The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joelchan
Erm, I dont know actually hahah, Just the way you talk about stuff and use IMO, which i'll be honest I had to google to find the meaning of. And your tumblr homepage photo is full of Swag. :rolleyes:

HAHA oh god, so embarassing, I should change that photo. :tongue: Thanks man. :cool:

Original post by kaylafrances
loooool bumbum licky

Have you been drinking? :bl:

Original post by rayray12310
mmm, i guess its only fair that i post my stuff too, though its only my photography i have anywhere online-but tht is like 70% of my portfolio so yeah, wish id captioned stuff cos it might just seem a lot random without knowing the different concepts, but im going to stop rambling now and try to get something other than tears from criticisms lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/camaraphoto/sets/
oh and one or two things are for work and not "fine art" if you were thinking they were kinda commercial-esque

Nice stuff. I like your work with the human body, and your handwriting = wow. Doll work is a bit overdone though - I was actually warned by my tutors not to do too much of that, because they see it all the time. :colondollar: "Fragment from a Catacomb" is freaky-good! Also that life drawing with drawers/shelves coming out of the body has a surreal horror aspect to it, which is exactly the kind of thing I like. :wink:

Not sure if there's anyone applying to Slade here who still hasn't seen this thread (I know most of us has) but yeah: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Slade_School_of_Art_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry

No one's updated it with an interview offer though. :rolleyes:
no bab just high on life
Hey everyone :hi: staggered upon this miracle of a find when I was frantically googling up info on Slade, waiting to hear back like most people on here it seems :smile:

I am currently on a foundation course.

Have applied to:

Cardiff - offer
Wimbledon- interview on 28th
De Montfort - interview 1st march
Brighton - sent off my online portfolio today!
Slade - waiting to hear back
Reply 703
Original post by hardlifeartstudent
I was starting to think I was rejected from everywhere as they were taking so long. My interview for the Slade is on the 5th of March.

http://lucycrump.tumblr.com/
It was only very quickly put together as I seem to have forgotten my flickr page.

Where have you applied to?

Also, Has anyone heard back from Falmouth yet?

Very interesting, love the concepts in your work
What size are your sketchbooks btw? A5? Its just that I work in A5 ones and I'm getting a bit concerned that my choices would want to see like an A3 size catalogue of everything at interview......
lololol, when, I don't actually have one, and I really don't want to purposely compile one.
Might sound like a weird question :colondollar: but are they small A5?

Also what does everyone else think?
Original post by Princeling
Nice stuff. I like your work with the human body, and your handwriting = wow. Doll work is a bit overdone though - I was actually warned by my tutors not to do too much of that, because they see it all the time. :colondollar: "Fragment from a Catacomb" is freaky-good! Also that life drawing with drawers/shelves coming out of the body has a surreal horror aspect to it, which is exactly the kind of thing I like. :wink:

thanks for ur comments, i see what u mean about the doll stuff, it was AS stuff so hopefully im doing better since then, thanks about the handwriting too, i went to a primary school where we did handwriting lessons three times a week and u got a prize if you stayed within the lines and everything was joined up and i was really competitive about silly stuff like that lol
Original post by kindkydinky
Hey everyone :hi: staggered upon this miracle of a find when I was frantically googling up info on Slade, waiting to hear back like most people on here it seems :smile:

I am currently on a foundation course.

Have applied to:

Cardiff - offer
Wimbledon- interview on 28th
De Montfort - interview 1st march
Brighton - sent off my online portfolio today!
Slade - waiting to hear back

Whassup! Studentroom IS a treasure of a find, welcome. :smile: Scroll back a few pages for lots of useful information.

I'm applying to Slade too, still haven't heard back. :c Did you apply for BA or BFA, and which day did you give in your portfolio?

thanks for ur comments, i see what u mean about the doll stuff, it was AS stuff so hopefully im doing better since then, thanks about the handwriting too, i went to a primary school where we did handwriting lessons three times a week and u got a prize if you stayed within the lines and everything was joined up and i was really competitive about silly stuff like that lol

Nice. My handwriting is cursive recently as well, but it's kind of schizophrenic and random, not all neat and Renaissance-old school like yours. :biggrin:

Original post by Soares
Very interesting, love the concepts in your work
What size are your sketchbooks btw? A5? Its just that I work in A5 ones and I'm getting a bit concerned that my choices would want to see like an A3 size catalogue of everything at interview......
lololol, when, I don't actually have one, and I really don't want to purposely compile one.
Might sound like a weird question :colondollar: but are they small A5?

Also what does everyone else think?

I work in small sketchbooks... one A4 = main artistic practice concepts, and A5 for galleries/own thoughts/recent inspirations, stuff like that. I've got about 4 sketchbooks so far, but I've read that Slade cares far more about final work than sketchbooks... not so much for the other unis, I think. But yeah, A3 is very A-levely, in my opinion. I do have a friend who works in an A3 brown-papered sketchbook, but it's huge and heavy (she nearly went over the portfolio weight limit just because of this sketchbook). But to each your own, the size doesn't really matter and there's no standard. (Except moleskin, LOL, everyone uses moleskin. Art students...)

Ahh, why are we all still here? Should be in bed.
I'm applying to Slade too, still haven't heard back. :c Did you apply for BA or BFA, and which day did you give in your portfolio?

i've applied for the 3yr course :tongue: always get confused which one is which? perhaps not a good start haha

I posted my portfolio to them after much careful calculation and consideration (£15 ParcelForce :cool: ) would have cost me £60 by train, speaks for itself. I believe it was delivered on the 7th (tuesday) I've since had it sent back to me, however not a word from slade. What about yourself? :smile:

i've applied for the 3yr course :tongue: always get confused which one is which? perhaps not a good start haha

I posted my portfolio to them after much careful calculation and consideration (£15 ParcelForce :cool: ) would have cost me £60 by train, speaks for itself. I believe it was delivered on the 7th (tuesday) I've since had it sent back to me, however not a word from slade. What about yourself? :smile:

ah my apologies, this is for Princeling, seems i've screwed up the quotes...i'll get the hang.

That's the BFA then, we applied for the same course. :biggrin: IMO we have better chances because it's the less popular choice. And I went on the Wednesday ;D No news either, but two guys in my foundation heard Thursday night at 9PM. Hoping we'll hear tomorrow! Good luck to you.
Reply 709
:bl::bl::bl::bl:
WHAT IS THAT?! A banana riding a dinosaur or am I high. Also RayRay your sketchbook is soooo neat :eek: Mine is like if you imagine yours got torn to shreds and then I tried put back together with elastic and prit stick.
WHAT IS THAT?! A banana riding a dinosaur or am I high. Also RayRay your sketchbook is soooo neat :eek: Mine is like if you imagine yours got torn to shreds and then I tried put back together with elastic and prit stick.

LOL oh my god too many gifs... And I actually believe it is that banana ring tone guy riding a... I don't know. :c

:penguin::troll::badger:

Studentroom has loads of extremely weird emoticons.
That's the BFA then, we applied for the same course. :biggrin: IMO we have better chances because it's the less popular choice. And I went on the Wednesday ;D No news either, but two guys in my foundation heard Thursday night at 9PM. Hoping we'll hear tomorrow! Good luck to you.

:biggrin: get in!!! That's very kind, fingers crossed for you also.
hmm, slightly worrying seeing as some people have heard back, I guess the 'rejection before acceptance' theory is not exactly bang on.

To be fair, although it would be nothing less than euphoric to get an interview from slade, I'm not too worried about it. Slade was a wildcard for me and i'm not holding my breath as my style is quite painterly and I hear they aren't too keen on that, i'm totally cool with it.

Well, fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow :wink:
:biggrin: get in!!! That's very kind, fingers crossed for you also.
hmm, slightly worrying seeing as some people have heard back, I guess the 'rejection before acceptance' theory is not exactly bang on.

To be fair, although it would be nothing less than euphoric to get an interview from slade, I'm not too worried about it. Slade was a wildcard for me and i'm not holding my breath as my style is quite painterly and I hear they aren't too keen on that, i'm totally cool with it.

Well, fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow :wink:

That's what I thought as well, but they DO have an entire painting discipline separate from sculpture and new media, and one of the dudes who got an interview on my foundation does almost purely painting stuff. So don't worry. We're good! :beer:

it's a banana on a porcupinosaurus rex

you're high

i hate how neat my sketchbooks are, it drives me crazy, i love everyone else's sketchbooks on here and in my class which are bursting and about to fall apart. i opted for a4 and a5 sketchcbooks this year in the hopes tht the smaller size would make me messier (but in that arty way) but nocando, there's something inside me that strives for neatness and photos stuck down perfectly aligned, its kind of funny considering how disgustingly messy my room is :/
That's what I thought as well, but they DO have an entire painting discipline separate from sculpture and new media, and one of the dudes who got an interview on my foundation does almost purely painting stuff. So don't worry. We're good! :beer:

don't get my hopes up! haha :tongue:

here's some of my work if interested
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76108887@N05/sets/72157629374003461/

criticism and opinions are welcome. please ignore the awful bit of writing, I had the worst case of writer's block imaginable and just waffled on for ages, most of it doesn't even make much sense
(edited 12 years ago)
i hate how neat my sketchbooks are, it drives me crazy, i love everyone else's sketchbooks on here and in my class which are bursting and about to fall apart. i opted for a4 and a5 sketchcbooks this year in the hopes tht the smaller size would make me messier (but in that arty way) but nocando, there's something inside me that strives for neatness and photos stuck down perfectly aligned, its kind of funny considering how disgustingly messy my room is :/

Haha, you remind me of a friend on the foundation... she's also extremely neat. The tutors told her not to be so neat and so she tore out all the pages and re-started the whole sketchbook. :colonhash: I'm more than a bit of a perfectionist, but when it comes to neat... I can't do anything really neat, haha.
don't get my hopes up! haha :tongue:

here's some of my work if interested
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76108887@N05/sets/72157629374003461/

criticism and opinions are welcome. please ignore the awful bit of writing, I had the worst case of writer's block imaginable and just waffled on for ages, most of it doesn't even make much sense

I really like yours! No offence to anyone else on here (and I mean that, 'cause some of your work is obviously Slade-worthy and impressive), but your portfolio is much more my kind of thing. It's really good :smile:

Aaand, we're applying for the same Brighton course :smile: I really hope I get an interview, I've wanted to go there for years.

By the way, how did you manage to get your writing bit on there so it wasn't uploaded as a photo? I tried for ages to make mine like that!
Original post by Village Whisper
I really like yours! No offence to anyone else on here (and I mean that, 'cause some of your work is obviously Slade-worthy and impressive), but your portfolio is much more my kind of thing. It's really good :smile:

Aaand, we're applying for the same Brighton course :smile: I really hope I get an interview, I've wanted to go there for years.

By the way, how did you manage to get your writing bit on there so it wasn't uploaded as a photo? I tried for ages to make mine like that!

Each to their own I always say :smile: thank you very much, nice to get some feedback :biggrin: is there a link to your work in the previous posts I could have a look at?

I'd love to get an interview at Brighton, sounds like a lovely place but if i'm being honest I applied mainly because it's one of not many unis with good reputation by the sea...kinda comes from growing up on the coast. I sent off my online portfolio yesterday, have you sent yours? Good luck to you, fingers crossed :smile:

as for the writing bit if you create a 'set' of your photos you can then click on edit set and it takes you into a seprate window where you can retitle all your work, that's where it gives you the space to write down stuff too on the left hand side of the window under the title. kinda hard to explain, sorry hope that helps a bit
(edited 12 years ago)
Each to their own I always say :smile: thank you very much, nice to get some feedback :biggrin: is there a link to your work in the previous posts I could have a look at?

I'd love to get an interview at Brighton, sounds like a lovely place but if i'm being honest I applied mainly because it's one of not many unis with good reputation by the sea...kinda comes from growing up on the coast. I sent off my online portfolio yesterday, have you sent yours? Good luck to you, fingers crossed :smile:

as for the writing bit if you create a 'set' of your photos you can then click on edit set and it takes you into a seprate window where you can retitle all your work, that's where it gives you the space to write down stuff too on the left hand side of the window under the title. kinda hard to explain, sorry hope that helps a bit

You're welcome :smile: Mine is http://www.flickr.com/photos/villagewhisper/ It's really annoying though, 'cause some of that stuff is from a while ago, and I've got some better work that I've done since I sent it to Brighton. I wish I'd had your deadline, mine was at the end of January! I'm not really expecting an interview, though...I think I was pushing it a bit by including the etchings, since it's a painting course! Oh well.

Did you go to the Brighton open day? Out of the four open days I've been to, that one was my favourite (that's including the Slade). Maybe that was because it was the first place I saw, but it's just really nice in general. But yeah, I partly applied there because it's by the sea, too :wink: I love that you'd get the city part of it, and the beach part too...It's completely different to where I live, where there's basically just a lot of fields.

I hope I hear back soon, and good luck to you too! :smile:

I think I get what you mean about the writing, now. I just left mine as a great long list, so maybe that's why I couldn't find it. I don't think there's much point in changing it now, though, since I have 244 views which I assume means they've already looked at it.

Quick Reply