The Student Room Group

wiring back shelf 6x9's to head unit?

ive just put in two 6x9's on my the back shelf of my ford. i brought the wires under the carpets to the head unit because the car doesnt have rear speakers to replace.

now what do i do? how do i connect them to the head unit? what type of connects will i need?

the head unit has 2 red female input this and 2 white ones; can i jsut buy some male ones and use these to power the speakers, if so how do i do it? would each speaker need its own negative and posative male things or do i connect both speakers together fist?

or am i better off connecting them to the harness thing, if so how do i do it?

im a complete novice, advise needed!

thanks.
Reply 1
See if you can find a wiring diagram for your head unit.

There should be 8 wires going in to it normally in 2 banks

Permenent live (usually yellow or red)
Live off the accessory switch on the ignition (usually yellow or red)
Electric arial signal wire (often blue)
Earth (probably black)

The other bank will be your speakers

Front left
Front right
Rear left
Rear right

You need to work out which are the two rear right and left wires. You can then splice a connection in - I reccomend soldering them in and wrapping some electrical tape round the connections rather than using scotch locks etc.
You could wire them through one wire only, but you won't be able to controll the left/right balance.

At the speaker end the other wire needs to go to earth - a self tapper somewhere in the boot area will do the job.

HTH.
Reply 2
What car do you have? If it doesn't have rear speakers as stock it may well be that there are only two outputs from the head unit for the front speakers. Pull out your radio and take a picture of the back of it and the wires going to it. I'd have bought decent components for the front doors first as 6x9s in the back are pretty pointless IMO but there you go.
Reply 3
Original post by Nuffles
What car do you have? If it doesn't have rear speakers as stock it may well be that there are only two outputs from the head unit for the front speakers. Pull out your radio and take a picture of the back of it and the wires going to it.

Good shout. Just because there's no rear speakers doesn't mean there's no place to plug them in though, why would they make a head unit with two pins off it specially for some cars? Can't be much cheaper. The tractors only have two speakers but they have a full house of wires. Take a picture of the back and post it. I've just put a new DAB HU in my tractor and I have the wiring diagram handy. ISO plugs should all be the same... (Ha!)
Reply 4
Original post by Minardi
Good shout. Just because there's no rear speakers doesn't mean there's no place to plug them in though, why would they make a head unit with two pins off it specially for some cars? Can't be much cheaper. The tractors only have two speakers but they have a full house of wires. Take a picture of the back and post it. I've just put a new DAB HU in my tractor and I have the wiring diagram handy. ISO plugs should all be the same... (Ha!)

You'd be surprised, but then so would I. I have the wiring diagram for ISO connectors almost memorised now - the amount of head units I've wired into cars :rolleyes: Both the Land Rover and Morris Minor needed wiring from scratch and I've done a few other cars too.
Reply 5
Original post by Nuffles
You'd be surprised, but then so would I. I have the wiring diagram for ISO connectors almost memorised now - the amount of head units I've wired into cars :rolleyes: Both the Land Rover and Morris Minor needed wiring from scratch and I've done a few other cars too.

I'm not that good :tongue:. Made new looms for the two old tractors when I put stereos in them. One's now gone (the one in my Av as it goes!) but the other's still going strong 6 years down the line. This was back in the day when I worked at Argos and could get Panasonic HUs for £20, managers special, without a box. None died one me! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending