The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Village Whisper
Did you get an interview for Leeds College of Art or Goldsmiths? Also, what was the Nottingham Trent interview like?

Leeds I got rejected outright, but I did get an interview at Goldsmiths. The Notts Trent one was through UCAS Extra, so it wasn't exactly same as a normal interview but it was fine!
They took me and another girl round all the facilities (which are really, really good if you've not been) explained how the course ran, what was available and what to expect and general information and then we had separate interviews. I was interviewed by 2 of the tutors, but normally there's a current student in there too. They just asked me general stuff about why I wanted to apply, where I saw my work going and what I was particularly interested in. There were a few trickier questions like what I felt was my most successful piece of work, what I found most challenging or difficult and what was the best exhibition I'd ever been to, but to be honest it was the easiest interview I had!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by irina793
Hi guys!

I know it's probably very early for this thread, but everyone else seems to have one for their subject, so I thought I'd make one for us as well.

I'll go first:

user name: irina793
subject: fine art
A-levels, foundation or equivalent: doing equivalent for A-levels, predicted 9.7 out of 10 in the "Diploma de Bacalaureat" ( cause I'm from Romania :smile: )
applying at: oxford, ucl, edinburgh, glasgow and leeds.

hey guys! :]]

me:

user name: novskayaxev
subject: fine art
AS level: AAAAAA
A2: (doing) art, german, english, history and maths
applying to: ucl, edinburgh, kingston, newcastle and ual

i've only sent off my portfolio to kingston (which i haven't heard from yet) cus they only required 10 pieces. the other deadlines are somewhere around end of january so i'm still working on them.

glad to know some of you have already had interviews!
good luck everyone!

novskaya ^_^
Reply 42
Original post by drowners
Hi just sent my aplication for mostly fine art degrees, so nervous for potential interviews/sending portfolios '-' nah not ready for these kind of things :s-smilie:
A2: art, photography, geog,bio
Applied to:reading(4yearart)Lancaster(fineart)Leeds(art an design)Gloucester(fine art photo) an Plymouth(fine art).

definitely agreed about being nervous for potential interviews and portfolios! :s-smilie:
A2: art, history, english lit
AS: art, history, english lit, psychology
applied to: portsmouth, nottingham trent, reading, london met, ucl
Reply 43
haha, well... It was ok, I think. The test didn't really give you much room to be very creative (there were questions like: make a model of a person sitting in the room; draw a skeleton; draw the room from above etc)
And the interviews were ok, honestly I was expecting something really scary and, I dunno, grilling, but the questions weren't that bad. But I did think they were kinda rushed: for instance, in my ruskin interview there were 5 tutors asking questions one after the other and it only lasted 20 minutes, so I dunno how fair an opinion they could make of me after just 1 or 2 question asked per tutor.
Well, that's pretty much it, I guess.... I'll let you know when I receive my letter :biggrin:

i had an oxford interview as well, felt prity similar tbh, sept i was interviewed by only 3 people,

also apllying to slade, wimbledon, falmouth and goldsmiths, im doin a foundation atm at leeds collage of art and i got A* art A*History and B drama
Reply 44
Does design fit here as well? :smile:

Applying to: Theatre Design
Doing at the moment: Foundation in Art & Design
A levels: Lit, Politics, History, Music, Film Studies, English, Biology (Yeah, couldnt do Art at my school)
Applying at: Royal Welsh, Central, LIPA, Wimbledon and Aberystwyth. Maybe RCS as well.
Reply 45
Just got an interview at Lancaster!
Original post by joelchan
Just got an interview at Lancaster!

letter or email???? Well done!!!!!! :smile:
Were any of you guys at the Slade Open Day on Wednesday? :smile:
Original post by randombelle
Were any of you guys at the Slade Open Day on Wednesday? :smile:

I was there on Tuesday.
Reply 49
letter or email???? Well done!!!!!! :smile:

Letter. Its on the 18th of Jan.
Reply 50
Im doing an ABC Fine Art Foundation (started last year with a BTEC National but my college switched the second year into a foundation - better for getting straight into Uni)

Applying for... Fine Art @ CSM, Chelsea, Camberwell, Goldsmiths and Fine Art & History of Art at Goldsmiths

Completed UCAS form was sent by college yesterday (15/12/2011)

Trying to put together a portfolio - overwhwelming process!

Id be interested to hear peoples takes on the different unis....

** Im mostly drawn to camberwell - great facilities and atmosphere - brilliant selection of workshops where you can learn anything from specific computer packages, to animation, letter press, photography - anything, no matter what pathway you are on. Their 2011 degree show was my favourite, Camberwells also a brilliant place to live.
** Love that chelsea doesnt have pathways and the location - facilities are a disapointment though (no wet process rooms ie: Printing and no darkrooms, very small studio 'corners').
** CSM seems vibrant ideas-wise and their new building is fantastic - but lack of 1:1 tutor time and atmosphere is a bit cold.
** Love that Goldsmiths is not just an arts uni, facilities are great, but I found their degree show and the students who were there to be a bit on the pretentious side - but maybe I just met the wrong students, I know Goldsmiths students on other courses who are very down to earth - Im torn on this one.

On the UCAS forms... colleges all have different deadlines, the actual UCAS deadline isnt till january sometime - best to get it in as soon as possible but make sure its checked and checked again - only send when you're happy with it.

As soon as I do a portfolio I'll put it up - be great to see everyones work.

Im so excited!
Reply 51
Offer from Oxford!! :biggrin:

Aw, well done! If you get an offer from UCL as well, would you go there or Oxford?

Well done!!!! :smile:!
Reply 54
Well done!!!! :smile:!

thanks! :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Village Whisper
Aw, well done! If you get an offer from UCL as well, would you go there or Oxford?

Thank you! :smile: I think... Oxford.
Interview at Lancaster and Offer from Bristol!!!!!!! :smile:
Reply 57
Congrats on your offers!
Reply 58
I applied for fine art at: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Dundee, Reading
foundation course at: St Martins, Kingston, Plymouth

Got my oxford rejection letter today. :frown: Oh god, remembering back, my Ruskin panel interview was horrific!

Has anyone heard from St Martins or Kingston? I sent my application off to St Martins and they got it but I haven't heard from them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Phlan
I applied for fine art at: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Dundee, Reading
foundation course at: St Martins, Kingston, Plymouth

Got my oxford rejection letter today. :frown: Oh god, remembering back, my Ruskin panel interview was horrific!

Has anyone heard from St Martins or Kingston? I sent my application off to St Martins and they got it but I haven't heard from them.

So sorry to hear that :frown: Did you have your interview upstairs or downstairs?

Quick Reply

Latest