The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogso

Bradley looked alright for the USA against Spain the other night. Yeh they lost 4-0, but he looked comfortable on the ball, nice quick passes, composed...complete opposite of anything I saw him do in a Villa shirt. Guess he just isnt cut out for the Prem. Shame.

Well Bradley only played 31 minutes of Premier League football so I kind of wanted him to be given more a chance :tongue:, especially as I didn't expect to get as decent a player as that in January. has the deal been made permanent do you know?
Reply 121
In the US its been reported that he's back with Gladbach, and nothing official has come from Villa in regard to him, so it looks like there hasnt been a deal. Gladbach actually managed to stay up in the Bundesliga, I'm sure they were bottom when Bradley came over to us. I'd take him if he's available for less than £4m, don't think he's worth anymore to us than that
Reply 122
I'm disappointed that Jol has signed for Fulham, I wonder if we ever showed an interest in him and why he chose them over us?

We've got no interest in McClaren (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13704421.stm), so we can add him to the list along with Hughes. If we don't get Benitez we're going to be left with a very small pool to try and find a manager at this rate.
Reply 123
And we may lose Carlos Cuellar. We're in serious danger of there being a mass exodus and just collapsing if we don't get an experienced leader soon.
I am concerned that there is even a suggestion that Lerner is worrying about fan forums. I appreciate that he wants the fans' support but to let them dictate the business in such a way is unheard of.

Unless he comes in here. In which case I welcome it.
Reply 125
Original post by Colbert

Original post by Colbert
Unless he comes in here. In which case I welcome it.

I have a confession to make...
Reply 126
Ha well VT is in meltdown at the minute, it's getting out of hand and I really can't keep up with the amount of posts about the new manager. MM left, then came back, now I don't know. The General still posts though, occasionally

SSN was reporting that we contacted Rafa, then he was out of the running, and now...well I don't really know. He'd be a good appointment given who is already out of the running. Coyle has been touted alot today aswell. I do know that Everton have a friendly at Small Heath arranged...perhaps they're dropping Moyes off on the way :colondollar:
Roberto Martinez :lolwut: What has he done to warrant a job at Villa?
This is why you do not listen to the public. They are ****ing morons. Martinez was an afterthought when i saw his name mentioned initially, never did i think he would actually be a contender over proper managers like schteve or rafa. He should not even be in the same bracket as them but lerner seems to have burned bridges with every other applicant somehow :colonhash:
Original post by Colbert
This is why you do not listen to the public. They are ****ing morons. Martinez was an afterthought when i saw his name mentioned initially, never did i think he would actually be a contender over proper managers like schteve or rafa. He should not even be in the same bracket as them but lerner seems to have burned bridges with every other applicant somehow :colonhash:

Completely agree. I don't think he's done anything to deserve it. Martinez is at 11/10 for the job so it appears it's only talks thus far (which McClaren was refused, I'd have much preferred him to Martinez). If Martinez comes in, I can't see the players who are undecided about their future at Villa actually staying. I'd like to see N'Zogbia though; although according to Wikipedia, he's not at Wigan...

"Charles N'Zogbia (born 28 May 1986) is a French footballer who plays for Welling United in the Premier League."

It seems like every decision that Villa make is overcomplicated and will inevitably be wrong.
Aston Villa club statement

The Club is conscious of the keen interest in developments over the appointment of our new manager.

When the process has reached an appropriate point we can assure our fans that we will be clear and forthright.

We are focused right now on trying to secure the best candidate who will complement the Club's commitment to being true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base.

We will update fans again when the process is more advanced.

Wigan owner Dave Whelan on Roberto Martinez talks with Villa: "I would be very surprised if he is Aston Villa's new manager."
Reply 131
There's alot of money going on Martinez now. If the stumbling block with Rafa was really that he asked for £30m for transfers, considering we're going to get at least £15m for Webcam, theres a serious problem. Rafa wouldve been fine, I wouldve preferred Ancelotti or Moyes but still - completely underwhelmed by the talk of Martinez and Coyle.

If we have a repeat of last season after what ever appointment is made, I can see Randy selling up next summer
Original post by hogso
There's alot of money going on Martinez now. If the stumbling block with Rafa was really that he asked for £30m for transfers, considering we're going to get at least £15m for Webcam, theres a serious problem. Rafa wouldve been fine, I wouldve preferred Ancelotti or Moyes but still - completely underwhelmed by the talk of Martinez and Coyle.

If we have a repeat of last season after what ever appointment is made, I can see Randy selling up next summer

The MON leaving situation was a joke. I don't see how it could possibly get any worse. At least whoever comes in will have the summer to do whatever they want. Just so long as we don't sign a manager with a history of serious illness, well be fine...

The statement posted above just sounds like *******s as well. Just stating the obvious.

It's slightly annoying that we'd only get £15m for Young. We don't have a lot going for us at the moment, and all I can think of that'd save things is to get in a decent and experienced manager to talk the players around. The only problem is that these players (Downing, Young) have no chance of playing Champions League football for a few years if they stay.
Original post by little_wizard123
The MON leaving situation was a joke. I don't see how it could possibly get any worse. At least whoever comes in will have the summer to do whatever they want. Just so long as we don't sign a manager with a history of serious illness, well be fine...

The statement posted above just sounds like *******s as well. Just stating the obvious.

It's slightly annoying that we'd only get £15m for Young. We don't have a lot going for us at the moment, and all I can think of that'd save things is to get in a decent and experienced manager to talk the players around. The only problem is that these players (Downing, Young) have no chance of playing Champions League football for a few years if they stay.

Don't shoot the messenger :angry:
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Don't shoot the messenger :angry:

Haha, I didn't mean you :tongue:. I meant whoever wrote the statement! I almost wish the board didn't listen to the fans in the case of the new manager. I might even venture onto the Villa forums and have a moan.
Reply 135
Original post by hogso

Why do you want moyes, who has won the grand sum of **** all, over a european cup winning manager?

Can't get my head round this.
My preference would have been Ancelotti (obviously) but of the realistic names my list in order would be:

Benitez
Moyes
Jol
Coyle
McClaren
Hughes
O'Leary
Gray/Keys
Martinez
Rijkaard

I like the fact that Benitez's reputation is damaged and if he ****s up then we can all happily blame him and chant him out. He'd also set the club up well for the future imo. Moyes overachieves significantly every single year and deserves a place at a massive top 6 club like Villa now tbf :holmes:
Reply 137
Original post by Colbert

I like the fact that Benitez's reputation is damaged and if he ****s up then we can all happily blame him and chant him out. He'd also set the club up well for the future imo. Moyes overachieves significantly every single year and deserves a place at a massive top 6 club like Villa now tbf :holmes:

Everton -> Aston Villa would be a side step for Moyes, no?

I don't think Lerner feels he can take you guys to the 'next level,' IMO, and is more than happy to keep Villa as a perennial finisher in the 6-10 positions. Presumably he'll want someone to work to a tight budget, play attractive football, blood young players into the team, and not kick up a fuss when the best players are sold on to the bigger clubs.

Martinez fits the bill, which is why I can see him being appointed.
Original post by scriggy
Everton -> Aston Villa would be a side step for Moyes, no?

I don't think Lerner feels he can take you guys to the 'next level,' IMO, and is more than happy to keep Villa as a perennial finisher in the 6-10 positions. Presumably he'll want someone to work to a tight budget, play attractive football, blood young players into the team, and not kick up a fuss when the best players are sold on to the bigger clubs.

Martinez fits the bill, which is why I can see him being appointed.

You make valid points and speak sense, which is why I am now having to create thousands of dupe accounts to spread vicious lies and hate against Martinez across every fan forum in existence :colonhash:

Hopefully Randy will see at least a few of them :mmm:
Reply 139
I really don't know what to make of Martinez, he's inexperienced and untested but i wouldn't say he was a 'bad' manager. We'll just have to wait and see i guess.

Latest