The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Straight up G
And Brad Jones will be the Premier League top scorer next year.

Now that's just silly.
Reply 961
I really, really hope we sign Juan Mata. Would mean a title bid could be a very real possibility next season.
Just been looking at the odds for the Premier League title next season, we're 5th Favourites @ 11/1 with Arsenal only marginally lower @ 8/1

Spurs @ 64/1

This really says something about our squad and Kenny's revolution. Even the bookies have some faith in us for next year.
Original post by milan5baros
Just been looking at the odds for the Premier League title next season, we're 5th Favourites @ 11/1 with Arsenal only marginally lower @ 8/1

Spurs @ 64/1

This really says something about our squad and Kenny's revolution. Even the bookies have some faith in us for next year.

We were 25/1 not so long ago, it's because a lot of people have put money on us and the prices have gone down. Our price would be lower than Spurs anyway because of the speculation regarding their best players, and the fact that they have Europa League...
Them Mancs that call me deluded when I say we have title aspirations will be pointed towards these odds..
What odds are given by betting companies is irrelevant tbfh.

People shouldn't get ahead of themselves.
We finished 7th with 63 points and then 6th with 58 points over the last two seasons. We've not had wholesale changes to our team over the past 3 years (although gradually it has changed quite a bit now).

We need to address the glaring weaknesses in the team (left back, wingers etc)
We need to address the squad depth in the team (we're allowed 25 players with unlimited U-21 and 7 subs on the bench, need more competition among places).

After we've done both of those, we need the players to understand/learn/perform the tactics of Kenny/Clarke and gel as a team and the manager needs to get the best out of every player in the squad.

All of these are not going to happen overnight or over one summer. The manager has only had half a season and we've seen some changes, we're going to buy some players and they've got pre-season to gel with each other.

We're a long way from a title challenge (in a very competitive league with Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, City having already achieved a number of the above).

People need to give the team and the manager time now. We're buying players aged 20-24, not established stars. Once we've put a squad together and they've had time to develop, in a couple of years we should be looking at a title challenge.

However, as a Liverpool fan, I have utmost faith in Kenny and hope all of the above is fast tracked and we do challenge this season but there's a big difference between hope and expectation and people need to remember that distinction again imo.
Original post by Zerforax
What odds are given by betting companies is irrelevant tbfh.

People shouldn't get ahead of themselves.
We finished 7th with 63 points and then 6th with 58 points over the last two seasons. We've not had wholesale changes to our team over the past 3 years (although gradually it has changed quite a bit now).

We need to address the glaring weaknesses in the team (left back, wingers etc)
We need to address the squad depth in the team (we're allowed 25 players with unlimited U-21 and 7 subs on the bench, need more competition among places).

After we've done both of those, we need the players to understand/learn/perform the tactics of Kenny/Clarke and gel as a team and the manager needs to get the best out of every player in the squad.

All of these are not going to happen overnight or over one summer. The manager has only had half a season and we've seen some changes, we're going to buy some players and they've got pre-season to gel with each other.

We're a long way from a title challenge (in a very competitive league with Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, City having already achieved a number of the above).

People need to give the team and the manager time now. We're buying players aged 20-24, not established stars. Once we've put a squad together and they've had time to develop, in a couple of years we should be looking at a title challenge.

However, as a Liverpool fan, I have utmost faith in Kenny and hope all of the above is fast tracked and we do challenge this season but there's a big difference between hope and expectation and people need to remember that distinction again imo.

The second bold bit did happen pretty much overnight actually, well, over about 2 months. The only player worse under Kenny was N'gog, and Lucas/Reina were relatively the same (still at a very high level) - every single other player improved massively.

The first bold bit is completely wrong - they have a financial incentive to set their prices correctly, although, as I said earlier, lots of people putting money on a certain outcome will cause them to lower the price (to lessen the risk). The price was set at between 20 and 25/1 earlier, they would have anticipated people betting on it, so the real odds would probably be somewhere between 11/1 and 25/1.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 967
Hearing about a possible collapse of the Adam deal, and we are allegedly looking at Celtic's Ki Sung-Yeung. Thought's on them both? I haven't seen Yeung in action...
Original post by MatCas

Original post by MatCas
Hearing about a possible collapse of the Adam deal, and we are allegedly looking at Celtic's Ki Sung-Yeung. Thought's on them both? I haven't seen Yeung in action...

Tbh, if a bidding war starts on Adam, we should pull out of talks immediately. No need to be paying over the odds to a relegated team.
Reply 969
Stay the **** away from Ki :colonhash:
Original post by mr tim
Liverpool have just won the Mersey Masters.

Hm.. will be an interesting match for Valencia once LFC confirms. Leicester also have a friendly with them - along with Real Madrid...

Will any of these games be on TV on sky or whatever?
Reply 971
Original post by Limesasquatch

Guess we'll find out soon.
Original post by Limesasquatch

The Liverpool v Valencia game will more than likely be on LFCtv, which is free if you have ESPN on SKY I believe
Reply 973
England are out, so that means more time for Hendo to get rest for pre-season I guess. Wickham could also decide his future too after his hols or so.
Mata the best player in the Spain game :awesome:
Reply 975
Also Raheem Sterling scored for the U17s - can see them doing better than the U21s - Raheem was easily MOTM of what I'm hearing.
Reply 976
Original post by Zerforax
Mata the best player in the Spain game :awesome:

So he'll cost more now :colonhash:
Reports suggesting we've agreed a fee and terms with Charles N'Zogbia.
Reply 978
Original post by milan5baros
Reports suggesting we've agreed a fee and terms with Charles N'Zogbia.

It was twitter nonsense....
Reply 979
You're not getting mata lol. If you think you are, you're dreaming as much as the Utd fans who think they're gonna get modric are.

And title challenge? Not a chance in hell. Maybe top4.

Latest