The Student Room Group

x=tan(x) help

Post deleted
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
'Fraid not (apart from one obvious solution).
Reply 2
Original post by Tommer
There are some values of cos(x), sin(x) and tan(x) you're just supposed to know, I think.

They don't help you with this (apart from one solution, x=0), so the other solutions have to be found using numerical methods like iteration.
Original post by Tommer
Maybe I'm just being stupid but what other solution is there...?

Draw the graphs of x and tan(x). You'll see that there are infinitely many points of intersection...
Reply 4
Original post by Tommer
Maybe I'm just being stupid but what other solution is there...?

There are infinitely many solutions. If you draw a graph of y=xy=x and a graph of y=tanxy=\tan x on the same axes, then the solutions are all the points at which they intersect (of which there are infinitely many).

You can do some crazy analysis type stuff on the roots though, without calculating them explicitly. For example, if xnx_n denotes the nth positive root, you can prove that as nn \to \infty, xn(2n+1)π2x_n \sim \frac{(2n+1)\pi}{2}.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kirkio
Okay so what I want to know is, is there a way I can algebraically solve this and get exact answers? Rather than say, looking at a graph and/or doing some sort of iterative process?

x=tan(x)

and if there is, could you show me please?

Much thanks in advance.

:colone:

You could find approximate solutions by Taylor series expanding tan(x) to several orders, and solving the corresponding equation. It's only accurate as you introduce more terms in the expansion, though.

I like nuodai's Real Analysis approach :tongue:
Original post by nuodai
There are infinitely many solutions. If you draw a graph of y=xy=x and a graph of y=tanxy=\tan x on the same axes, then the solutions are all the points at which they intersect (of which there are infinitely many).

You can do some crazy analysis type stuff on the roots though, without calculating them explicitly. For example, if xnx_n denotes the nth positive root, you can prove that as nn \to \infty, xn(2n+1)π2x_n \sim \frac{(2n+1)\pi}{2}.

I just read your 'Friday Topology' article and laughed.
Reply 7
is that even possible...x and tanx wud be different numbers...how can they equal each other
Reply 8
Original post by nmudz_009
is that even possible...x and tanx wud be different numbers...how can they equal each other

For example, if x=0 then tan x = 0, so tan x = x. [There]
Reply 9
Original post by nuodai
For example, if x=0 then tan x = 0, so tan x = x. [There]

how wud u find them i imagine u cant use a cast diagram
Reply 10
Original post by nmudz_009
how wud u find them i imagine u cant use a cast diagram

A CAST diagram won't help; to find the other solutions you have to use numerical methods like iteration (which you'll do in C3 or C4 probably). Read the rest of the thread -- I've already said most of this :p:

Quick Reply

Latest