The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kaylafrances
no they werent allowing any files to upload past 12, so even if it was accessible or open i dont think it wouldve made a difference to our applications

Oh right, that's ok then :colondollar:
Hi everyone!

I'm new to thestudentroom but decided to get involved!

I have applied for Fine art at:
Leeds uni
Slade UCL
Chelsea UAL
Central Saint Martins UAL
Edinburgh

heres a link to my selected portfolio :smile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliviabambrough
Reply 422
Why are Brightons entry requirements so low. It put me off applying but now I'm starting to think that its such a good location! full of culture!
Original post by joelchan
Why are Brightons entry requirements so low. It put me off applying but now I'm starting to think that its such a good location! full of culture!

Entry requirements mean **** all. Why are you basing the quality of teaching and how good the institution is on what grade requirements they have? This is fine art not maths.

Don't be fooled. It's highly regarded and hard to get in.
Reply 425
Entry requirements mean **** all. Why are you basing the quality of teaching and how good the institution is on what grade requirements they have? This is fine art not maths.

Well my logic was that everyone would be doing Art at A Level or equivalent/ above and if they only require BBC then that only require people to get a B in art. I would have thought that anyone wishing to study art would have an A or a foundation. Especially in such a competitive field. Even at my school usually everyone has to be predicted a B to be able to take art. I dont know. It wasnt the only thing I look at obviously.
Well my logic was that everyone would be doing Art at A Level or equivalent/ above and if they only require BBC then that only require people to get a B in art. I would have thought that anyone wishing to study art would have an A or a foundation. Especially in such a competitive field. Even at my school usually everyone has to be predicted a B to be able to take art. I dont know. It wasnt the only thing I look at obviously.

I got a B overall, but that doesn't determine my enthusiasm and ability in art. I strongly believe no one should progress to a Fine Art degree without doing a foundation. That is why I withdrew my application to the Slade (amongst other reasons), I would really feel uncomfortable being amongst people who I feel have no actual idea about the subject since they stupidly accept people straight from A Levels.
Reply 427

I dunno, the worst students make the best artists I hear, Hirst got an E at A level apparently
Reply 428
I got a B overall, but that doesn't determine my enthusiasm and ability in art. I strongly believe no one should progress to a Fine Art degree without doing a foundation. That is why I withdrew my application to the Slade (amongst other reasons), I would really feel uncomfortable being amongst people who I feel have no actual idea about the subject since they stupidly accept people straight from A Levels.

AGREED, Foundation changed my life
It's all about the portfolio.
Reply 430
Original post by Soares
I dunno, the worst students make the best artists I hear, Hirst got an E at A level apparently

Oh dont start with Hirst. I wrote half of my extended project on why he wasnt a legitimate artist. Not to mention the critics hate him. http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/oct/14/damien-hirst-paintings-wallace-collection I still cant believe they closed the Rothko room for the hirst exhibition at the tate. I wanted to see those again. Maybe if he had his factory full of art assistants working for him when he was doing A levels he might have passed.
Oh dont start with Hirst. I wrote half of my extended project on why he wasnt a legitimate artist. Not to mention the critics hate him. http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/oct/14/damien-hirst-paintings-wallace-collection I still cant believe they closed the Rothko room for the hirst exhibition at the tate. I wanted to see those again. Maybe if he had his factory full of art assistants working for him when he was doing A levels he might have passed.

Was about to say how hirst wasn't a good example. But grades actually mean **** all and you'll learn that.

And all professional artists have assisants.
Reply 432

Whaaa, i find him brilliant
Reply 433
except those paintings
Reply 434
Was about to say how hirst wasn't a good example. But grades actually mean **** all and you'll learn that.

And all professional artists have assisants.

Yeah but not ones that paint entire paintings for an artist. Most artists have assistants who assist... And I agree that other grades mean nothing. But certainly the art grade should be reasonably high. Whether they can do physics is besides the point. Hahah I'm glad you agree about Hirst. One of my teachers likes his work and we always end up in debate, shes rubbish at debating though :L
Reply 435
A levels are too formal to prove anything about art
Original post by Soares
A levels are too formal to prove anything about art

definitely agree, i think it's more what you do out of school that matters, how you go the extra and pursue your interests. i doubt they even look at grades, it's the personal statement & portfolio that matters (I hope). That said i'm not 100% confident about that... our foundation tutor said that often people who have c's and d's in their grades often are the most interesting.

i submitted to chelsea today. Last mini portfolio and now just waiting. Really worried i'm going to get all rejects. Let us know everybody how you get on.
Reply 437
Original post by joverbena
definitely agree, i think it's more what you do out of school that matters, how you go the extra and pursue your interests. i doubt they even look at grades, it's the personal statement & portfolio that matters (I hope). That said i'm not 100% confident about that... our foundation tutor said that often people who have c's and d's in their grades often are the most interesting.

i submitted to chelsea today. Last mini portfolio and now just waiting. Really worried i'm going to get all rejects. Let us know everybody how you get on.

Hand delivering mine tomorrow morning :rolleyes: and that'll be the last of my mini portfolios :biggrin:
Original post by joverbena

that's great to hear, because i have a C! it's mainly because of health problems i had, but yeah.
i couldn't agree more though, at interviews i've been told that my school work shows skill but it's not what i'm about at all, and that my personal sketchbooks are where it's at. i'm so relieved at this (and not to mention excited) that i'll be creating what i want to next year, not something that ticks boxes!
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's all about the portfolio.

And the person, I'd argue so anyway. If you've got someone who makes fantastic work but is boring as hell and seems disinterested against someone who is maybe just coming in to their own in terms of style and practice but is really passionate I'd think the latter would be the one to get the place.

Quick Reply

Latest