The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Mine's at 12, I got mixed up - oh well! My problem is the Brighton interview I've got on Friday, I've basically got to do everything for both of them today which is just a nightmare. I'm sure even applying for medicine isn't as tiring or emotionally draining as trying to get in to art school. I bet your work will be fine though, they're supposed to be more interested in your process and how you think rather than final pieces - I hope they are anyway or I'm royally screwed. Can't you try to reschedule your interview? It would seem a bit unfair if they refused and made you go when you're not at your best.

Mmm I'm printing out some correspondence from my art history course now, might as well get it over and done with, i'm not going to sleep much. At least i'll be satisfied when it's over... it's a once in a lifetime interview after all and don't want to seem feeble to be too sick. will let people know what it's like when over...
Another update: I got an unconditional from NTU :smile: I don't want to go there, but I'm pretty pleased with that since the woman in the interview (there was a man too) was getting pretty aggressive by the end of it! Either that was a test, or the man managed to convince her...

Now I have 2 offers and 2 rejections, which isn't too bad :smile: Just Brighton left.

Did anyone have interviews today?
Original post by Village Whisper
Another update: I got an unconditional from NTU :smile: I don't want to go there, but I'm pretty pleased with that since the woman in the interview (there was a man too) was getting pretty aggressive by the end of it! Either that was a test, or the man managed to convince her...

Now I have 2 offers and 2 rejections, which isn't too bad :smile: Just Brighton left.

Did anyone have interviews today?

Wellllll done! Thats great news

yes... did anyone have any.. *hint hint* jo... :tongue:
Original post by kaylafrances
Wellllll done! Thats great news

yes... did anyone have any.. *hint hint* jo... :tongue:

Got all prepared for Goldsmiths but didn't get there in the end. London transport said from Fulham Broadway to New Cross would take 45 minutes, but after 1 hour 20 minutes wasn't even on the overground yet and it was 9.30.. so screwed it right up, should have left about 2 hours in advance to be fully prepared! I let them know quickly, asked if rescheduling possible but it's not -- can't say i'm upset at all, honestly i don't think Goldsmiths is for me, I'm a bit more Hockneyish in the belief 'you can teach the craft but you can't teach the poetry' and its a huge factor to me that i'm not fond of New Cross area myself, even if the course with the bonus of 'Art History' is perfect, to spend 3 years will have to actually like the place i'm visiting. Think I chose it with the belief I would be rejected for interview, and blinded by popular opinion for Goldsmiths! For me personally i can only justify being in London while conveniently placed into the central Art museum bit as possible.. & be able to get out easily via liverpool st! As I don't love the noisy city like some people.. So I'm relying on my 3 interviews, Wimbledon, Chelsea and Brighton - also trying to welcome the idea of not getting into any and just doing working and maybe trying again in the future.

there's not any other London unis I wanted to go to, for all the struggling expense (apart from maybe Middlesex, which i wish I had chosen as a choice). Still it's really KILLING me waiting for Wimbledon! Apparently all painting results were handed over by the course director yesterday, before i'd asked if he could tell me whether i'd gotten in! He forwarded my request to admin but they couldn't tell me as they were waiting for 'ratification' of decisions, but it will be this week.

HamSandwich was having a goldsmiths interview today too, hope it went well! Looking forward to read what i missed hopefully :smile:
Original post by cocacola123
Has anyone still not heard back from Brighton BA Painting since submitting their flickr? Have they started rejections yet does anyone know? Getting very worried and tired of waiting!! :-/

I've had an unsuccessful today :/
Gutted if i'm honest.

Good luck to everyone else with interviews and offers! It will soon be all over :smile:
Original post by kindkydinky
I've had an unsuccessful today :/
Gutted if i'm honest.

Good luck to everyone else with interviews and offers! It will soon be all over :smile:

oh no! sorry to hear that!! had you had an interview already?
Original post by cocacola123
oh no! sorry to hear that!! had you had an interview already?

No, they've not offered me an interview after seeing my online portfolio :frown:

Good luck to you though, I know you are still waiting to hear.
Let me know how it goes.
Thank you very much! I will do. Kind of thinking i'll wake up to the dreaded 'something on your ucas track application has changed' email!
Reply 1388
rejection from csm :frown: anyone who's still waiting to hear good luck!
No, they've not offered me an interview after seeing my online portfolio :frown:

Good luck to you though, I know you are still waiting to hear.
Let me know how it goes.

That's so odd to me that you didn't get an interview, after knowing you got a place at Wimbledon, am i right? Are you considering going there now?
:smile:
Original post by joverbena
That's so odd to me that you didn't get an interview, after knowing you got a place at Wimbledon, am i right? Are you considering going there now?
:smile:

I've emailed Brighton to see if they could give me some feedback on my portfolio and where I went wrong. Such a shame, I would have loved to go there.

And yes, I got a place at Wimbledon but I didn't feel at home there, it reminded me too much of school and seemed very quiet. I'm considering going for De Montfort (Leicester), was very impressed with it at an open day and felt the same when I had my interview. It's an up and coming, innovative, modern and very friendly place and I loved the vibe but on the other hand seems silly to turn down somewhere like Wimbledon. Struggling with the decision. Also got Cardiff to consider...aaaaaaaaaah :confused:
Reply 1391
Have you guys heard from ECA?
I've emailed Brighton to see if they could give me some feedback on my portfolio and where I went wrong. Such a shame, I would have loved to go there.

And yes, I got a place at Wimbledon but I didn't feel at home there, it reminded me too much of school and seemed very quiet. I'm considering going for De Montfort (Leicester), was very impressed with it at an open day and felt the same when I had my interview. It's an up and coming, innovative, modern and very friendly place and I loved the vibe but on the other hand seems silly to turn down somewhere like Wimbledon. Struggling with the decision. Also got Cardiff to consider...aaaaaaaaaah :confused:

Sorry about Brighton :frown:

If you don't like Wimbledon, I don't think it's silly to choose De Montfort instead! I think you should go for the place you get that "feeling" from, where you think you'll be happiest. I've heard DMU is good for arty subjects, so it's not like it's a bad place (obviously!). There are people on some other forums talking about turning down Oxbridge for less highly-ranked places, so you're not the only one :smile:

Basically, I think you should forget about the reputation and go for the one you like the most, since you'll be there for 3 years. A good reputation doesn't necessarily mean it's better :smile:
Sorry about Brighton :frown:

If you don't like Wimbledon, I don't think it's silly to choose De Montfort instead! I think you should go for the place you get that "feeling" from, where you think you'll be happiest. I've heard DMU is good for arty subjects, so it's not like it's a bad place (obviously!). There are people on some other forums talking about turning down Oxbridge for less highly-ranked places, so you're not the only one :smile:

Basically, I think you should forget about the reputation and go for the one you like the most, since you'll be there for 3 years. A good reputation doesn't necessarily mean it's better :smile:

Thanks :smile: I was thinking along those lines but it's still a difficult decision to make. If I got into Brighton I wouldn't be struggling right now with the choice. Everything in life happens for a reason..bla bla bla...haha I guess I'm still a believer of that after all.

Hope you get your Wimbledon place! Fingers crossed :smile: I seem to remember you very much wanted to go there. Would be ironic if you got into Brighton -my 1st choice and I got into yours. Alas, Wimbledon has been wasted on me.
I think it's me you remember who very much wanted to go to Wimbledon?And my interview for critical fine art practice at Brighton seemed to go alright yet i'm a bit worried about the moving, don't think i've got enough energy left for that having been so busy moving everywhere the past years! So if I got rejected for Wimbledon & accepted for Brighton that would be very twisted, wouldn't it! We should appeal for a swap!

And yes definitely DON'T go to somewhere just because of the name and reputation, it's not silly to turn it down anymore than i would think it was not silly to be indifferent about Goldsmiths, i think that's all shallow stuff anyway, in the end the happier you genuinely are studying, the better and more productive you'll be..
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks :smile: I was thinking along those lines but it's still a difficult decision to make. If I got into Brighton I wouldn't be struggling right now with the choice. Everything in life happens for a reason..bla bla bla...haha I guess I'm still a believer of that after all.

Hope you get your Wimbledon place! Fingers crossed :smile: I seem to remember you very much wanted to go there. Would be ironic if you got into Brighton -my 1st choice and I got into yours. Alas, Wimbledon has been wasted on me.

I think it's me you remember who very much wanted to go to Wimbledon?And my interview for critical fine art practice at Brighton seemed to go alright yet i'm a bit worried about the moving, don't think i've got enough energy left for that having been so busy moving everywhere the past years! So if I got rejected for Wimbledon & accepted for Brighton that would be very twisted, wouldn't it! We should appeal for a swap!

And yes definitely DON'T go to somewhere just because of the name and reputation, it's not silly to turn it down anymore than i would think it was not silly to be indifferent about Goldsmiths, i think that's all shallow stuff anyway, in the end the happier you genuinely are studying, the better and more productive you'll be..

Oops, yeah it was Jo who wanted to go to Wimbledon, sorry for confusing you! I didn't apply there, but I'm still waiting for my Brighton rejection :wink: Hopefully it'll come this week, so I can forget all about this applying business and focus on other things.

Anyway, you said before that you hadn't been to the Brighton open day, so maybe you wouldn't have liked it after all! You might still have liked DMU much better, so don't feel too down about it :smile: Which do you prefer out of DMU and Cardiff? Did you have a fifth choice?

Sorry about that, got the names confused, I should have looked back through the posts before posting. Fingers crossed for you then for Wimbledon :smile: really wish I could give you my place as I feel like it's been wasted on the wrong person seeing as there are people like you who genuinely enjoyed the place and would make the most of it. What was it that you liked so much about Wimbledon?

And yes, I agree that going to a highly reputable uni does not mean success as it's mostly down to your own personal efforts, however Wimbledon would look much more impressive on paper when it comes down to nailing down a job...

Mainly my most major problem comes down to location...Leicester seems like a nice enough place but I come from the south and my hopes were pinned on Brighton...you know, sun, sea, beach, good uni reputation, amazing night life - basically everything someone like me would want from a uni experience....HAHA laughing at myself now for allowing myself to be so gutted, it's not the end of the world after all.

Either way, very best of luck to you with Wimbledon and I hope you get into Brighton also, it's so good to have a choice! I'd agree to a swap any day though :grin:

Oops, yeah it was Jo who wanted to go to Wimbledon, sorry for confusing you! I didn't apply there, but I'm still waiting for my Brighton rejection :wink: Hopefully it'll come this week, so I can forget all about this applying business and focus on other things.

Anyway, you said before that you hadn't been to the Brighton open day, so maybe you wouldn't have liked it after all! You might still have liked DMU much better, so don't feel too down about it :smile: Which do you prefer out of DMU and Cardiff? Did you have a fifth choice?

Sorry for confusing you with Jo, my bad! Is Brighton your first choice? Where else have you applied for? Fingers crossed for you! I don't think Brighton are doing offers before rejections, seems like they are just sending out offers or rejections at random so you are still in with a good chance. It's the waiting that's a killer, kind of relieved to have finally heard even though it wasn't good news.

I had Slade as my fifth choice purely as a wild card, knew there was a very very slim chance they would ever consider me but thought why the hell not try, it's good to aim high. So that makes 2 rejections and 3 offers. And as for Cardiff vs DMU, Cardiff wins on location and DMU wins on fantastic facilities and atmosphere and they were very enthusiastic. Will have to put a lot of thought into this, feel like i've applied to all the wrong places, apart from DMU. Wanted to apply to Middlesex but my tutors highly suggested Wimbledon instead...HAHA!
Sorry about that, got the names confused, I should have looked back through the posts before posting. Fingers crossed for you then for Wimbledon :smile: really wish I could give you my place as I feel like it's been wasted on the wrong person seeing as there are people like you who genuinely enjoyed the place and would make the most of it. What was it that you liked so much about Wimbledon?

And yes, I agree that going to a highly reputable uni does not mean success as it's mostly down to your own personal efforts, however Wimbledon would look much more impressive on paper when it comes down to nailing down a job...

Mainly my most major problem comes down to location...Leicester seems like a nice enough place but I come from the south and my hopes were pinned on Brighton...you know, sun, sea, beach, good uni reputation, amazing night life - basically everything someone like me would want from a uni experience....HAHA laughing at myself now for allowing myself to be so gutted, it's not the end of the world after all.

Either way, very best of luck to you with Wimbledon and I hope you get into Brighton also, it's so good to have a choice! I'd agree to a swap any day though :grin:

When did you have your Wimbledon interview? Mine was on the 24th, if yours was around the same time yet they offered you a place quite a while ago, they might have prioritized you as well! I looked back at your portfolio and it was really painterly and you have skill with the brush! I'm worried because I didn't include hardly any conventional painting in my portfolio, just drawing and life work.

I like it because the course & college feels like the nearest to going to a more traditional art school, I love the open air and space and trees, it has a sense of freedom & character about it. I feel a bit claustrophobic and limited in more bustley places. I had a horrible experience of school in my hometown, so I don't mind going back to a quiet school like atmosphere for my art study. Just think it would be money well spent on a degree at a place where I'd feel comfortable spending lots of time in the studio, because it's relaxed and quiet. I wouldn't want to escape off home all the time as i have a natural tendency for. Because of the old fashioned charm thing I'd be happy to go to Chelsea as well, but I moved into a flatshare in Fulham Broadway last year, it's really easy to get to Wimbledon from here on the district line, so going there would be ideal for location and not having to move again... I went to the Wimbledon open day and I was so impressed by the facilities, technicians and although it's on the 'outskirts' it still has great links (something like 5 out of 20 'New Sensations' students came from Wimbledon which is quite impressive). The general vibe of the students that i've seen from there also seem the most friendly and happiest! At the UCAS fair the Wimbledon guy was so charming and helpful.. and i don't want art school to turn me into something i'm not & I don't feel wimbledon will :-/
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry for confusing you with Jo, my bad! Is Brighton your first choice? Where else have you applied for? Fingers crossed for you! I don't think Brighton are doing offers before rejections, seems like they are just sending out offers or rejections at random so you are still in with a good chance. It's the waiting that's a killer, kind of relieved to have finally heard even though it wasn't good news.

I had Slade as my fifth choice purely as a wild card, knew there was a very very slim chance they would ever consider me but thought why the hell not try, it's good to aim high. So that makes 2 rejections and 3 offers. And as for Cardiff vs DMU, Cardiff wins on location and DMU wins on fantastic facilities and atmosphere and they were very enthusiastic. Will have to put a lot of thought into this, feel like i've applied to all the wrong places, apart from DMU. Wanted to apply to Middlesex but my tutors highly suggested Wimbledon instead...HAHA!

It's okay :smile: It's strange how many pages/posters there are now on this thread, considering how there were only a few when I first posted! It seems like years ago, but I guess it was really only a few months. Anyway, I don't think Brighton is my first choice anymore. "In my heart" (I hate that expression!) I feel like I should go to Loughborough, because I really did like it and it's not a specific painting course. They're also really flexible, so they don't really care if your work is borderline illustration like mine is. If I did get into Brighton as well, though, I'd feel really bad about it because it's where I wanted to go for a couple of years now, and it was my first choice when I applied (and up until my Loughborough interview, actually). I love the idea of Brighton, I just think that the course might be a bit too specific. I'm kind of hoping I don't get an interview, so I don't get put in that position!

My five choices were Brighton, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent, Leeds College of Art and the Slade. I have rejections for the last two, and offers for the other two that aren't Brighton. It sounds like your Cardiff vs DMU is a bit like my hypothetical Brighton vs Loughborough! I'd much rather be by the sea than in the midlands, but I guess you can't have everything. I feel kind of the same about applying for the wrong places too, but at least there's one I like. I suppose it was bound to happen really, since we applied a while ago and there was all that pressure of having so many to choose from. Oh well, sorry for the mini-rant!

At the UCAS fair the Wimbledon guy was so charming and helpful.. and i don't want art school to turn me into something i'm not & I don't feel wimbledon will :-/

This is completely irrelevant, but was that UCAS fair the specific art one that was in London in December? If it was the same one I went to, I hated it!!

This is completely irrelevant, but was that UCAS fair the specific art one that was in London in December? If it was the same one I went to, I hated it!!

Yes, all art universities from the country. I agree the fair in general was rubbish, mainly just walked in, got a few free pencils and tote bags and poked around the UAL section, then walked out again...at Olympia i think
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest