The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by joelchan
Doubt it, but make sure f your sending it that its well packed otherwise with it being transported from place to place t could easily burst open, It's only a zip after all. Shouldn't be a problem f your folio isnt too full.

Thanks!
Reply 201
Anyone got an interview for Falmouth?
Reply 202
yeah, i have an interview on the 6th of feb but im coming from surrey so i have to go on sunday and get a b&b to be there on time in the morning :-s

anyone else heading down on the 5th from london? and what are people wearing, this is my first interview and i dont know how formal i should dress (jeans and blouse or dress ) ???
Original post by rewsa
yeah, i have an interview on the 6th of feb but im coming from surrey so i have to go on sunday and get a b&b to be there on time in the morning :-s

anyone else heading down on the 5th from london? and what are people wearing, this is my first interview and i dont know how formal i should dress (jeans and blouse or dress ) ???

i personally don't think jeans would be a good idea. considering this is a university interview, i'd do smart casual: blouse, blazer and a skirt, a dress if you're the more fancy type. don't overdress and just keep it simple. but jeans is a no-no!

hope this helps x
Original post by rewsa

oh, and maybe a jumper too. that'd look nice :smile:
hey guys! anyone knows a good uni for foundation?
Original post by novskayaxev
hey guys! anyone knows a good uni for foundation?

Are you sure you want to go to university to do a foundation course, instead of your local college? It doesn't really matter where you do your foundation as the courses are pretty generic, and many, if not most, people do them locally because you aren't eligible for students loans. Worth thinking about.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Are you sure you want to go to university to do a foundation course, instead of your local college? It doesn't really matter where you do your foundation as the courses are pretty generic, and many, if not most, people do them locally because you aren't eligible for students loans. Worth thinking about.

ah yeah never thought about that. thanks! so where would be a good one? i'm considering the joint foundation year at ual, but ehh, any other suggestions?
ah yeah never thought about that. thanks! so where would be a good one? i'm considering the joint foundation year at ual, but ehh, any other suggestions?

I'd seriously consider the nearest one to where you live, to save money. Admission to the degree courses is by portfolio, and that's totally up to you and your talent, not the course. Anywhere that's a big name for its degrees will be very popular for its foundation on the assumption that it's a back door way in to the degree course, but how well that works in practice someone else on here will be better placed to advise you. If money's no object, then anywhere you fancy. If it's for this year, make sure you look at the deadlines for application, because quite a few of them have been closed for a while.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'd seriously consider the nearest one to where you live, to save money. Admission to the degree courses is by portfolio, and that's totally up to you and your talent, not the course. Anywhere that's a big name for its degrees will be very popular for its foundation on the assumption that it's a back door way in to the degree course, but how well that works in practice someone else on here will be better placed to advise you. If money's no object, then anywhere you fancy. If it's for this year, make sure you look at the deadlines for application, because quite a few of them have been closed for a while.

thanks! i've actually applied through UCAS already, but just incase i didn't get into the ones that i like, i think i might do a foundation year and re-apply next year. but thanks so much for your help! x
thanks! i've actually applied through UCAS already, but just incase i didn't get into the ones that i like, i think i might do a foundation year and re-apply next year. but thanks so much for your help! x

No prob.:smile:
Reply 211
i personally don't think jeans would be a good idea. considering this is a university interview, i'd do smart casual: blouse, blazer and a skirt, a dress if you're the more fancy type. don't overdress and just keep it simple. but jeans is a no-no!

hope this helps x

Everyone at the interview I went to just wore their usual clothes. Well at least that what it seemed like. Nothing special. Show your personality, not some generic interview look as if its your first day at work.
Original post by rewsa

I haven't had any interviews yet, but since it's for an art course I wouldn't go wearing something traditionally smart, or even smart-casual. If you have a particular style, I'd stick with that as long as it's not inappropriate (e.g. I don't think it'd be the best idea to go wearing fishnet tights and a corset if that's the way you normally dress!).

Showing your personality through your clothes would be a good thing, I'd think. It'd make you stand out a bit from anyone else who decided to go smartly-dressed, and if you have a particularly distinctive fashion sense it'll help you stick in their minds when they review everyone at the end of the interviews. For example, a girl with bright pink hair is going to be someone they'll remember, even if it's only because of her hair and not her work. She might then have an advantage over someone plain-looking with mediocre work, 'cause the interviewers will think "oh yeah, I remember her, she's the one with the weird hair...".

Of course, I'm not saying that normal-looking people will be at a disadvantage because of their appearance. Just that they might be less memorable if their work isn't particularly note-worthy.

I hope you get what I mean, I feel liking I'm digging myself into a bit of a hole here!

EDIT: Uh, why the neg? I basically said the same as the others who answered!
(edited 12 years ago)
i had an interview at kent yesterday for fine art (and got an offer which im really excited about) and in terms of dress everyone was really quite casual or at least looked like they had dressed like they normally would, saying that noone wore blue jeans, just black ones or or other coloured jean-like trousers. and because it's art the interviews and professors are usually quite informal anyways (and at my interview the profs were wearing jeans with shirts and jumpers).
Original post by rewsa

Depends where you're going really, but usually art interviews are full of...shall we say eccentric types? Just don't look boring I'd say.
Reply 215
Just got an email from Kingston about my interview for the foundation course! :smile:

It's on the 9th, has anyone else got an interview then? What are you wearing to it?
Reply 216
Original post by rewsa

Hey is this for Falmouth? If so what course you going for and mines March (:

On the clothes issue i went to a uni interview the other day and everyone just went casual, you dont need to dress up in particularly, just wear something casual (: itll breet :smile:
Reply 217
Original post by randombelle
Ahhhhhhh- Interview at Lancaster on Wednesday :s SO SCARED! Has anyone else got an interview that day and if so, what are you taking for the 10 pieces- i.e. are you taking original canvases etc. Also, what are you wearing?! Good Luck everyone!!! :smile:

I got accepted, did you?
Anyone have any idea when ECA or GSA get back to you after you've submitted your portfolio?
Probably early days, but I'm so nervous haha! :s-smilie:
Original post by burnamiracle
Anyone have any idea when ECA or GSA get back to you after you've submitted your portfolio?
Probably early days, but I'm so nervous haha! :s-smilie:

When my son applied in 2010, GSA was before Easter and ECA was May 9th.

Quick Reply

Latest