The Student Room Group

The great big Edexcel FP2 and FP3 thread 2011 (links to solutions now in first post)

Hadn't seen one of these around yet so I thought I'd take the liberty of making one myself..

I thought this might be a good place to post any revision tips, any worries, or perhaps past questions from these modules that you either found challenging or weren't able to complete. I'll try and sort out some sort of unofficial mark scheme here for each the day after each exam.

To get the ball rolling, I had a bit of trouble with this question (from FP3):
The part of the curve y=exy=e^x, between (0,1) and (ln2,2), is rotated completely about the x-axis. Show that the area of the surface generated is:

π(arsinh2arsinh1+252)\pi (arsinh2 - arsinh1 +2 \sqrt{5} - \sqrt{2})

Good luck, and happy studying!

Note: If you post a question, please specify which module it's from!

FP2 2011 MS
FP3 2011 MS

Thanks to vc94 for uploading these :h:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I think this is a really good idea, just working through your intergral now
Reply 2
Original post by cpdavis
Hey I think this is a really good idea, just working through your intergral now

Ah thanks! Was starting to get the impression people didn't really need/want a group like this...

How's the integral going?
Original post by olipal
Ah thanks! Was starting to get the impression people didn't really need/want a group like this...

I'll probably use it more once I start going for the big FPs in about a week's time....when I get M3 nailed down. Currently M3 is the main focus :P
Reply 4
Original post by olipal

How's the integral going?

Well I have got all my components that I need, but now I have:

intergral e^x (sqr root (e^2x +1))

Have no idea what to do from here, it it was inversed I might have thought of partial fractions
Reply 5
Original post by SoCStormtrooper
I'll probably use it more once I start going for the big FPs in about a week's time....when I get M3 nailed down. Currently M3 is the main focus :P

Haha definitely getting a bit ahead of myself I think. M2 in two weeks, with 1/5 chapters learnt so far.

Gonna be FUN.
Reply 6
Original post by cpdavis
Well I have got all my components that I need, but now I have:

intergral e^x (sqr root (e^2x +1))

Have no idea what to do from here, it it was inversed I might have thought of partial fractions

Yeah this is right, the clue for the next bit is actually in the question - where could the arsinh have come from?
Reply 7
Original post by olipal
Hadn't seen one of these around yet so I thought I'd take the liberty of making one myself..

I thought this might be a good place to post any revision tips, any worries, or perhaps past questions from these modules that you either found challenging or weren't able to complete. I'll try and sort out some sort of unofficial mark scheme here for each the day after each exam.

To get the ball rolling, I had a bit of trouble with this question (from FP3):
The part of the curve y=exy=e^x, between (0,1) and (ln2,2), is rotated completely about the x-axis. Show that the area of the surface generated is:

π(arsinh2arsinh1+252)\pi (arsinh2 - arsinh1 +2 \sqrt{5} - \sqrt{2})

Good luck, and happy studying!

Note: If you post a question, please specify which module it's from!

tried parts and keep getting in a circle
Reply 8
Original post by cpdavis
tried parts and keep getting in a circle

I'm fairly sure this worked when I tried the other day...

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by olipal
I'm fairly sure this worked when I tried the other day...

Spoiler

Oh dear, I'm still hungover why didn't I think of that! That substitution makes things so easier
Reply 10
Original post by cpdavis
Oh dear, I'm still hungover why didn't I think of that! That substitution makes things so easier

Haha yeah it seems to work really well. I'm gonna go do some FP3 now so I'll pop back later with anything interesting I find.
I'm doing these exams. I haven't finished either module. I'm on the last chapter of FP2 (polar coordinates) and I'm still on vectors for FP3! I haven't even looked at Further Matrix Algebra yet, FFS. Also, I've pretty much forgotten Further Complex Numbers and differential equations, so i'll have to start tthose again from scratch. ****.
Reply 12
Original post by malteser12345
I'm doing these exams. I haven't finished either module. I'm on the last chapter of FP2 (polar coordinates) and I'm still on vectors for FP3! I haven't even looked at Further Matrix Algebra yet, FFS. Also, I've pretty much forgotten Further Complex Numbers and differential equations, so i'll have to start tthose again from scratch. ****.

I'm exactly the same! So much work left to do...
..:biggrin:.......

Forgotten all FP2 and FP3 already:tongue:....Gotta revise...
Reply 14
Original post by cazzy-joe
..:biggrin:.......

Forgotten all FP2 and FP3 already:tongue:....Gotta revise...

You applied to Lincoln College, Oxford didn't you..?

:ninja:
Original post by olipal
I'm exactly the same! So much work left to do...

I've done Fp2, haven't finished FP3 yet
I'm going to be living in this thread in the next couple of weeks for help :biggrin:

At the moment the hardest topics for me seem to be:
- FP2 Complex loci and plane transformations.
- FP3 Vectors.
- FP3 Integration.
- FP2 Taylor Series.

Also here are the links for the P5 and P6 solomon papers. They are really good practise if you are running out of papers. They are a complete mix of FP2 and FP3 :smile:

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FMaths%2FEdexcel%2FFP2%2FSolomon/
http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FMaths%2FEdexcel%2FFP3%2FSolomon/
Original post by olipal
You applied to Lincoln College, Oxford didn't you..?

:ninja:

Yupp:frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 18
Gah thanks for reminding me. I did FP2 so long ago I've forgotten most of the complex numbers/polar co-ordinates stuff... time to REVISE!

I enjoyed the integral in the OP :biggrin:, it made a welcome break from attempted M3 revision :tongue:.

Oh and if anyone wants those big docs of relevant past paper questions I can post them here.
Ahh doing both of these :frown: yesterday I made a breakthrough in that I finally feel like I have started making progress in FP2, and I have even started some past paper questions! :woo: Sadly the same cannot be said for FP3

Latest

Trending

Trending