The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joverbena
Yes I feel sort of neutral about Chelsea, the location is great but there's just such a wide scope to the course, I'd feel a bit needle in haystackish. Not sure. And I still can;t really judge Goldsmiths because I've never looked around properly, so there's still room for my mind to change..

Oh Chelsea is beautiful, you couldn't ask for a better place to work in. I just felt like it was full of pretentious creeps. Plus they ran 40 minutes late, didn't apologise and then shouted at everyone. Sorry if I'm putting you off :colondollar:
You'll probably get in 3 or 4 places now and have an even harder decision to make :tongue:
Original post by Village Whisper
Which course do you think you'll go for, then? No I haven't accepted it yet, but I will; I'm just really bad at making decisions :tongue: When you accept an offer, can you just firm one and forget about the whole insurance thing? I mean, I don't want to go to NTU which is my only other choice, and I'd be mortified if I only got a pass at foundation, which is all I need for Loughborough...

I'm leaning about 80% to Goldsmiths right now. I looked at Wimbledon halls of residence and they've really put me off. Plus they were so nice at Gsmiths and like, insistent that I accept (they told me to cancel my other interviews :tongue:) that I think I'd be happy there.
I'm sure you can do that yeah! I mean, if you only need a pass there's not much point in having an insurance - you either get in or you fail completely, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to force a back up on you.
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
I'm leaning about 80% to Goldsmiths right now. I looked at Wimbledon halls of residence and they've really put me off. Plus they were so nice at Gsmiths and like, insistent that I accept (they told me to cancel my other interviews :tongue:) that I think I'd be happy there.
I'm sure you can do that yeah! I mean, if you only need a pass there's not much point in having an insurance - you either get in or you fail completely, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to force a back up on you.

What was wrong with the halls, were they really expensive or something? Yeah, it's just that my NTU offer is unconditional, so I thought I might have to put that as my insurance or something. I'd wait another year if I didn't get a pass, though. Oh well, I'll have to have a look on Track.
Oh Chelsea is beautiful, you couldn't ask for a better place to work in. I just felt like it was full of pretentious creeps. Plus they ran 40 minutes late, didn't apologise and then shouted at everyone. Sorry if I'm putting you off :colondollar:
You'll probably get in 3 or 4 places now and have an even harder decision to make :tongue:

Not at all, I already had all those feelings! I'm not sure I would make any friends there :-/ a couple of people who were waiting at my interview (I was at the end of the register so I also had to wait houurrrss!) had a lot of a pretentious creepness about them (not all mind, but i bet the smug ones are the ones that got in!) that said being from a poor chavvy background in Essex there was some shallow appeal to putting 'Chelsea' on my CV, which I know is a really stupid reason to actually go somewhere. I'd still love an offer, but yeah..
What was wrong with the halls, were they really expensive or something? Yeah, it's just that my NTU offer is unconditional, so I thought I might have to put that as my insurance or something. I'd wait another year if I didn't get a pass, though. Oh well, I'll have to have a look on Track.

Well, not for London I guess! They're nearly an hour away from the college is all, and I'm not the greatest at getting up early. Kinda feels like Wimbledon is a bit left out compared to the rest of UAL.

Oh you'll definitely pass, don't worry about that!
Not at all, I already had all those feelings! I'm not sure I would make any friends there :-/ a couple of people who were waiting at my interview (I was at the end of the register so I also had to wait houurrrss!) had a lot of a pretentious creepness about them (not all mind, but i bet the smug ones are the ones that got in!) that said being from a poor chavvy background in Essex there was some shallow appeal to putting 'Chelsea' on my CV, which I know is a really stupid reason to actually go somewhere. I'd still love an offer, but yeah..

Got to love the smug ones! They did portfolio review days last year (think they might've stopped those now?) and out of 40 people they took 8 for an interview. 5 of them had double-barrel surnames. Coincidence? :colonhash:
Well, not for London I guess! They're nearly an hour away from the college is all, and I'm not the greatest at getting up early. Kinda feels like Wimbledon is a bit left out compared to the rest of UAL.

Oh you'll definitely pass, don't worry about that!

Oh wow, that's ages away! I seem to remember someone saying (maybe at college) that Wimbledon is one of the most recent colleges to join UAL, so maybe that's why? An hour is ridiculous, though! I guess it's probably alright if you get to the second year though, 'cause you could find a house/flat that's a bit closer (maybe).

And I'd better pass! For the past day I've been messing around with sellotape, trying to get some good photo tranfers...I think all the washing/rubbing off wet paper is worth a pass alone, it's so much hassle! It does look good, though...
Oh wow, that's ages away! I seem to remember someone saying (maybe at college) that Wimbledon is one of the most recent colleges to join UAL, so maybe that's why? An hour is ridiculous, though! I guess it's probably alright if you get to the second year though, 'cause you could find a house/flat that's a bit closer (maybe).

And I'd better pass! For the past day I've been messing around with sellotape, trying to get some good photo tranfers...I think all the washing/rubbing off wet paper is worth a pass alone, it's so much hassle! It does look good, though...

Yeah I guess that's true actually, just a complete pain in the bum when you're still getting used to the place/Tube.

I used to regularly go and hide in the library to avoid my tutors, or sneak off for a cheeky cup of tea with a friend and I still got a merit. Trust me, you'll be ok :biggrin:

OHHHH completly agree with this,it was a joke....the lady i had for my interview forgot to ask me a couple of questions and asked me them as i was packing away my stuff...before i left the room she had started interviewing another person..SHE WAS HORRIBLE...and eurgh so many strange poeple!!i do arrt!im used to strange ppl!...but chelsea was worse!
Reply 1469
Original post by msmith182
OHHHH completly agree with this,it was a joke....the lady i had for my interview forgot to ask me a couple of questions and asked me them as i was packing away my stuff...before i left the room she had started interviewing another person..SHE WAS HORRIBLE...and eurgh so many strange poeple!!i do arrt!im used to strange ppl!...but chelsea was worse!

lol, its so strange hearing all these negative experiences of the Chelsea interview - I had the exact opposite experience.... I went in with chelsea last on my wish list, certain they'd be really snobbish and annoying - but the interview was brilliant, the woman who interviewed me was really nice, was really interested in my work and I went away smiling :smile: If they make me an offer it'll really throw me off!

Im convinced this whole process is just damn messy and so much relies on which side of the bed someone got out of or something equally subjective!
Original post by KED
lol, its so strange hearing all these negative experiences of the Chelsea interview - I had the exact opposite experience.... I went in with chelsea last on my wish list, certain they'd be really snobbish and annoying - but the interview was brilliant, the woman who interviewed me was really nice, was really interested in my work and I went away smiling :smile: If they make me an offer it'll really throw me off!

Im convinced this whole process is just damn messy and so much relies on which side of the bed someone got out of or something equally subjective!

This is why I'm neutral, i find it really hard to judge Chelsea, it's a wonky one...
Reply 1471
This is why I'm neutral, i find it really hard to judge Chelsea, it's a wonky one...

I know exactly what you mean - its a wild card!!

Hey i'm sorry to hear you felt your interview was awful.. mine was not bad the interviewer seemed ok if a bit deliberately non-expressive, it was pretty rushed though. I struggled to get my portfolio sheets out because I have a cheap A1 portfolio thing in a plastic case. I was the very last one so they couldn't do that to me (start interviewing somebody) - that is pretty disorganized and rude.. I don't get why they have to invite everybody at once like that rather than just wittling people down at application and giving people times! It felt a bit awkward sitting there in the big room with every single applicant for that day. It's like they are trying to prove a point that you are one of a large number. But the course director seemed friendly enough, he explained the process at the start and said whoever was at the end of the register (like me) should go have a walk..

Maybe that was one of the first days of interviews though, it could be that the tutors you had were having a particularly bad day- which is very unfair on you! Seriously I sympathize and feel bad for you, there is an email on the website and even the course directors email on the Fine Art page. You wouldn't lose anything if you just politely mention that you think you may have had an unfairly rushed interview! I would! That's if you still even care about going there after the experience, but I seriously suggest you do just for the hell of it...

PS: Just read you were going for Textiles not Fine Art- there is direct contact to the tutor for that course too on the website though :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1473
Original post by KED

I had a really nice interview to, but then a few days before I had one at the Slade which was so intense, so maybe I was just comparing? But TBF they were really friendly, I hope we all get offers! Just one more interview to go now...
Original post by Farout
I had a really nice interview to, but then a few days before I had one at the Slade which was so intense, so maybe I was just comparing? But TBF they were really friendly, I hope we all get offers! Just one more interview to go now...

Where for? I'm guessing Goldsmiths? Where ever it is good luck and yes hope you get into Chelsea.. I'm glad I didn't pick Slade by the sound of things.. I'm not sure I could anyway don't you have to have A-Levels? (I have equivalent but I presumed from the website they like actual A-Levels)
Reply 1475
Where for? I'm guessing Goldsmiths? Where ever it is good luck and yes hope you get into Chelsea.. I'm glad I didn't pick Slade by the sound of things.. I'm not sure I could anyway don't you have to have A-Levels? (I have equivalent but I presumed from the website they like actual A-Levels)

yeah goldsmiths, apparently that's also intense, but at least I've had practise now! Hopefully find out the results of the Slade interview next week.. Anxious times!
hmmmmm either...she really liked me...or she hated me....
all my interviews have been different

dmu:they showed no enthusiam:got a place
northampton:massive suprise!the lady was amazing,the building was incredible!huge old building with all new equipment!best of both worlds...got a nice tour and everything :smile:
london college of fashion:the process was kinda harsh...but i got the interview,which was so relaxed...and they didn't talk through the portfolio with me..which relaxed me :smile: got a place!

so...chelsea....hmmmm :s
also doesn't anyone know of any fashion textile people for lcf?can't find anyone on the same course :frown:

also....fine art for chelsea...least they asked u to send a mini portfolio.....everyone for textiles got an interview...so big waste of time for so many people :/
sorry long message :smile:
Original post by KED

hey what course did u get interviewed for?textiles or fine art?
Reply 1478
hey what course did u get interviewed for?textiles or fine art?

Fine art - I think luck played a role as well cause for whatever reason (my surname starts with D??) I was called in the 2nd batch of 3 people, I thought it would be distracting being interviewed in the same room at the same time as 2 other people but in the end I didnt hear a thing anyone else said!

Your experience sounds terrible, Id definately go with letting them know - with the amount of money we're having to pay this year we should all be demanding a bloody good service!
Original post by KED
Fine art - I think luck played a role as well cause for whatever reason (my surname starts with D??) I was called in the 2nd batch of 3 people, I thought it would be distracting being interviewed in the same room at the same time as 2 other people but in the end I didnt hear a thing anyone else said!

Your experience sounds terrible, Id definately go with letting them know - with the amount of money we're having to pay this year we should all be demanding a bloody good service!

im just going to wait and see if i get rejected...

i just think it's ridiculous!
got up at 5....left at 6,payed about 50 quid overall for travel -.- my poor dad spent about 3 hrs waiting
downstairs for me :s and i was so positive throughout! and they just shot me down lol

doesn't matter...got an offer from lcf for fashion textiles...and i got into the other 2 ...so really chelsea just put me off...but it's not to big of a deal :/

Quick Reply

Latest