The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
@ yara and byrd:
thank you very much to both of you for your quick replies and all the information...you are a great help!!!

Original post by yaravel
did you go to the open day? i went and fell in love - the student work was very VERY good, especially in the graphic design course (the one i'm applying to) and they've got loads of facilities, lot's of good work spread around the walls, the tutors and people seemed very friendly and the curriculum seems focused on actually learning theory and acquiring practical knowledge at a balanced level - something i didn't find in the uk (i went to UAL for around 4 months, attended two colleges as I asked for a transfer in the hope it would make things better; it didn't - wouldn't recommend it, nor would the people who were on my course or in my halls, we were all amazed over how everyone seemed to hate it).

the only thing i'm worried about is the international outlook. i talked with an exchange student from the usa and she loves it and says that everyone speaks english and everyone seems to be from somewhere else, but I'm always afraid I'll be the only international student there or something.

anyways, will be finishing my application this weekend and on monday i'll email my portfolio and assignments to them. what course are you applying for?

oh and would just like to add that personally, I disliked Rietveld. Me and a friend were applying there but after attending the open day, and after she went to her interview there, we both realised that the environment is mostly pedantic and it doesn't even have a good reason for it since the work has no content to it, seems vague and badly finished (I'm talking about graphic design and arquitectural design mostly, since I'm applying for GD and my friend to AD, so those were the departments we looked at more closely. The only good thing is the international factor since about half the students there come from abroad (as opposed to the 20-30% seen at KABK, I believe).

Original post by yaravel
From an American exchange student with whom I talked:

How's the percentage of international students? And where are they usually coming from? What about the city? Are the dutch friendly?

I don’t know the percentage of international students, it does seem quite high though, I’ve met people from Russia, Asia, Isreal, Turkey…they come from many places. The city is very nice and peaceful, and the dutch are very friendly. I have never had an issue with asking for help or asking to speak english. They will happily help you from what I have experienced.

yeah, I am sure, you don't have to worry about the international thing...the fact that they propose the courses in english somehow already guarantees an international orientation I would assume...then of course, there is always the question how it will work in every day life with the students from NL and so on...but I guess that this search for an uncertainty is also what triggers us to go study abroad...and it stimulates creativity :biggrin:

I haven't been to any open day and I am afraid I won't have the means for that before applying...then anyway, if one is admitted to an interview one has to go there I suppose? could you precise a bit more the application procedure? I didn't really understand if you have to email a portfolio or/and will go there for an interview?:confused:

I think of applying for the entry in september 2013 and will probably apply for photography or even for fine art (kabk is one of the places where the description of the fine arts course is really appealing to me...)

Original post by byrd
hey, no worries, happy to help. When i first applied I felt completely on my own! i had my first round of interviews in february. I did my foundation in the UK last year which meant i could go to all the interviews in person. I got an offer from the hague a week after my first interview so i've skipped the second stage. I had my second Rietveld interview in april. it was a good interview similar to those i'd had in the UK but it was with two different interview panels you also had to do two different set projects for them.

They're very different schools. The KABK comes off as being a bit more serious, but still conceptual and creative. The Rietveld is a bit vaguer, and highly conceptual, facilities wise it is not as good. it's a very small school with most facilities only for the dedicated department, but it has a good creative atmosphere. I didn't look into the school in rotterdam however, i've heard good things. Rotterdam is meant to be a pretty vibrant city too.
It's been really hard to make a decision about where to go, I got into Goldsmiths and have felt pretty tempted because it is part of a larger university and because of the ethos of the department. I'm glad to have looked abroad though it's been a really positive experience. :smile:
hope to have helped a bit! :biggrin:

:confused:
sorry, I am a bit confused...I don't understand why doing your foundation in UK meant that you could attend the interviews in NL in person...or am I misunderstanding something :colondollar:?

two different sets plus the one that you present in your first interview...wow, that seems a lot...for me that sounds a bit intimidating..I am a mature student coming from a totally different field of studies and haven't attended a foundation (yet?) ...don't feel like I have a big bag of super projects to present...

could you also say something to the question that I asked yara about the application? does it mean that normally there are two rounds, that one has to attend personally, but you already got an offer after the first?

did you firm goldsmiths? what made you take the decision or was it more a feeling...?

in any case, I hope I don't bother you two too much with these new questions...just so happy to finally find somebody who knows about these schools :biggrin:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1761
Original post by babsiloi
@ yara and byrd:
thank you very much to both of you for your quick replies and all the information...you are a great help!!!

yeah, I am sure, you don't have to worry about the international thing...the fact that they propose the courses in english somehow already guarantees an international orientation I would assume...then of course, there is always the question how it will work in every day life with the students from NL and so on...but I guess that this search for an uncertainty is also what triggers us to go study abroad...and it stimulates creativity :biggrin:

I haven't been to any open day and I am afraid I won't have the means for that before applying...then anyway, if one is admitted to an interview one has to go there I suppose? could you precise a bit more the application procedure? I didn't really understand if you have to email a portfolio or/and will go there for an interview?:confused:

I think of applying for the entry in september 2013 and will probably apply for photography or even for fine art (kabk is one of the places where the description of the fine arts course is really appealing to me...)

:confused:
sorry, I am a bit confused...I don't understand why doing your foundation in UK meant that you could attend the interviews in NL in person...or am I misunderstanding something :colondollar:?

two different sets plus the one that you present in your first interview...wow, that seems a lot...for me that sounds a bit intimidating..I am a mature student coming from a totally different field of studies and haven't attended a foundation (yet?) ...don't feel like I have a big bag of super projects to present...

could you also say something to the question that I asked yara about the application? does it mean that normally there are two rounds, that one has to attend personally, but you already got an offer after the first?

did you firm goldsmiths? what made you take the decision or was it more a feeling...?

in any case, I hope I don't bother you two too much with these new questions...just so happy to finally find somebody who knows about these schools :biggrin:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

About the application procedure, I ended up not applying to Rietveld because I was so put off by the open day in January (Rietveld open day on the 27th of January and KABK open day on the 28th, a saturday!). However, my friend applied and because she was taking a gap year she booked an appointment. You can post or email your portfolio to them until the 31st of January (at least this year it was like that) but appointments start in November and the last one was on the 22nd of March, is I'm not mistaken. After your appointment or "consultation" you are invited for another interview or whatever that is. which is basically them looking at your stuff in a big room with grey walls - my friend's words - she didn't really like the experience.

For KABK, I was supposed to go there for an appointment on the 4th of April but it was fully booked, so they invited me to go on the 23rd of May (tomorrow). However, I told them I couldn't make it for that day and they told me to email or post my stuff, so that's what I did. I think is preferable to attend an interview but unfortunately for me it was impossible.

Hope that helps!

Byrd, where did you do your foundation? Did you go to any of the open days in January? And are you applying to the higher year at Rietveld and/or KABK?

Quick Reply

Latest