The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mary1994
hey does anybody know what 'going into pool' mean on the application to Wimbledon for fine art painting? they said i was unsuccessful, but then on an email they wrote that... it was my first choice so i really need to know.

thanks
mary

absolutely no idea what that means i'm afraid, i would only guess that they are still keeping your details for incase everybody turns their Wimbledon offer down or something?! Or it's a cruel way of trying to keep your hopes up and not turning you down too outright because they're trying to be 'kind'. It was my first choice too but having not heard for so long i feel like they obviously don't want me! I've got a weird feeling i'm going to hear from them about a rejection soon, Good luck to you though!
(edited 12 years ago)
hey does anybody know what 'going into pool' mean on the application to Wimbledon for fine art painting? they said i was unsuccessful, but then on an email they wrote that... it was my first choice so i really need to know.

thanks
mary

If they don't think you're suitable for one particular course but like your work they can sometimes offer you a place, or put you forward for a place, at another course in CCW. I'd guess that's what the pool thing means.
Who knows, you might get an offer from Chelsea now! :biggrin:
Reply 1542

thanks
mary

I dont know exactly, but I applied for BA Painting at camberwell but the ended up offering me Sculpture - - - I think If they like someone but they dont make it on the course of their choice, they put them out to the otehr courses/colleges - dont know how exactly they do that but you may well be offered another course either on a different pathway (Painting is oversubscribed everywhere) or in another CCW college...... fingers crossed 4 u
Original post by KED
I dont know exactly, but I applied for BA Painting at camberwell but the ended up offering me Sculpture - - - I think If they like someone but they dont make it on the course of their choice, they put them out to the otehr courses/colleges - dont know how exactly they do that but you may well be offered another course either on a different pathway (Painting is oversubscribed everywhere) or in another CCW college...... fingers crossed 4 u

I forgot that they do this and mentioned it in an email, good news if they do. 'pooling' is an unusual way of putting it though. good luck here is what it said in my chelsea email and i assume same in all CCW courses

"If following consideration you are not offered a place on the course, your application may be considered for alternative similar courses with vacancies within Camberwell, Chelsea and/or Wimbledon Colleges. You will be notified through UCAS of any offer of a place on an alternative course."
Reply 1544
Oh chelsea rejected me and they said nothing of a pool :frown:
Original post by Soares
Oh chelsea rejected me and they said nothing of a pool :frown:

Just now? I'm sorry :hugs:
Do you have any other choices to hear back from? I really really hope you get in to Goldsmiths, give them all you've got on Friday :smile:

PS: Just read back that you heard a while back from Chelsea about unsuccessful, but have another hug anyway :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joverbena
Finished now, but without one single offer yet after four interviews, not as relieving as it could be! Are you applying Fine art or Fine Art & Art History? Best of luck either way! Sorry about Kingston but at least they've got a move on. But wow Kingston sounds a bit like it's having issues lately, like the PMS sufferer of art schools! Did they say that in a direct Kingston rejection email or via Ucas? Hope you get somewhere else and also hope you're feeling okay now after your op!

This I like.
Reply 1547
Just now? I'm sorry :hugs:
Do you have any other choices to hear back from? I really really hope you get in to Goldsmiths, give them all you've got on Friday :smile:

PS: Just read back that you heard a while back from Chelsea about unsuccessful, but have another hug anyway :hugs:

Its only fine art at goldsmiths left, got an offer from uca farnham though i think il go there if i dont get into goldsmiths, but i had an idea that my top 3 were different to eachother and that atleast one would accept me and the others kill me... Goldsmiths is the only one i ever really cared about anyway, im gunna give them everythhinggg :smile: :smile: or im gunna sit there cry, say nothing or be really awkward infront of them cos i want them soooo badddddd and theres so much pressure to do ****ing wellll its driving me ****ing mad :eek3:
Goodluck on all of your choices and the rest of this painful process :smile:
Original post by Soares
Its only fine art at goldsmiths left, got an offer from uca farnham though i think il go there if i dont get into goldsmiths, but i had an idea that my top 3 were different to eachother and that atleast one would accept me and the others kill me... Goldsmiths is the only one i ever really cared about anyway, im gunna give them everythhinggg :smile: :smile: or im gunna sit there cry, say nothing or be really awkward infront of them cos i want them soooo badddddd and theres so much pressure to do ****ing wellll its driving me ****ing mad :eek3:
Goodluck on all of your choices and the rest of this painful process :smile:

Chin up.:smile:
Reply 1549
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Chin up.:smile:

but i feel so powerlesss :argh: :bee:
Original post by Soares

I do understand. I guess the way to look at it is that they are looking for people who do the kind of art that they teach and that if you don't get in it isn't a reflection on the quality of what you do, merely that you would be happier somewhere where you will be taught by likeminded people.
Original post by Soares
put it out of your head and work allllll day tomorrow on refining your portfolio and adding lots of conceptual brainstorming? Beautify your portfolio pages more? Make sure you arrive extraaaa early so you aren't late by a minute? (like i always am because i get lost all the time...) You're not powerless and you can do it and get in :cool: and what i always try and think at interviews is 'if i don't get in i'm not going to die and the world isn't going to end, and i will still have myself and health' .. when i do it it works, it's like when i got onto my foundation course even though their were no places left but he was going to give me a 'reserve', i just thought what the hell and poured my life story out and he let me on the course. Be honest and wear your heart on your sleeve, don't make any excuses, show enthusiasm and welcome criticism, and have faith in yourself. Not that i should be the best person to give advice being Mrs no offers, but i still think honesty and open-heart is the best way to go into the interview
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1552
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I do understand. I guess the way to look at it is that they are looking for people who do the kind of art that they teach and that if you don't get in it isn't a reflection on the quality of what you do, merely that you would be happier somewhere where you will be taught by likeminded people.

Its sooo hard to work that out personally! Like, some say; its too literal, others a child could do it, others so what who are you? others say too cynical, others its too minimal and others its amazing darling.. They either want experimental, theoretical, traditional, initially unconventional, practical, ideas based, practice based, specifically just painters or sculptors only (whats the difference between the 2 these days seriously), new methods, new thoughts; expressive personal subconscious, self evaluating, representations and studies of life culture and contemporary philosophy, or just contemporary.

whos right, what the **** is it all about these days, and who wants to look at what, I think we have too much option these days which is why its so confusing and why its so self-contradictory, and our generation is to damn intellectual we know ****ing everything before we've even got there :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:
Theres so much pressure on our condemned generation :frown:
:blow::blow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1553
put it out of your head and work allllll day tomorrow on refining your portfolio and adding lots of conceptual brainstorming? Beautify your portfolio pages more? Make sure you arrive extraaaa early so you aren't late by a minute? (like i always am because i get lost all the time...) You're not powerless and you can do it and get in :cool: and what i always try and think at interviews is 'if i don't get in i'm not going to die and the world isn't going to end, and i will still have myself and health' .. when i do it it works, it's like when i got onto my foundation course even though their were no places left but he was going to give me a 'reserve', i just thought what the hell and poured my life story out and he let me on the course. Be honest and wear your heart on your sleeve, don't make any excuses, show enthusiasm and welcome criticism, and have faith in yourself. Not that i should be the best person to give advice being Mrs no offers, but i still think honesty and open-heart is the best way to go into the interview

Please rate some other members before rating this member again

I would a million times :redface: <3
Original post by Soares
Its sooo hard to work that out personally! Like, some say; its too literal, others a child could do it, others so what who are you? others say too cynical, others its too minimal and others its amazing darling.. They either want experimental, theoretical, traditional, initially unconventional, practical, ideas based, practice based, specifically just painters or sculptors only (whats the difference between the 2 these days seriously), new methods, new thoughts; expressive personal subconscious, self evaluating, representations and studies of life culture and contemporary philosophy, or just contemporary.

whos right, what the **** is it all about these days, and who wants to look at what, I think we have too much option these days which is why its so confusing and why its so self-contradictory, and our generation is to damn intellectual we know ****ing everything before we've even got there :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Completely agree it's really hard work, there is no right or wrong, but i think you have to ignore other peoples opinions and the tutors that treat you particularly cruelly, the artist makes work for their own personal reasons and agenda and because usually they feel they have something to say or express. You must remember this when you go into Goldsmiths interview it's all about YOU not what other people want, and if you show that passion and that you're going to succeed with or without them - they'll want you more no matter WHAT style of work. Bound to have preferences of workstyle between colleges depending on whose judging you, but academically, they HAVE to judge you on how serious you are and Goldsmiths particularly i think want people who feel they already are artists, so you may have to have a certain stubbornness, and perhaps all this anger is going to come in useful to drive your interview :smile: anyway good luck again, i won't be logging on to here tomorrow as having a busy rest day so hopefully i'll have a bit of news by Friday here. Night and Best wishes!!
(edited 12 years ago)
anyone else think this is putting way to much pressure on portfolios?can you ever really win...if u don't get accepted to the uni's you want...then it's they're loss right? :smile: it means it's not right for you!
Original post by Soares

:console: I can't answer that, and I'm only a parent and teacher, not an artist, but it seems to me that it's just a case of waiting until you 'click' with someone/somewhere. Maybe like falling in love? What do I know? Whatever, I do understand how awful it is, and it's so very personal when it's your art, in a way that getting the grades for, say, maths just isn't. If it's meant to be, it'll not pass you by. Easy for me to say, though.
soares keep ya chin up it'll work itself out in the end

today was probably one of the best days of my life
lool cheesy but true
Reply 1558
Ive had this problem for so long, even at Wimbledon, i think if goldsmiths dont get me, then farnham is where il just do whatever the **** it is that happens. there's something about goldsmiths though....
Completely agree it's really hard work, there is no right or wrong, but i think you have to ignore other peoples opinions and the tutors that treat you particularly cruelly, the artist makes work for their own personal reasons and agenda and because usually they feel they have something to say or express. You must remember this when you go into Goldsmiths interview it's all about YOU not what other people want, and if you show that passion and that you're going to succeed with or without them - they'll want you more no matter WHAT style of work. Bound to have preferences of workstyle between colleges depending on whose judging you, but academically, they HAVE to judge you on how serious you are and Goldsmiths particularly i think want people who feel they already are artists, so you may have to have a certain stubbornness, and perhaps all this anger is going to come in useful to drive your interview :smile: anyway good luck again, i won't be logging on to here tomorrow as having a busy rest day so hopefully i'll have a bit of news by Friday here. Night and Best wishes!!

Night!! I totally agree with you, i used to be like this up till recently, but then i started thinking too much about what these schools wanna see and not necessarily what i do. Now, **** it I am this these things that i do!!!!!! and art?
Have a good rest day and hope you come back with good news! :smile:
Original post by kaylafrances
soares keep ya chin up it'll work itself out in the end

today was probably one of the best days of my life
lool cheesy but true

Interview went well then?

Quick Reply

Latest