The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by L18
How solid is the evidence that forums and chat rooms killed the Steve McClaren talk?

There isn't any. In fact The General's post on the McLeish matter (which was quoted in the press yesterday, I shouldve posted it here when it broke online the night before) is on the contrary more than anything

"Richard, you know I am not going to tell you anything. I will say that the uproar over McLeish is absolutely uncalled for….he certainly has proved he can manage in the big leagues…just imagine what he could do if he was with an owner who supported him."
"First off, NO ONE is confirming a rumour…I am just stating a belief. You all cling to the fact that he has seen his lads relegated twice…well, the first time he was not with the Club long enough to make much of a difference. Secondly, …look at the owners he has worked for and their support of him monetarily. Then look at Randy and what he provides to his Managers. Third, look at his record with other Clubs…as a Manager and player. Check with Sir Alex and ask him about the man…you will get an entirely different sense.

All I am saying is that the fact that he managed BCFC should not be the driving factor. Those fans who X the man out because he managed our biggest rival just seem to miss the point. YES, Randy and the Board understand the feelings of the Fans…we are neither deaf nor blind. At the same time, whether it would be this man or any other, we need to do what we think is right for the Club.

NO action is taken without HUGE input from many knowledgeable people. Honest to goodness, if a single man can cause all the fans to abandon ship, that is a sad state of affairs. What you are basically saying is, "Randy, let us pick the Manager…we know more than you, those who are advising you, those who are in the game and know the individuals, those who make a living recommending managers and players, etc. etc" Sorry, that just doesn`t seem right to me.

Again, I am not confirming the rumour…just simply stating my feelings…as a FAN!!!!!!!!"
I'd argue that Mcleish hasn't really proved he can handle the big leagues tbh. He's only been in one big league and got relegated two years out of a possible three.
Reply 222
Yeh, winning with Rangers in the Scottish league doesn't cut it for me either. I'm just going to see how it plays out now, and how he does if/when he is appointed. Can't really be bothered with any more speculation. If 5 games in to the new season we're playing rubbish and aren't winning I'll join the boo boys. Till then I will try give him a chance. Being a bit more removed from Birmingham than others I think it's easier for me to see past the fact he was at SHA, but yeh it's his record that is my concern aswell...
Reply 223
Yeah, I have to say that I get the feeling that using fan opposition might have been an excuse about ending negotiations with McClaren rather than an actual driving factor. In hindsight it must obviously look to them a bit silly, but I think they must have thought it would get the fans feeling valued.
The positives of Mcleish will be that he will surely tighten up one of he leakiest defences in the league. Last season was horrendous for clean sheets in general but we made things look harder than they needed to. If he can sort that mess out then he has better strikers than he did at the Blues so pumping long balls for Gabby and Bent will be a lot more productive than doing it for Cameron Jerome and Nikola Zigic.

I think it's good that it's being done now because I'll be over the disappointment come mid-August and he'll get a fair crack from me anyway. I very much doubt that'll be the case for those closer to the city and the club than me but meh.
Reply 225
Given how fickle most of our fans seem to be these days they'll be calling for his head at the first game, labelling him the messiah by christmas when we're sixth, and then saying we've wasted the season when we end up ninth.
I imagine this old chestnut will be making a reappearance among many similar banners at the first game tbh.

Will be confirmed by 6pm, apparently. I'm happy to get behind him now that he's an inevitability, our energy's better spent working with him than against him.
Mcleish reveals his lineup for the opening day :teehee:

Reply 229
Why Mcleish? He isnt even that great. I mean look at the squad he got relegated with.
Apparently you didn't even talk to McClaren. Top stuff.
Reply 231
Original post by Hoozo
Why Mcleish? He isnt even that great. I mean look at the squad he got relegated with.

big eck has won more trophies than almost all managers in the english game.. and thats not counting when he was at rangers as a manager and at aberdeen as a player.

plus its funny as **** watching villa fans be physically sick. my facebook is going wild and i only have like 3 villa fans on it.
If you take away Rangers and Aberdeen he has won the League Cup and the Scottish second tier :lolwut:

His Rangers achievements are so-so, basically any manager up there has a 50% chance of winning each trophy and he is under that average :colonhash:
Reply 233
Original post by hogso
There isn't any. In fact The General's post on the McLeish matter (which was quoted in the press yesterday, I shouldve posted it here when it broke online the night before) is on the contrary more than anything

'The General' come across as a bit of a gob****e there tbh.
So he's been appointed. Where are the tasteless photos of him holding a Villa scarf on the pitch proclaiming his love for the club?
Reply 235
Lol at that video on the BBC of fans saying they're going to boycott the club. Good luck with that.

Also, how much longer until Ben Foster arrives?
Really hope Foster and Mcleish are on good terms. He should be imminent.

Lots of clubs seem to be after Scott Dann, so I doubt he'd move to us. Not sure if I trust Collins/Dunne any more but I missed the last couple of months of the season so I can't say I've seen too much of them recently :colondollar:
Reply 237
You lot happy with McLeish then?
Reply 238
Original post by Colonel.

Original post by Colonel.
You lot happy with McLeish then?

Not so much happy as prepared to give a chance.
As long as there's no ill feeling with the Birmingham players and the manager in the way that he left, we should be fine to steal a few of their players. I guess it was inevitable people like Foster and Dann would leave anyway, so loyalty shouldn't be an issue.

Latest