The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KED
Good god - those Jenny Saville paintings are mind bogling :eek: !!!! Good luck with Slade :smile: Congrats on Lancaster and Newcastle - I hear that Newcastle is really good for Fine Art (ranked highly and I hear good things).

Thank You!! :smile:
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
That's really weird, because they pride themselves on not doing a lot of theory :/ I think you'll be good with the postcard one to be honest, maybe expand on a few of your points a bit?

Yeah, I guess they just want to see how we write or something? :/ Hopefully that means they'll just glance at it briefly. I think I'll go for the postcard, then, and just add in some extra bits I couldn't fit in before. It seems a bit of a waste of time having spent a while on that other one, though! Oh well, maybe I can use it in my FMP somehow.
Reply 762
Hey, how many of you guys are from Independant schools on here? I reckon I can pick out quite a few from what they say.
Original post by doodlekin
Hey, how many of you guys are from Independant schools on here? I reckon I can pick out quite a few from what they say.

who would you guess as being from an independent school then?

I'm intrigued as to how you can know this. Care to test this theory?
Reply 765
Original post by 91632
Anyone got an offer from LCA?

I did :smile: sooo happy, really like it there, anyone else??
Original post by dayzzz
I did :smile: sooo happy, really like it there, anyone else??

Ah, lucky! I didn't even get an interview. Do you have an online portfolio we could look at? :smile:
Original post by mrosa
Yeah no im doing a-level, to be honest though alot of my friends are doing foundations and though i think they are really valuable i want to get straight down to degree. Did you apply for BA/BFA for Slade?

and joverbena - thanks!

I thought I replied, jesus... losing my mind over Slade here.
I tried applying without foundation last year, failed. :tongue: I did get interviews for Edinburgh and Glasgow, but I didn't go. :colondollar:

I applied for the BFA. Hopefully that means I have more of a chance because it's the less popular course. I've heard that if there were 1000 applicants, it'd be roughly split like 300/700 for BFA/BA. Or at least 400/600. How about you?

Also, how can you tell who's from an independent school...? :confused:
Reply 768
Original post by Village Whisper
Ah, lucky! I didn't even get an interview. Do you have an online portfolio we could look at? :smile:

i never got round to doing an online portfolio, technology isn't my thing!! :/
Original post by dayzzz
i never got round to doing an online portfolio, technology isn't my thing!! :/

You didn't need one for any other places, then? It's okay, though, well done on getting an offer :tongue: It is really nice there.
Reply 770
You didn't need one for any other places, then? It's okay, though, well done on getting an offer :tongue: It is really nice there.

thankyou :smile: i had to put some images onto a disk for Leeds Uni and Lancaster had their own uploader thing but the others didn't want one so i managed to avoid it!!

Please guess who is from a private school!
Original post by dayzzz
thankyou :smile: i had to put some images onto a disk for Leeds Uni and Lancaster had their own uploader thing but the others didn't want one so i managed to avoid it!!

Oh, I guess that's a similar thing then. Did you get offers/interviews from them? Which is your top choice?

not me i'm from a crappy comprehensive school in Essex where i was bullied and scraped through my gcses, ended up truanting because i hated it so much...
Reply 774
Oh, I guess that's a similar thing then. Did you get offers/interviews from them? Which is your top choice?

got offers from Leeds Uni and Leeds Met and an interview for Lancaster, defo going LCA though it just seems really friendly!
Original post by dayzzz
got offers from Leeds Uni and Leeds Met and an interview for Lancaster, defo going LCA though it just seems really friendly!

Yeah, that's what I thought when I went to the open day. Is this for Fine Art? I kinda wish I'd applied to another Leeds uni as well, 'cause it's a really nice place. I'd never been there before the open day, though. It's like the buildings are a mix of old and modern, but they don't clash or anything. I've never seen so many interestingly-designed and coloured buildings in one place! It's not exactly close to where I live though, so it's not like I can go just to visit :/

Put it this way, although my list of schools says, marlborough, badminton, Millfield, Wells Cathedral School and Sidcot- I'm not proud.

Just because I have been to some of the best independent schools doesn't make me any different to people who attended State schools- I sure wish I had attended a state school.

Uni wise- I think that privately educated students are actually at a disadvantage because we are in the minority of students generally and there is a stigma surrounding private schools. :smile:
Reply 777
Original post by randombelle

Uni wise- I think that privately educated students are actually at a disadvantage because we are in the minority of students generally and there is a stigma surrounding private schools. :smile:

:eek: Eeek - sorry have to disagree with you there, the stats just dont bare out what you say - overwhelming numbers of students from independent schools get into the 'best' universities, add to that vast numbers of overseas students who (simply because it costs a damn fortune) also come from priviledged backgrounds......... at those Unis, privately educated students do not constitute a minority group.

I know state school students (3 personal friends) who went to Oxbridge and came out emotional wrecks, their confidence smashed to pieces - the atmosphere is definately one where you either have to 'fit in' to the pomp and ceremony or else suffer being an outsider - thats being stigmatised.

In terms of the elite art colleges, the same applies .....

Having said that, theres plenty of independent school students who've had a miserable time, were singled out and bullied or just never fit in - they're just a bit more likely to come out of it with a string of A's and A*s in the end than a state school student (therefore still gaining an advantage for the elite uni's)!

I went to state school , FE college - dropped out, have no A-levels and have worked since I was 18 (dont you just love the term 'mature student' :rolleyes:) - but art is not and shouldnt be about qualifications and while there is a snobby elitism in the art world, theres plenty of artists from more wealthy backrounds who reject that - I judge people on what they do, how they act, not where they come from.
Yeah, I guess they just want to see how we write or something? :/ Hopefully that means they'll just glance at it briefly. I think I'll go for the postcard, then, and just add in some extra bits I couldn't fit in before. It seems a bit of a waste of time having spent a while on that other one, though! Oh well, maybe I can use it in my FMP somehow.

They only scanned through mine, but that was through Extra so they probably just wanted to fill places :colondollar: Practice is practice I guess! If you get the two guys I had though you'll be fine, they're really nice and actually interested in you as a person instead of just explain-your-work-and-get-out like some.
Original post by dayzzz

When did you hear back from Leeds Uni? I've only just sent my portfolio off.

Quick Reply

Latest