The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princeling
What Joel said. You don't need to put in life drawing if it's completely irrelevant to your artistic practice, but 2D work related to your 3D or other work is important as it shows your development, as well as provide at least some evidence of basic drawing skill.

That's what I'm trying to work out. I guess there are links to my work, but not particularly strong ones.
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Anyone sending a portfolio without any drawing in? I'm seriously considering it - I just don't do any!

I didn't really
Could risk looking too a levelly just putting in a drawing for the sake of it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 362
http://1072028404.tumblr.com/

Heres the e portfolio that i sent to wimbledon, its moved along quite a bit though so my slade and goldsmiths portfolios will be a bit different, i would love to know what you think as i feel that my work it a bit different to a lot of what i have seen so fare
Reply 363
Anyone sending a portfolio without any drawing in? I'm seriously considering it - I just don't do any!

I generally don't either, it's just not my thing! But i've got an A1 drawing and some small A5 ones i forced myself to do as it shows variety, but i don't think i'm that good at drawing so i avoid it! :s-smilie:
Original post by kaylafrances
I didn't really
Could risk looking too a levelly just putting in a drawing for the sake of it

The last 2 or 3 images are a nightmare for me, its like I want to really round everything up but apparently my work does really do that.
The last 2 or 3 images are a nightmare for me, its like I want to really round everything up but apparently my work does really do that.

Hmm yeah you're meant to finish with something quite strong. I wouldn't worry too much about it though
I think I'm done :redface:
Hmm yeah you're meant to finish with something quite strong. I wouldn't worry too much about it though
I think I'm done :redface:

Me too, think I need a drink haha. I guess at the end of the day they'll either like our work or not!
Original post by JWirz

Heres the e portfolio that i sent to wimbledon, its moved along quite a bit though so my slade and goldsmiths portfolios will be a bit different, i would love to know what you think as i feel that my work it a bit different to a lot of what i have seen so fare

Fantastic! I mean, not the first or second time I've seen mold and bacteria being used in student work, but very aesthetically interesting and v. well presented concepts. I'd say you have a strong portfolio there, and if you've moved it along quite a bit, you're doing pretty damn good.

Only thing I would say is that layout-wise, be careful of mounting/presenting with a black background. My tutors say this makes work look A-level-ly, idk.
Reply 368
Original post by JWirz

I really like it, I'm actually doing something so similar!!! I did a few things with organic matter to observe the mould as well! smelly process isn't it?
Only a few things though so don't worry I've only included a rotten apple to mine :tongue:

Your work is very unique, experimental and they will like how you've explored something. Did you compile those sketchbook pages purposely for the portfolio or were they like that? I'm struggling to chose pages for my own.
Me too, think I need a drink haha. I guess at the end of the day they'll either like our work or not!

Haha same. My dad even said on the phone today to someone that I've been working really hard lately... Which I don't think I've ever heard before. Owww this is so harrrrd

I still need to write my lil statement for brighton tomorrow :frown:
Reply 370
cheers men, thanks for saying about the black, i changed it to white yesterday for goldsmiths but no can do about falmouth
Those were just sketchbook pages, i wanted to show how my project had progressed so i chose pages from a range of my course, didn't want to include any pre-major project though
and indeed yes, mould is smelly stuff
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha same. My dad even said on the phone today to someone that I've been working really hard lately... Which I don't think I've ever heard before. Owww this is so harrrrd

I still need to write my lil statement for brighton tomorrow :frown:

I need to sort Brighton too, and some how prepare for Wimbledon in 9 days. It's my 2nd choice too so the pressure's on. I'm going to sleep for a month once all this is done!
Did you visit Brighton? I've never been, oops.
Reply 372
Original post by JWirz

Its facinating, I like how all your work flows, the scientific approach and labelling is great - I know they love to see a common thread of someones developing practice and you've got that covered! Theres a definate sense that you've moved beyond 'project work' (which they hate) to develop your own interest and ideas.
I need to sort Brighton too, and some how prepare for Wimbledon in 9 days. It's my 2nd choice too so the pressure's on. I'm going to sleep for a month once all this is done!
Did you visit Brighton? I've never been, oops.

Haha noope but its coool
I've got wimbledon tooo. Whens your interview? I've got a few weeks stillll
I don't even know I'd love to go to alllll my choices but probably goldsmiths is top for the art history part
Original post by JWirz

it's really lovely this portfolio it shines through that you genuinely love and enjoy what you're doing to me..
Haha noope but its coool
I've got wimbledon tooo. Whens your interview? I've got a few weeks stillll
I don't even know I'd love to go to alllll my choices but probably goldsmiths is top for the art history part

14th! If I'm honest there's only really Goldsmiths or Wimbledon I want :colondollar:
14th! If I'm honest there's only really Goldsmiths or Wimbledon I want :colondollar:

Ah mines 21st
Goood luck you'll be fine :smile: :smile:
Ah mines 21st
Goood luck you'll be fine :smile: :smile:

Which course did you apply for? I think I got one of the earlier interviews - boooooo.
Which course did you apply for? I think I got one of the earlier interviews - boooooo.

Painting, you?

Aww I dunnno, I think mine is when they're seeing internal UAL students I'm not sure
Painting, you?

Aww I dunnno, I think mine is when they're seeing internal UAL students I'm not sure

Sculpture! Oh right, you'll get in easily then. Wish I could've done my foundation course there :frown:

Quick Reply