The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Wow this is a huuuuuuge thread! Has anyone here got offers from Wimbledon (theatre design) or Edinburgh (performance costume) by any chance?!

Or can anyone just help me decide which place is better because I think my head could explode soon!

*****also good luck in your applications!!*****
I just withdrew from Wimbledon and going to Firm Goldsmiths Insurance Brighton tonight :smile: got the acceptance letter from goldsmiths today anyone else?
Original post by glitter_ever
I just withdrew from Wimbledon and going to Firm Goldsmiths Insurance Brighton tonight :smile: got the acceptance letter from goldsmiths today anyone else?

I got mine yesterday. They seem really keen to get people to go don't they? :tongue:
Original post by kmmdk
congratulations on the offers - everyone who got any!! :smile:

Unfortunately I got all rejections even though I had an interview... This is the first time I am applying in the UK (from scandinavia) and also the first time I am going through this confusing process of submitting mini portfolio; interview portfolio etc.

I might apply in UK again next year, if I am not accepted anywhere else in Europe. Therefore I am very curious about how you successful guys put together your portfolio (I take it that you are willing to share, now that the competetive part is over :biggrin:)... I am thinking layout-wise and how you arranged the folio for presentation/interview - for the fine art courses. If anyone feels like giving a helping hand to a dissappointed person please write in this thread or in personal message --- your help is greatly appreciated!

peace and love from denmark

Don't be put off as I think many people even on here had a practice run on UCAS and were much more successful the second time, especially with art I think the process is most nervewracking due to the competitiveness. I would say that trying to pick quality over quantity seemed to help me, but lots of sketchbooks and sketch drawings really help to communicate ideas if you have, and writing work seems to go down well, it seemed to help me with Goldsmiths even though I don't think I brought enough sketchbooks (I only had one!)

I took one A5 research file overflowing with ticket stubs and pamphlets of various exhibition I'd been to.

My portfolio only had about 15 sheets I'd say or a bit less, but they were A1 large size. I didn't fill all the papers up all the time though, some were mounted in a strip across the middle... like film work and a process of making a little sculpture.

For the fine art art history I made a file of my writing (anything I could find, to do with writing about art)

Just make sure you have a strong feeling about what your best work is and go with what you believe to be true, seemed to help me get into goldsmiths and brighton. They don't like it if people have too many assumptions about the course or your own work, feel maybe you should still be curious at the interview and ask them a few questions! Also make them know you realize it is a challenging course and you are open to that.. not thinking it will be easy etc. Prepare a portfolio sheet before interview that you know you can talk about for a few minutes if you need to. Mock interviews help! Even if you just do it with yourself .. role play it out!

However, I didn't get into Chelsea so if you're wanting to go there maybe Don't take my advice!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
I got mine yesterday. They seem really keen to get people to go don't they? :tongue:

Maybe, because the fees have gone up? It's probably had an effect on the number of applicants etc. But that's fine by me, they do seem keen and suspiciously respectful to the student for such a competitive university, but I think that's a good thing, they just seem to be being really organized with correspondence, in a way that's how they all should ideally be though?
Maybe, because the fees have gone up? It's probably had an effect on the number of applicants etc. But that's fine by me, they do seem keen and suspiciously respectful to the student for such a competitive university, but I think that's a good thing, they just seem to be being really organized with correspondence, in a way that's how they all should ideally be though?

Yeah I know what you mean, they're almost TOO nice! I guess it bodes well for students though, they're probably going to be on the ball with giving out information and feedback and everything. I'm kind of bothered that I've heard nothing back from UCAS about accepting my place, but I'm not too sure how this bit works.
Yeah I know what you mean, they're almost TOO nice! I guess it bodes well for students though, they're probably going to be on the ball with giving out information and feedback and everything. I'm kind of bothered that I've heard nothing back from UCAS about accepting my place, but I'm not too sure how this bit works.

ok no time like the present so i just firmed it :smile: yes it is scary being so dependent on this little computerized system thing
ok no time like the present so i just firmed it :smile: yes it is scary being so dependent on this little computerized system thing

Yay! :biggrin:

Just thought I'd say that when I firmed my place, I got a letter a few days later from UCAS where they have a list of my choices and a code next to them (e.g. rejected, firm, insurance, withdrawn etc) to check that they've got it right. You don't have to do anything unless one of the codes is wrong :smile:
Original post by Village Whisper
Just thought I'd say that when I firmed my place, I got a letter a few days later from UCAS where they have a list of my choices and a code next to them (e.g. rejected, firm, insurance, withdrawn etc) to check that they've got it right. You don't have to do anything unless one of the codes is wrong :smile:

Oh thanks! I was kind of worrying that I hadn't had any of those 'your ucas track has changed' emails. It's so strange how they send letters for one thing but emails for another :s-smilie:
Still haven't heard back from Chelsea since interview! Worried they have forgotten about me.. Anyone else in this position or contacted them recently?
Reply 1651
Just withdrew Goldsmiths, Firmed Slade and declined the rest... this still doesn't feel real! Well done everyone on offers!! good luck on all your courses xxx
Reply 1652
Original post by kmmdk
congratulations on the offers - everyone who got any!! :smile:

Unfortunately I got all rejections even though I had an interview... This is the first time I am applying in the UK (from scandinavia) and also the first time I am going through this confusing process of submitting mini portfolio; interview portfolio etc.

I might apply in UK again next year, if I am not accepted anywhere else in Europe. Therefore I am very curious about how you successful guys put together your portfolio (I take it that you are willing to share, now that the competetive part is over :biggrin:)... I am thinking layout-wise and how you arranged the folio for presentation/interview - for the fine art courses. If anyone feels like giving a helping hand to a dissappointed person please write in this thread or in personal message --- your help is greatly appreciated!

peace and love from denmark

Don't be disheartened and definitely try again! Last year I had 5 rejections (didn't even get any interviews) and this year I didn't get one rejection, so don't give up! I used the application experience to my advantage:] best of luck xxx

Portfolio Advice: I had an A2 portfolio, with a showreel of my moving image and sound work on a dvd inside, I had one main project section, and the one section of other projects/collaborative works. Overall I submitted 5 relevant sketchbooks and handed out my blog URL. Layout is important, avoid plastic wallets, be thoughtful, and make sure the way you present your work reflects your ideas and you as a person! -and I didn't include life drawing! Hope that helps :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Farout
Just withdrew Goldsmiths, Firmed Slade and declined the rest... this still doesn't feel real! Well done everyone on offers!! good luck on all your courses xxx

Wohoo! I know what you mean it doesn't feel real for me & goldsmiths either, thought it'd be out of my reach but the excitement should kick in soon!

If anybody going to London in september (goldsmiths or othrwise) wants to link up on facebook or anything just pm me :smile:

Good luck to people still waiting and goingthrough it and people trying again for next year too
If you have a foundation course, do you still need to have already satisfied the A Level Entry requirements?
Original post by joelchan
If you have a foundation course, do you still need to have already satisfied the A Level Entry requirements?

I don't think it matters as much as if you were going straight from A-Level, but I don't think they'd like it too much if you had all Ds and they wanted As (for example). Foundations are definitely valuable to a lot of places, though...I know it's been said 1010857494839 times on here already, but I think it's really more about the actual work.

If it helps, a couple of places I applied to gave you an automatic interview if you had/were doing a foundation, and I think that was regardless of the A-Level grades. Art course entry requirements aren't usually that high anyway :smile:
Reply 1656
Original post by cocacola123
Still haven't heard back from Chelsea since interview! Worried they have forgotten about me.. Anyone else in this position or contacted them recently?

I've had this too, one friend got an offer last Friday and some others got rejections a couple of days ago but i still haven't heard, i rang today and they said their still sorting but we should hear by monday/tuesday at the latest! Good luck!:biggrin:
Reply 1657
Original post by joelchan

Depends on the course and institution, sometimes they can be wavered, but otherwise yes.
Original post by kemily
I've had this too, one friend got an offer last Friday and some others got rejections a couple of days ago but i still haven't heard, i rang today and they said their still sorting but we should hear by monday/tuesday at the latest! Good luck!:biggrin:

Thanks for this information!! Good luck to you too.. So scared.
4 interviews,1withdrawn,3 conditionals,1 rejection
........firm:london college of fashion and dmu as insurance......yay fashion textiles!! Cannot wait to move to london :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest