The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Stirlo
Released 4 players earlier, Deale Chamberlain, Steven Irwin, Alex Cooper and Nikola Saric. Would've actually thought more would've been released than that

Liverpool Echo and BBC reporting that two more reserves left.

Seems that Soto new contract is true http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13801498.stm. Though not signed yet of course. But he still could be sold.
Original post by Colonel.
I can see Aqua being sold. A passing game isn't Kenny's style, he likes the ol' rough'n'tumble of a gritty game :colone:

'Pass And Move Is The Liverpool Groove' :cool:

Im not even a Liverpool fan but I know that because of my father. :biggrin:

Kenny will definitely bring that back. Its kind of funny that people are slating Henderson after two games for England's U21's.

Do they not realise that Kenny will nurture him and turn him into a quality player? Not only that but England are not that good at senior level at the moment, never mind U21 level, so its not exactly a surprise that they were outclassed by Spain and then kept out by the Ukraine. Its about who you play with too. At Liverpool next season, Henderson will come on leaps and bounds and Kenny himself knows that. He's a clever person and a master of the game.

I'd have faith in all his signings to be honest. If he's willing to part with cash for them, he's seen something in them that he deems valuable to the squad.
Reply 902
Original post by mikeylfc1989
I seem to be the only one who wouldn't mind Adam coming? He's a match winner, left-footed and great a set-pieces, for 7 million, I don't see why anyone has a problem with that. I would only be disappointed if he ended up as a replacement for Meireles.

As for Downing, he's a very good player and ridiculously underrated. I can't see him being the only winger we sign either as it's a weak area, I won't judge it until I see who else we get...

I would be happy with two from Downing/Cazorla/Mata. I can see all three of those fitting right into our team; intelligent, quick, can pick a pass and cross...
Would be disappointed with only Downing though but I doubt that will be the case.

Adam wouldn't cost £7m, especially with the new interest from UTD and Spurs. He's worth around that much, though I reckon we'd have to pay around £12m for him if we really want him. Is he worth that much? That's the million dollar question. But he could provide us with a real creative option in midfield if he plays like he did for Blackpool this season..

I think people are being abit ignorant about Downing, and I agree that he's developed into a good player, was Villa's POTY too, ahead of Ashley Young. I think if he was foreign he'd be warmed to a lot more. He's deceptively quick aswell, would be a good signing especially for Carroll. We signed Riera and although he wasn't a world beater he had a massive effect on our team, stretching the play and giving us genuine width, which in turn provided us with more space in the middle, contributing to our good season in 08/09.

I think both would be astute signings tbh, and would contribute to our overall game pretty well.
Reply 903
I'd be very happy with signing downing aslong as he wasn't the only winger we bring in. He's a smart player who'll provide some good chances for Carroll but can also pass it around.
Reply 904
I don't particularly like Downing personally but I guess now that Maxi looks to be trying to get out I wouldn't say no. He's a good crosser of the ball and isn't a bad winger, it's the price that's the big worry for me. The figures that are thrown are outrageous for him but whatever, if we sign him we sign him, just have to trust Kenny's decision. Quite a few reports saying we've put in a bid for Santi Corzorla(sp) now too, he's another player who I wouldn't mind seeing in a red shirt
Downing is like an improved version of Maxi, but I'd still like to have Maxi around. He's a clever player and obviously in great form. He passes well and is an overachiever.
I think Downing's fine as a bench player but I think most Liverpool fans(including me) would probably be annoyed if he is the only winger that we sign. However, I think we will also make a "superstar" signing because FSG will be looking to make a statement in the transfer window.
I know the Henderson deal has been done for a few days now but, 20 million? What a waste. I don't care how young he is, we basically got Suarez, who had scored bags of goals for country and club for a few million more, and he is only a couple of years older!

I don't mind if the Adam rumours are true as long as it's in the 7-8 region.

Stewart Downing? I mean he's not bad but he's not exactly going to spark any real life into this team is he. Mata strikes me as someone who would be similar to Suarez in the sense that he would come to the Premier League having a point to prove. Downing has already established himself as that slightly above mediocre winger who always lacked something, and I just can't see a move to Liverpool changing that.
Reply 908
Marveaux medical reported by the Guardian. So injury prone so I don't understand the signing. Probably means we're either not going for Downing or Mata. Or I'm seriously off and he's just a decent squad replacement on low wages.
Original post by kuks
Marveaux medical reported by the Guardian. So injury prone so I don't understand the signing. Probably means we're either not going for Downing or Mata. Or I'm seriously off and he's just a decent squad replacement on low wages.

Hopefully he's decent/stays fit. I sort of trust Comolli when it comes to transfers, especially within the French market.

I think we'll only sign one other winger, buying both Mata and Downing would have been a big ask anyway considering we're still looking to spend heavily in other areas.

Only time will tell, I wouldn't imagine Marveaux to be on a huge wage given that he's been at Rennes since he was 20 and there didn't seem to be massive competition for his signature. So perhaps he is a deemed a squad player. I honestly don't know enough about the lad.
I want Cazorla!! That lad is a wizard.
zzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooooooooooooom, Expelliarmus!! :mad:
Reply 911
Original post by mikeylfc1989
I want Cazorla!! That lad is a wizard.
zzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooooooooooooom, Expelliarmus!! :mad:

What about little Joe Cole, I thought he was better than Messi? :mad:
Reply 912
Original post by mau5
What about little Joe Cole, I thought he was better than Messi? :mad:

I would love for you'll to take him then. Could take Newcastle to a top 10 finish!
:teehee:
Reply 913
Original post by kuks
I would love for you'll to take him then. Could take Newcastle to a top 10 finish!
:teehee:

He wouldn't get in our team, which is odd given that he ''can do everything Messi can do, and more''. :confused:
Reply 914
Sunderland at home first match of the season :smile:

Opening weekend - Saturday 13 August

Blackburn v Wolves

Fulham v Aston Villa

Liverpool v Sunderland

Man City v Swansea

Newcastle v Arsenal

QPR v Bolton

Stoke v Chelsea

Tottenham v Everton

West Brom v Man Utd

Wigan v Norwich

Saturday 20 August

Arsenal v Liverpool

Aston Villa v Blackburn

Bolton v Man City

Chelsea v West Brom

Everton v QPR

Man Utd v Tottenham

Norwich v Stoke

Sunderland v Newcastle

Swansea v Wigan

Wolves v Fulham

Saturday 27 August

Aston Villa v Wolves

Blackburn v Everton

Chelsea v Norwich

Liverpool v Bolton

Man Utd v Arsenal

Newcastle v Fulham

Swansea v Sunderland

Tottenham v Man City

West Brom v Stoke

Wigan v QPR

Full fixtures (Liverpool only):

August

Sat 13th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Sunderland
Sat 20th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Arsenal vs Liverpool
Sat 27th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Bolton

September
Sat 10th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Stoke vs Liverpool
Sat 17th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Tottenham vs Liverpool
Sat 24th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Wolverhampton

October
Sat 1st 15:00 Barclays Premier League Everton vs Liverpool
Sat 15th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Man Utd
Sat 22nd 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Norwich
Sat 29th 15:00 Barclays Premier League West Brom vs Liverpool

November

Sat 5th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Swansea
Sat 19th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Chelsea vs Liverpool
Sat 26th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Man City

December
Sat 3rd 15:00 Barclays Premier League Fulham vs Liverpool
Sat 10th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs QPR
Sat 17th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Aston Villa vs Liverpool
Tue 20th 19:45 Barclays Premier League Wigan vs Liverpool
Mon 26th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Blackburn
Sat 31st 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Newcastle

January

Mon 2nd 15:00 Barclays Premier League Man City vs Liverpool
Sat 14th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Stoke
Sat 21st 15:00 Barclays Premier League Bolton vs Liverpool
Tue 31st 19:45 Barclays Premier League Wolverhampton vs Liverpool

February
Sat 4th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Tottenham
Sat 11th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Man Utd vs Liverpool
Sat 25th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Everton

March

Sat 3rd 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Arsenal
Sat 10th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Sunderland vs Liverpool
Sat 17th 15:00 Barclays Premier League QPR vs Liverpool
Sat 24th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Wigan
Sat 31st 15:00 Barclays Premier League Newcastle vs Liverpool

April

Sat 7th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Aston Villa
Mon 9th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Blackburn vs Liverpool
Sat 14th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Fulham
Sat 21st 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs West Brom
Sat 28th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Norwich vs Liverpool

May

Sat 5th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Liverpool vs Chelsea
Sun 13th 15:00 Barclays Premier League Swansea vs Liverpool
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 915
Original post by kuks

Marveaux is coming in on a free though (yes that dreaded free transfer that fails us everytime), so I don't think it'll affect us in signing another winger. We still need at least two more I'd say
Reply 916
Original post by mau5
He wouldn't get in our team, which is odd given that he ''can do everything Messi can do, and more''. :confused:

I'd take him for free if he accepted wages of £25k a week. Any more and he's a waste of space.

He'll stay at Liverpool till his contracts up. Now you know how we felt about Michael Owen.

I hope Joe Cole enjoys his £100k+ a week :coma:
Reply 917
Fixtures have been kind to us really. All the big games are pretty spread out, bar the first two months.
Reply 918
Original post by L18
Fixtures have been kind to us really. All the big games are pretty spread out, bar the first two months.

I never see why people think this. The fixtures can't be kind. You play each other at home & away. It doesn't matter when you play them.
Reply 919
Original post by L18

If you look at the last two months we've only really got one match against a top title challenging team (chelsea), which could potentially work in our favour

Latest