The Student Room Group

What is the difference between an A* and an A?

Hello fellow TSR's,

I am predicted 13 A/A*'s for GCSE, I was wondering what the difference was, I have heard that some uni's won't look at an application with less than 6A*s, and I doubt I will get many A*s, could someone satisfy my curiosity?
Reply 1
* <--- This :biggrin:
Reply 2
An Asterisk
Reply 3
A* > a > b > c > d > e > u

EDIT: Capital letters aren't working :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You achieve a criteria of higher level for the star
Reply 5
A* - A = *

Hope that satisfied your fervent curiosity.
An A* is better than an A. It's kinda obvious.

I know for some courses at some places they do have some minimum requirements in A*s (Bristol for medicine is one I should have known about before I wasted an appliaction...), but it's not that common. Of course, having 10 A*s instead of 10 As will give you some form of edge come application time.
One's above approx 85%, the other one is between 75 and 85%. Can't say fairer than that.
Reply 8
Original post by Teaddict
An Asterisk

So close ;D
Reply 9
First, if you are predicted those, then you should know the difference and secondly, predictions mean nothing. I was A* in everything and got now where near close, as were seemingly everybody in my year.

The only unis which use GCSEs are oxford and cambridge. The other unis are more interested in A-levels.

Courses like medicine and dentistry hold GCSEs in high regard for some reason. Essentially, your academic performance as a 15/16 year old guages if you are able to be a doctor or not. It's very stupid but what can we do?
Reply 10
Original post by Fonix
So close ;D

Silence you!

Haha, you beat me too it. At least I gave the name of the punctuation :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by Teaddict
Silence you!

Haha, you beat me too it. At least I gave the name of the punctuation :colondollar:

You win at quality.
I win at speed

:sexface:
The difference is how much you actually care.
Original post by Ras17
The only unis which use GCSEs are oxford and cambridge. The other unis are more interested in A-levels.

lol

edit: I feel I should actually post something of substance.

In short, you're absolutely wrong. Both Ox and Bridge put far less emphasis on GCSEs than unis such as the LSE and UCL, simply because they have more evidence available to them on which to assess each candidate.

The med comment is kinda accurate I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by TimmonaPortella
lol

errm I think you know what I meant :biggrin:
Reply 15
Thank you ladies and gents :3
Its usually 10% higher than an A.

A grade usually = 80% of a paper awnsered correctly
A* grade usually = 90% " "

However this can change for papers in things like science that has lots of modules and grade boundary changes. Also for English coursework I think you needed like 35/40 for an A*?
Reply 17
The difference is that A* students are more consistent and on form for everything to do with that subject whereas A grade students will reach a typical highly respected criteria. An A* is clearly better than an A but in my opinion like most people stated. If you're planning on going to UNI's then don't stress yourself over grades at GCSE's.
Reply 18
Also A*'s tend to get 90 percent and A graders get 80%.

Quick Reply

Latest