The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Jol would be my choice as well. I think it's pretty mad that people seem to think we could stand a chance of getting Ancelotti.
Original post by Phalanges
Jol would be my choice as well. I think it's pretty mad that people seem to think we could stand a chance of getting Ancelotti.

Maybe. But as he has intimated that he would be interested in staying over here and we are the only club with a vacancy i would be disappointed if the board didnt even send his people an invitation. Obviously we will never know as it would undermine the next guy if it turns out we did want carlo first. I wouldnt imagine we would stand much of a chance but we may as well aim for the stars.

Not sure what to make of hughes if we did end up with him. He has done well at smaller clubs but made some terrible signings for city although he still did himself no harm to his reputation there. It would also mean we would have someone to tame stephen ireland who we might just need with all these midfielders leaving :colonhash:
Reply 62
Mark Hughes ranks somewhere in the middle of my preference of the names we've been connected with. I wouldn't be massively excited if he was appointed, but at the same time I think he'd be a pretty safe choice for an average finish.
Reply 63
When i think of Mark Hughes i just think.. boring. I'd probably prefer Maclaren actually, at least he's a bit of a character.
Reply 64
Original post by Joluk

Original post by Joluk
When i think of Mark Hughes i just think.. boring. I'd probably prefer Maclaren actually, at least he's a bit of a character.

I can just imagine him putting on a Brummie accent.
Reply 65
My top 7 picks

1. VILLAs-Boas
2. Moyes
3. Southgate
4. Ancellotti inc. Wilkins
5. MON
6. Heskey player/manager
7. Fatty
Reply 66
Original post by hogso

6. Heskey player/manager

:lol:
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/aston-villa-specials/next-permanent-manager

Hughes as short as 4/11.

I fancy a cheeky bet on Andy Gray at 250/1 :wink:.

Downing 1/3 to go to Liverpool, Young is as short as 1/5 to go to Utd. Why would Utd want him when they wouldn't use him behind Hernandez (that's Rooney's job...) and they have about 5000 wingers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thought i would be waking up now to the news houllier has gone. Not to be :sigh:
Reply 69
OFFICIAL - Au revoir, ma vieille peche :cry2:
:woohoo:

Did we avoid giving him compensation then?
Reply 71
We're in for Ancellotti! Even if he doesn't come, it shows some intent - although there is a rumour abound that Hughes has already left Fulham aswell. Something to do with yesterday being the last day he could walk out on his contract, meaning Villa (or any other club for that matter) wouldnt have to pay any compo...

Ancellotti & Wilkins would be ****ing massive. But if it isn't...if I'm honest anyone else will leave me feeling pretty underwhelmed, maybe except for Deschamps, but I can't see that one happening
Benitez to Villa ? :hmm:
Reply 73
Farewell Gerard. You gave us Darren Bent and have hopefully given our squad some level of fitness now, and for that we should be grateful.
Reply 74
Various news sites carrying the story that we've contacted Fulham and told them we've had no contact with Hughes at all, as Ancellotti's odds continue to drop :h:
I was surprised when the odds of Hughes becoming manager were less than one! I hope Ancelotti gets it, he did alright with Chelsea, coming 2nd in the League.
Original post by LukethePianoMan
I was surprised when the odds of Hughes becoming manager were less than one! I hope Ancelotti gets it, he did alright with Chelsea, coming 2nd in the League.

And doing the double with them last year! I think it would be great on a number of different levels: aside from the fact that he's a downright first-class manager, it would signal intent from the board, it would attract a different calibre of player to the club and I think it'd give us a good chance of holding onto our better players. :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
And doing the double with them last year! I think it would be great on a number of different levels: aside from the fact that he's a downright first-class manager, it would signal intent from the board, it would attract a different calibre of player to the club and I think it'd give us a good chance of holding onto our better players. :smile:

Hmm looks like its gonna be Hughes then. I like your username btw, reference to Radiohead?