The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by joverbena
Well i was having a forum rest today but had to get on my phone browser and tell u that Brighton have given me an Unconditional offer for Critical fine art, and im crying a bit too.... feel so funny...

Oh well done you! Im so pleased for you! Brighton seems so great.

Im so nervous about firming a uni, I thought I had it all sorted out but I went to a workshop at the National Theatre yesterday and there were all these students from CSSD and I thought: 'I cant be part of this if Im in Cardiff'.
And these people at Wimbledon winning Oscars and Oliviers for their stage design. Its maddening.
I fell like if I choose one school over the others Im losing out on something.
Wish they would just make one big art/theatre school and we could all go there!!!

Phew, what a vent! Sorry, just seems so important to choose the right school!
(edited 12 years ago)
You know i probably will . They gave me the most personal interview and we the best chat. Yet were still challenging me so flattered to get unconditional. I might stay in london and commute though coz i dont want to move. So have to think of it carefully but i love how they've given me an unconditional. i do love Brighton and its character. Its quirky like me...also, i might be able to move my mum and look after her there. Cant do that in london!

Sounds like you've got it all worked out then! I said you'd get somewhere :wink:
Original post by rayray12310
it's for first year fine art photography, oh wow just 12, photography was 20 and i thought that was a tiny amount. april seems about right bc at my interview they mentioned that painting had loads to go through, were behind and hadnt even started interviews at that point, how did you find it and good luck!

well its about 12 places for second year entry but then i guess there would be that amount or more coming up from first year too.. i kinda wish i had applied before my foundation but i really wasn't ready! My interview was good, the tutors who interviewed me where so so friendly and seemed interested but i bet they are like that with everyone! thanks :smile:
Reply 1583
Finally all 5 interviews finished!!! Apparently I won't find out my result from Goldsmiths Fine Art until the end of april:[ now to play the waiting game!!

Original post by Sarahtnt
anyone heard back from slade school yet(fine art)?
My interview was 9th, I don't know why it takes too long.....
I don't think it's good meaning.....

I had mine on the 8th and haven't heard anything either, best of luck to you:]
Reply 1584
Well i was having a forum rest today but had to get on my phone browser and tell u that Brighton have given me an Unconditional offer for Critical fine art, and im crying a bit too.... feel so funny...

That's amazing! Well done:] Are you going to accept??
Reply 1585
to Farout.

thanks. we will be told soon.
and congrats on your successes from Chelsea and Camberwell by the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Farout
That's amazing! Well done:] Are you going to accept??

Not sure, i have a personal good feeling about the uni but i still want to see what Goldsmiths do, and Chelsea, and Wimbledon...
It will be a bit of an inconvenience to move from London and have further to travel to places,
But I do feel the tutors and course are great for me. And the fact they seem to want me, might reflect the tutoring.
Absolutely relieved to get somewhere for definite of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Philemon
Oh well done you! Im so pleased for you! Brighton seems so great.

Im so nervous about firming a uni, I thought I had it all sorted out but I went to a workshop at the National Theatre yesterday and there were all these students from CSSD and I thought: 'I cant be part of this if Im in Cardiff'.
And these people at Wimbledon winning Oscars and Oliviers for their stage design. Its maddening.
I fell like if I choose one school over the others Im losing out on something.
Wish they would just make one big art/theatre school and we could all go there!!!

Phew, what a vent! Sorry, just seems so important to choose the right school!

Thanks! yes it's hard to make a decision it is a large amount of years to dedicate. But I hope you get there, at least you get to choose! It's also hard to make the choice because it's such a tiring process so difficult to think clearly.
Some one negatived my 'possibly go to brighton' post wonder why? deleted it now because it was a bit on the spot on my phone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1588
Original post by Princeling

I had my Goldsmiths interview yesterday and idk... I think I had the same women as you, joverbena. They were OK interested in my work and asked me some good questions, but they said also my work was a bit too "literal" and if I'd considered just doing ___. I don't know. I'd say it's 50/50 I get a place or not; but it was certainly the most challenging interview I've had... not because they ask many hard questions but you're expected to talk a lot on the spot about your work.

Original post by Farout
Finally all 5 interviews finished!!! Apparently I won't find out my result from Goldsmiths Fine Art until the end of april:[ now to play the waiting game!!

**** ive just remembered i need to take a piece of writing to the interview, did either of you take one and did they even look at it? or did they forget?

Ahhhh end of april is so long away, should be cos of the easter break i guess
Reply 1589
Original post by Soares
**** ive just remembered i need to take a piece of writing to the interview, did either of you take one and did they even look at it? or did they forget?

yeah they asked but he didn't read it, but I think its because it's the same essay I submitted for e portfolio, which they said was acceptable on the interview invite, so just do that:]
Original post by Soares

Scanned through a folder I took of writing inc the essay I uploaded, I took my final major project statement of intent too and they took it away from me to look at later :s-smilie:
Reply 1591
Original post by Farout
yeah they asked but he didn't read it, but I think its because it's the same essay I submitted for e portfolio, which they said was acceptable on the interview invite, so just do that:]

Scanned through a folder I took of writing inc the essay I uploaded, I took my final major project statement of intent too and they took it away from me to look at later :s-smilie:

Also how much work did u take?

Kingston criticized me for taking too little so im getting self conscious about this :rolleyes:
Original post by Soares
Also how much work did u take?

Kingston criticized me for taking too little so im getting self conscious about this :rolleyes:

I just took two essays, fmp statement and short essays i did for my art history distance course. But i think it was to make up for not so much sketchbook work so i dont think its important to bring too much writing, so dont be self concious! I think i must be on the maybe/reject pile and think i should have filled more sketchbooks so just use what youv got and distract them with your enthusiasm :smile:

I took just 1 research file, one essay folder, one a3. Not ttally full sketchbook and a1 portfolio. Ddnt get criticized but didnt get an offer there either!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1593
I just took two essays, fmp statement and short essays i did for my art history distance course. But i think it was to make up for not so much sketchbook work so i dont think its important to bring too much writing, so dont be self concious! I think i must be on the maybe/reject pile and think i should have filled more sketchbooks so just use what youv got and distract them with your enthusiasm :smile:

Cooool ive just noticed how much writing i have in my sketchbooks anyways, more writing than drafting

How much seperate artwork did you take in your portfolio though? im struggling with this :/
Original post by Soares
Cooool ive just noticed how much writing i have in my sketchbooks anyways, more writing than drafting

How much separate artwork did you take in your portfolio though? im struggling with this :/

Mm about maybe 15/16 A1 Sheets possibly less. Decided cos it was A1 that quality better than quantity. But not so sure with goldsmiths, sorry! Think most important thing is to draw attention to what you want to talk about though in your portfolio but i guess 20 (A2?) pages is usually, the recommended amount. I had a feeling by the end they would have maybe liked to have seen more. So bring as much sketchbook stuff you have! it was as if one of the tutors was ONLY looking through the sketchbook work i had and my other bits (writing) and the stricter lady was look solely and talking to me about portfolio. I think my sketchbook let me down a bit!
Reply 1595
Mm about maybe 15/16 A1 Sheets possibly less. Decided cos it was A1 that quality better than quantity. But not so sure with goldsmiths, sorry! Think most important thing is to draw attention to what you want to talk about though in your portfolio but i guess 20 (A2?) pages is usually, the recommended amount. I had a feeling by the end they would have maybe liked to have seen more. So bring as much sketchbook stuff you have! it was as if one of the tutors was ONLY looking through the sketchbook work i had and my other bits (writing) and the stricter lady was look solely and talking to me about portfolio. I think my sketchbook let me down a bit!

Right leaving in an hour wish me luck!! thanks for the advice :smile:

confidence confidence **** **** ****
Original post by Soares
Right leaving in an hour wish me luck!! thanks for the advice :smile:

confidence confidence **** **** ****

Absolute massive good luck to you! Be thinking of you, know you can do it! be brave and remember you are an artist already :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure I had the exact same tutors interviewing me for Goldsmiths, because they did the same thing. The good cop/bad cop routine? LOL.

Soares, best of luck!!! You'll do fine.
Reply 1598
Ah, Do you feel unsure how you did like i do? they seemed positive about what i had to say about why i chose the course. Knowing some people have been accepted on the spot though ..doesn't feel too promising! What do you think about it there?

Don't worry I feel the same, did you apply for BA (Hons) Fine Art or the BA (Hons) Fine Art & History of Art?? I applied for the BA (Hons) Fine Art and I'm hoping they don't offer anyone a place on the spot...:tongue:
Original post by Farout
Don't worry I feel the same, did you apply for BA (Hons) Fine Art or the BA (Hons) Fine Art & History of Art?? I applied for the BA (Hons) Fine Art and I'm hoping they don't offer anyone a place on the spot...:tongue:

BA Fine art and history of art :smile: good luck with getting in is it your first choice?- i'm having an off moment today i feel like i haven't a clue where or if i'm going :rolleyes: the desire to get accepted somewhere has sort of eclipsed whether I actually want to go anywhere or not!? sure it will pass though

Quick Reply

Latest