The Student Room Group

AS Unit 2 Philosophy AQA exam tomorrow?

Hey is anyone doing the exam tomorrow? if so what topics are you doing? I'm doing knowledge of the external world and God and the world.
I was reading through the past papers and noticed that they have never asked on the religious hypothesis for God and the world...? does this mean that its likely to come up or less likely ahah?
Oh dear I am so worried, hope you are all feeling ok about it, good luck!
Reply 1
probably more likely to come up. i have the same exam and doing the same topics :/
Reply 2
ja, what cme up in jan
i'm doing the same topics as u luella
Reply 3
i ent even started revising knowledge of the external world yet. bludy buggered!
Reply 4
Original post by b41nzy
i ent even started revising knowledge of the external world yet. bludy buggered!

same, i got physics too in the morning, i havent started ANY revision
last time i did one nights rev for philosophy n got a B (i resat it though) i doubt it's gonna work this time, do u know what came up in january
Reply 5
FML still not started revision.

Doing Free Will and Determinism and The Value of Art.
Reply 6
do you guys use the official aqa book?
i bought it against teachers advice (they give us special dumbed down booklets)...which i now live off for revision haha
but i got the book and it does overcomplicate it and not structure the info properly, it gets a bit confusing
Reply 7
Original post by winning11
i bought it against teachers advice (they give us special dumbed down booklets)...which i now live off for revision haha
but i got the book and it does overcomplicate it and not structure the info properly, it gets a bit confusing

Our teacher gives us booklets on every little topic. I really can't work this way (I'm talking a 4ft tower of booklets for all 4 units...) so I've basically been reading dumbed down revision notes (definitions, X says this, Y says this, positives, negative), and blagging it. Sometimes the exemplar essays on the AQA site are useful. Annoyingly, the essay for The Value of Art on there is only marked 15/30, so there's no point stealing the structure. :p:

Mark schemes are rubbish because they don't develop the points they "expect", so you can't really regurgitate them like other subjects.

I'm usually very against such tactics but when you're facing the difference between your firm and insurance choices, you really don't give a ****. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by AnonyMatt
FML still not started revision.

Doing Free Will and Determinism and The Value of Art.

Gosh, i thought we were the only place doing The Value of Art, i can't find any revision notes online about it and stupidly didn't buy the Michael Lacewing book the teacher recommended...
Sigh, not feeling confident... I'm praying a question on the mind exists therefore we have free will comes up..
Yes. For the third time, I kid you not. Freewill and Determinism and Knowledge of the External World. Need at least a B to be honest. Hopefully the examiners will like my alterated structure now.

:')
Tolerance and The Value of Art :smile:
Time to read my Value of Art notes for the first time. :awesome:

All I know is that I don't like any of the theories.

Free Will and Determinism should be okay though.
Well that was absolute *******s for me. ^_^

I found the Value of Art essays too limiting, and the Free Will and Determinism 30 mark essay too broad.
Reply 13
Did Free Will and Determinism and Value of Art. I hate art and that was my longer essay in the end which surprised me. I thought the paper was pretty fair on the whole, not the usual AQA ambiguity which there normally is with phil. Completely messed up the art 15 maker though. Two arguments for formalism. What did everyone else put?
Reply 14
Im pretty happy with this exam, the questions on free will and determinism and tolerance where pretty straightforward. It helped that both the 15 markers were the same as past papers i've already done :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Yotobari
Did Free Will and Determinism and Value of Art. I hate art and that was my longer essay in the end which surprised me. I thought the paper was pretty fair on the whole, not the usual AQA ambiguity which there normally is with phil. Completely messed up the art 15 maker though. Two arguments for formalism. What did everyone else put?

Hi I did art too :smile: I put that basically every work of art has form- so you can geta comprehensive theory out of it. For the second one I said that it made aesthetic judgments necessary and universal. My philosophy teacher seemed to think they were alright but I might have lost marks by muddling up the wording!
Reply 16
Original post by winning11

I have been using the Michael Lacewing book along with texts that my teacher photocopied for me, its annoying because none of the textbooks are that great, the Lacewing one is the simplest one I have found but it can still be kind of confusing

So how did everyone find the exam?
Reply 17
I did Tolerance and The Value or Art.

The 15 mark Tolerance caught me offguard for some reason, but my teacher said what I wrote was fine.

I think I was a but repetitive on the 30 mark Art question, but that was always going to be my weakest one.

Oh, and we never used a textbook - he just wrote his own booklets for each topic, which I found much better. I've seen textbooks, and they seem terrible...
Original post by Yotobari

I wrote about form being necessary to appreciate the skill of the artist.
Then I think I wrote about form being necessary to really capture what the artist intends to express - shown by the tendency of artists to 'redo' pieces until it is 'just right'.

Didn't like it.

Didn't like my 30 marker either. I didn't get to write about the expressive theories... I covered a lot on informative theories but suddenly came to the end of my essay. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending