Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, can anyone doing computing at woodhouse tell me what programming language you use? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kake55)
    Hey everyone, can anyone doing computing at woodhouse tell me what programming language you use? Thanks

Anyone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump, anyone know the answer to my above question?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think its a bit late to apply?

You can always just call them and ask or email them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've already had my interview, It's just that I forgot to ask and there is no mention of it anywhere on their website.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the exam board they use is AQA so maybe you can search on the AQA website?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    AQA allows a choice of:
    Pascal, VB.6, VB.Net, Python, Java

Hence the question, I've already started learning some languages but want to know which one to focus on.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanLJG)
    No, it's Ms Stanton and Ms Lewis now
    Who is in Mrs Stantons class now?
    Cos she was a pretty good tutor
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Hi! I am doing AS Computing at Woodhouse at the moment! We were all taught Visual Basic for the course.
    Hope this helped, feel free to message me with more questions
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dying-divinity)
    Hi! I am doing AS Computing at Woodhouse at the moment! We were all taught Visual Basic for the course.
    Hope this helped, feel free to message me with more questions
    Thank you! One last question , Which version of visual basic do you use? The AQA spec says Vb6 or vb.net but afaik Vb 2010 is just a newer version of Vb.net which is a newer version of Vb.6.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I still hand in my direct offer letter even if I missed the deadline? (21st Feb)

I know there were still direct offer interviews last week so I think I could be able to hand it in without any problems?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm really stressed as I will have an interview at Woodhouse soon, any hints on what should I wear and what should I know (etiquette or similar things)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for for Woodhouse tomorrow and im picking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Religious Studies. What kind of questions would they ask me for those subjects because I have no idea what is going to be thrown at me. I picked them to do medicine and thats basically the reason for it, any tips I need to know?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HassanAD)
    I have an interview for for Woodhouse tomorrow and im picking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Religious Studies. What kind of questions would they ask me for those subjects because I have no idea what is going to be thrown at me. I picked them to do medicine and thats basically the reason for it, any tips I need to know?
    :O woodhouse do RE? , why are you doing RE btw? im curious, Im not 100% sure but I hear its blacklisted?

edit: When I had my interview 2 years ago I was applying for bio,chem,math and psycho (applied for medicine as well). Essentialy people get asked different things. Some teachers bring up a current affair in your subject and ask you to comment on it, or solve a question, but something you wouldnt have neccessarily done at GCSE. Dont give up with they give you a hard question, they dont care if you get it right. My tips are just relax, be yourself because most of the interviewers will be very friendly and students too.

Oh and some people did come in suits back then, but it was a minority. Dress casual smart.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from woodhouse yet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,Everyone
    I am current AS student at Woodhouse , studying , Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature. I would say Woodhouse is a really good college -that is if you want to achieve well , the support is there for you and you can ask for help at any time. Just like any place it depends on the person ! But , I would defiantly recommend it and if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them

Just remember start working consistently from the beginning it will pay off !!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! One last question , Which version of visual basic do you use? The AQA spec says Vb6 or vb.net but afaik Vb 2010 is just a newer version of Vb.net which is a newer version of Vb.6.

Hi, we're using VB.NET in general as we were all taught it at Woodhouse, but there are other options on the spec: C# and Pascal.
    In the second year I'm pretty sure you can use which ever language you feel most comfortable with.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dying-divinity)
    Hi, we're using VB.NET in general as we were all taught it at Woodhouse, but there are other options on the spec: C# and Pascal.
    In the second year I'm pretty sure you can use which ever language you feel most comfortable with.
    Are you sure? All this time I thought we were working in vb2005 since that's what the book goes through :/

Not that it probably makes much of a difference
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Maz-)
    Are you sure? All this time I thought we were working in vb2005 since that's what the book goes through :/

Not that it probably makes much of a difference
    Yup 100% sure we are using VB.NET in Visual Studio 2008.

The book goes through VB 2005, Pascal and C# right... But the preliminary material is released in many more languages than this including Java, Python etc.

Don't worry too much about it There's really not much difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer and im taking Geography as one of my AS subjects, apparently i have to pay £270 as an additional cost, does that money have to be given in cheque when i send back the acceptance form along with the two other cheques for materials and resources?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 14, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.