The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogso
Hey man M&S balti pies are quality I do hope the rumours are true and they sponsor us next season so we can get their balti pies down the Villa ... :moon:

I want Acorns to be the shirt sponsor.

My local club Forest Green have vegan owners, and they banned the sale of red meat. Even less reason to go watch that ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 181
Here's the alledged away kit, sponsor free

I'm a bit unsure...maybe because there's no sponsor
Original post by hogso
Here's the alledged away kit, sponsor free

I'm a bit unsure...maybe because there's no sponsor

I like!
It's terrible. And I love it :gah:

The more I see and hear about the managerial search the more amateurish it becomes. It was a disgrace the way McClalren was treated and should have been given the interview even if the board didn't consider him their first choice. It's also laughable that it was a few voices on message boards that removed the possibility of Schteve and yet today's confirmation that the board have sounded out Mcleish means they have opted for the exact opposite strategy they were taking last week. What are they doing up there ffs :facepalm2:
Reply 184
Original post by Colbert

The more I see and hear about the managerial search the more amateurish it becomes. It was a disgrace the way McClalren was treated and should have been given the interview even if the board didn't consider him their first choice. It's also laughable that it was a few voices on message boards that removed the possibility of Schteve and yet today's confirmation that the board have sounded out Mcleish means they have opted for the exact opposite strategy they were taking last week. What are they doing up there ffs :facepalm2:

Spot on. I would welcome Shteve with open arms now, if he were not at Forest. I hope that the supposed injunction/fee Villa will have to pay will put an end to any interest. It's not even that it's cos he was at SHA, I'm totally unconvinced that he's as good as some say, and I'm sure we could do better. If it's not Moyes or Hughes god help us. There's only Ranieri apart from them that's been touted, and I have no idea if a return to England would interest him after the time he's had back in Italy
I've seen a few articles that suggest Coyle could be persuaded but I have little faith that the board will get the right man for the job now. It's a shame that this PR nightmare has undone all Lerner's sterling work in charge of the club in the eyes of the public.
Reply 186
What ever happened to people like Bradley and Bilic that were being touted a year ago? Have they got new jobs or was that all just bull****?
They are probably enjoying their comfortable national team jobs in their respective home countries. From the way this has been handled I don't blame them or anyone of similar standing for not wanting to throw their hat in the ring right now.

Time for the board to give Benitez his £30million warchest and admit he was the best option all along. If Young is leaving for upwards of £15m and I imagine a couple of other players will go, then giving him what he requires surely can't be a massive issue.
I 'liked' the McLeish Facebook group, so that updates the situation pretty quickly. People on there saying SSN reporting we're talking to him over the next 24 hours. Wth is Lerner playing at with this 'listen to the fans one minute, not listen the next'? Plus I believe the hatred for McLeish is a lot greater than for McClaren.
Aston Villa Official Website
This is a message to the fans of Aston Villa.

The Club has been reluctant to elaborate publicly on our search for a new manager and, in particular, to confirm or deny our interest in specific candidates.

This is not a new policy, indeed it is the approach that we have taken both in regard to managerial prospects, and potential player signings.

The Club understands that Alex McLeish is a free agent. We therefore intend to interview him imminently in order to make a decision regarding his candidacy to become Villa manager.

From the beginning of our search, we have set out criteria based on proven Premier League experience, compelling leadership, an ethic for hard work and, most importantly, sharing our vision for Aston Villa as we know that without a shared vision any appointment, however attractive, will ultimately fail.

Since 2006 we have approached our custodianship of Villa based on a broad-based strategy of significant investment to improve the squad, the training ground and Villa Park. We feel it is essential to select a manager who understands and supports our strategy for the Club to grow and to be sustainable. Otherwise, the natural tensions and competitive pressures that are involved with every season will ultimately cause instability and make continuity impossible.

We would, however, like to emphasise that in deciding to interview Alex McLeish, the Board has taken his tenure at our local rivals and the strong emotions associated with this very seriously.

We are determined, still, not to allow that three-and-a-half year post to disqualify him should he be the best candidate for the role of Aston Villa manager.

Absolute *******s.
Reply 191
Birmingham's retaliation for Ridgewell. Secret agent McLeish reporting for duty? :holmes:
Just about to post that. I don't know why McClaren was ruled out then, to be honest. Choosing to interview McLeish but not McClaren is a very strange decision and I think it needs some justification.
So it'll be 4-1-4-1 lumping balls over the top to Gabby next season then :facepalm2:

Inspirational tbf.
Reply 194
There is going to be a lot of backlash if he is appointed. An awful lot. I wouldn't be surprised if next season was Lerner's last as owner.
Will back the manager no matter what, but sadly some won't and it could really cause a schism within the club. Nevertheless, the board have really pissed me off with this. I second what Phalanges said.
Reply 196
Every time I load up this thread I go to read the posts and get completely distracted by Kidioteque's avatar. It's taken me about 5 minutes just to write this.
Reply 197
This is making us sacking Rafa and replacing him with woy look like a masterstroke.

Total cock up.

Most importantly for me, the board should always appoint a man who fits their footballing philosophy. Martinez and McLeish couldn't be further apart so what changed?
Original post by Phalanges
Every time I load up this thread I go to read the posts and get completely distracted by Kidioteque's avatar. It's taken me about 5 minutes just to write this.

Sorry!
Original post by L18
This is making us sacking Rafa and replacing him with woy look like a masterstroke.

Total cock up.

Most importantly for me, the board should always appoint a man who fits their footballing philosophy. Martinez and McLeish couldn't be further apart so what changed?

They both fit the financial philosophy of being thrifty and/or working to a budget so I suppose the board aren't bothered about footballing style. Until the first game of the season when they realise what they've done.

Latest