The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by doodlekin
Sorry Joelchan: maybe we are getting our wires crossed. My comments about facilities was something I overheard at Lancs about READING, which I did not apply to. I got a place at Lancs though , as I believe you have too.

It may not be my first choice however.

I am in a waiting time now until I get my March A level results before making a final decision.

I thought Princeling said ACC, hence my comment, but if I am wrong, I take it back. Anyway, maybe we will see each other at Lancs, but I need to check out what is going on with the curriculum there as per much earlier on this thread, and what they said on the day about having to do other course options.

Ohhh Sorry, mea culpa. Same, I think I'll wait till march too. But It's likely their going to be my first unless CSM get back to me soon I think I'll withdraw I'm a little sick of waiting :/ Which minor subject would you take if you went there? I think I'll carry on with Philosophy if it doesnt clash. and I've never been to reading, its so far away. Were you at the same Lancs interview as me by the way?
Reply 961
Original post by apretentiousartist
I wouldn't say hidden.
I'm sure that if you go on there you'd be able to see it's quite clearly presented. If you didn't bother reading the heading 'Portfolio Handling Fee' which is bolded, you probably should have bothered applying!

I sound like I work at UCL?
That's a compliment if I ever did hear one.

Nice to see another perspective which is realistic!
Where are you planning on going in September, Kayla?

Not from me it isnt. And nor did it say they were "doing" over a thousand people for it.
Nice to see another perspective which is realistic!
Where are you planning on going in September, Kayla?

Actually, I also thought £15 was outrageous until i spoke to a tutor at college and realised that reviewing portfolios actually takes a really long time amongst other things.
I think my first choice is goldsmiths, you?
Not from me it isnt. And nor did it say they were "doing" over a thousand people for it.

Your assumption that I should work at one of the most established, highest regarded and best performing universities in the United Kingdom: not a compliment?

I don't think many courses state their number of applicants on their website, mainly because it varies year-on-year. If you'd have been to an open day at the Slade you would know that their average number of applicants was over 1000, which would have been before you'd have paid the Portfilio Handling Fee. Sounds like withdrawal would have been a good option for you...
Reply 964
Original post by joelchan
Ohhh Sorry, mea culpa. Same, I think I'll wait till march too. But It's likely their going to be my first unless CSM get back to me soon I think I'll withdraw I'm a little sick of waiting :/ Which minor subject would you take if you went there? I think I'll carry on with Philosophy if it doesnt clash. and I've never been to reading, its so far away. Were you at the same Lancs interview as me by the way?

I went on 18th Jan and got my offer the same day you did. I can't visualise who you are 'fraid.

My minor subject would have been psychology but apparently they can't do that hence the difficulty. I just need a bit of time to think now, and get on with my work, after all these days out. I agree with you about the facilities there and the student life, which makes things even more difficult: my other top choice is Aber, which I felt an immediate affinity with for some reason. I withdrew from Falmouth because I got sick of waiting, and there comes a point you have to think you can only actually go to one University after all. It was always going to be my least favourite anyway because it is a small place despite the apparently good facilities.

I think the thing is, go where you will be able to stick it out for the duration, and come out with something at the end. I hold no truck with these doom-mongers who say artists have to live off a pittance, as I have already sold over 10 commissions and I am, as I say, yet a youngster.
Original post by kaylafrances
Actually, I also thought £15 was outrageous until i spoke to a tutor at college and realised that reviewing portfolios actually takes a really long time amongst other things.

My first choice is Slade.

Goldsmiths is a great institution- the degree show last year had some great work. Hopefully things will go well for you there!
Reply 966
Original post by kaylafrances

Yas, 1000 portfolios over 4 days = 250 a day @:
60 mins x 8hrs = 480 mins divided by 250 = 1.92 mins a portfolio for one person looking at it. Yea excellent value!
My first choice is Slade.

Goldsmiths is a great institution- the degree show last year had some great work. Hopefully things will go well for you there!

where else did you apply?
Yas, 1000 portfolios over 4 days = 250 a day @:
60 mins x 8hrs = 480 mins divided by 250 = 1.92 mins a portfolio for one person looking at it. Yea excellent value!

ok love maybe become a mathematician
Reply 969
I went on 18th Jan and got my offer the same day you did. I can't visualise who you are 'fraid.

My minor subject would have been psychology but apparently they can't do that hence the difficulty. I just need a bit of time to think now, and get on with my work, after all these days out. I agree with you about the facilities there and the student life, which makes things even more difficult: my other top choice is Aber, which I felt an immediate affinity with for some reason. I withdrew from Falmouth because I got sick of waiting, and there comes a point you have to think you can only actually go to one University after all. It was always going to be my least favourite anyway because it is a small place despite the apparently good facilities.

I think the thing is, go where you will be able to stick it out for the duration, and come out with something at the end. I hold no truck with these doom-mongers who say artists have to live off a pittance, as I have already sold over 10 commissions and I am, as I say, yet a youngster.

Yeah we were the same day. What do you look like hahah :P and I agree, I haven't done many works to sell, dont really have time. But I've sold five ( but 3 were GCSE exam pieces which I sold for only 30 each)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes, they look at your portfolio while you are given a tour or something similar. There is no interview. That's the only stage. When my son had his review, the labels had come off his work somehow, so he had to hang around at the end re-sorting his stuff and making it clear which ones belonged to him, and he got talking to the lecturers by accident. He reckons that's what got him in!

Hi, i'm applying for painting at edinburgh and got through to the applicant day.. i was wondering if you know if you can bring paintings on canvas's with you? it says everything has to be contained in a portfolio and im not sure mine will all fit, even rolled up.. i have a lot of big paintings and i don't think pictures of them really do them justice!! i wish they did interviews!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 971
Your assumption that I should work at one of the most established, highest regarded and best performing universities in the United Kingdom: not a compliment?

I don't think many courses state their number of applicants on their website, mainly because it varies year-on-year. If you'd have been to an open day at the Slade you would know that their average number of applicants was over 1000, which would have been before you'd have paid the Portfilio Handling Fee. Sounds like withdrawal would have been a good option for you...

So YOU say. Sure you wouldn't like me to do you a quick ad whilst I'm here?
Original post by Princeling
D'aww, cheer up! Keep a positive attitude and just know your artists and basic interview questions; you'll be savvy. :smile: Best of luck.

thankyou i hope so :smile:

I thought Princeling said ACC, hence my comment, but if I am wrong, I take it back. Anyway, maybe we will see each other at Lancs, but I need to check out what is going on with the curriculum there as per much earlier on this thread, and what they said on the day about having to do other course options.

No I got an ACC, and i'm doing a foundation. I realise their requirement is ABB but it doesn't hurt trying as sometimes once in a hundred years they may make an exception. It was my wildcard.
Original post by sarinda.devine
Hi, i'm applying for painting at edinburgh and got through to the applicant day.. i was wondering if you know if you can bring paintings on canvas's with you? it says everything has to be contained in a portfolio and im not sure mine will all fit, even rolled up.. i have a lot of big paintings and i don't think pictures of them really do them justice!! i wish they did interviews!

I'm not an expert on this, but I think they mean what they say and the usual advice is to take some large photos. No point in antagonising them by ignoring their guidelines. I'm sure they're pretty used to assessing large objects on photos - anyone applying for sculpture has to do it that way anyway. Yes, I know it'd be nice to have an interview, but it does put everyone on a level playing field and prevents people from spoiling their chances by being too nervous to do themselves justice. They know what they're looking for - the place has been going for more than 250 years!
Reply 975
Original post by kindkydinky
No I got an ACC, and i'm doing a foundation. I realise their requirement is ABB but it doesn't hurt trying as sometimes once in a hundred years they may make an exception. It was my wildcard.

All of my choices were wildcards I'm only predicted A*BB but I applied to Ruskin (AAA) Lancaster (AAB) Slade (ABB) and CSM (Need foundation). People sad I couldnt get in without a foundation course so I thought I might as well aim high and fall close to the top. I only have one offer so far but I'm content haha. If anything, in terms of grades, UCL was my least wild card but I reckon they have the most applicants out of all of my choices.
Reply 976
Why do grades matter :s i actually called slade back in October, and they said its all based on portfolio and having a foundation

Hey- I was at the same Lancaster interview and met Joel but what do you look like may have met... :smile:
Reply 978
Original post by Soares
Why do grades matter :s i actually called slade back in October, and they said its all based on portfolio and having a foundation

They might have said that but all UCL departments have the general requirement of at least BBBE + C's in a GCSE English Lang, Maths and a MFL. They wont ignor that just for art applicants. And I read somewhere that 40% of undergraduates are straight from A Level but I cant be certain on that one.
Reply 979
Ive been lurking here for a long time, Im dissapointed that suddenly the tone (in a few people) have been rather childish, Im sure noone else is interested in your bickering so for any future slander could you please just PM each other?

Original post by Farout
It turns out UCL isn't the only place the you have to pay a fee, a friend on my course had to pay £20 for an interview for a costume design course at the Central School of Speech and Drama! CRAZY... I don't agree with the fee, I understand porters needed to be hired..but it is a bit steep! But the Slade offer a great course with great facilities, maybe it proves your a serious applicant? Who knows!

Yeah, I had to pay for three of my interviews -its pretty normal in some subjects. But at drama schools the interviews are very long, half a day or so. They have to release staff and plan out the day, so no wonder its costing us. At least we're not paying what the aspiring actors are forking out for their auditions!!
Its not a biggie, I would pay loads more to get a chance to go to uni! And Im like super poor, Im doing foundation but am 'mature' so Im paying for everything myself with my meager part time job.

I only have one more interview to go, now I just want to hear from the unis! Its a horrible wait, even when its just a few weeks.

I want to study Theatre Design, my top choices are RWCMD and CSSD.

Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama: Had interview two weeks ago. I LOVED the school. The facilities and the staff was amazing.
Wimbledon: Had interview this week. Wasnt that impressed by the school and the interview seemed really rushed.
Aberystwyth: Got an offer. Its pretty and nice, but its too far away from the industry. But SO pretty.
LIPA: Withdrew, wasn't feeling the place.
Central School of Speech and Drama: Interview in two weeks. Eek! Scared and excited!

Quick Reply

Latest