The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
That's probably more likely yeah, but I guess it depends how he's received, how he plays in any friendlies, and also whether any of our current players step up and show that they can be captain. So far in friendlies we've had Bent, Delph and Bannan as captain, but it's far from clear who Lambert will go with permanently!

He's captained Feyenoord and was seen as a "figurehead and true leader", so despite only just signing i'd say he's more likely than a fair few of our current players, even if a less likely than some others.

Bent would be a good shout maybe, Gabby just due to the length of time he's been here, Dunne, although it's hard to say when we don't really know what kind of part Dunne will play under Lambert, it seems more likely he'll stay though over Collins. Given Maybe, although he's a little less likely than an outfield player I think. I reckon these would be the only possible candidates that'd be above Vlaar to be honest!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1941
Clark is my man although I know it's not going to happen. In Ciaren we trust.
I think you'll struggle again this season
Reply 1943
Original post by Aust1n
Clark is my man although I know it's not going to happen. In Ciaren we trust.

Clark would be good! One of my favourite current players, I hope to see him starting alongside Vlaar!
Original post by hot hot
I think you'll struggle again this season

You have wisdom beyond your years, like a young Septic Peg :holmes:
Original post by Colbert
You have wisdom beyond your years, like a young Septic Peg :holmes:

You shouldn't have let O'Neill go
Original post by hot hot
You shouldn't have let O'Neill go

:lol:
what he was the best thing to happen to your club who got the best out of average players, who you got now? no one
Original post by hot hot
what he was the best thing to happen to your club who got the best out of average players, who you got now? no one

For a start, we didn't let O'Neill go, he resigned due to our tight owner not giving O'Neill the transfer funds that he requested to jump to the next step as a football club as our owner didn't believe that we could reach the next step with that money and felt it would be a waste.
Now we have a manager who was tutored by O'Neill and carries the same characteristics. He has shown this by taking Norwich from League 1 to the Premier League in 2 years with arguably average players for League 1 and the Championship. With largely the same squad as they had last season in the Championship and league 1, Lambert has got the best out of average players. Proving that he isn't a nobody and he can get the best out of players from lower levels. Grant Holt, before he was a League 2 player, not necessarily getting anywhere in his career. Lambert took him on at Norwich and look at him now, he scored a lot of goals last season for an ex-league 2 regular in the Premier League, a league with much better defences than league 2.
We now have a manager with the potential to better O'Neill, he isn't a nobody.
Original post by boumavilla
For a start, we didn't let O'Neill go, he resigned due to our tight owner not giving O'Neill the transfer funds that he requested to jump to the next step as a football club as our owner didn't believe that we could reach the next step with that money and felt it would be a waste.
Now we have a manager who was tutored by O'Neill and carries the same characteristics. He has shown this by taking Norwich from League 1 to the Premier League in 2 years with arguably average players for League 1 and the Championship. With largely the same squad as they had last season in the Championship and league 1, Lambert has got the best out of average players. Proving that he isn't a nobody and he can get the best out of players from lower levels. Grant Holt, before he was a League 2 player, not necessarily getting anywhere in his career. Lambert took him on at Norwich and look at him now, he scored a lot of goals last season for an ex-league 2 regular in the Premier League, a league with much better defences than league 2.
We now have a manager with the potential to better O'Neill, he isn't a nobody.

I highly doubt he'll take you much higher than McLeish
Reply 1950
Original post by boumavilla
we didn't let O'Neill go, he resigned due to our tight owner not giving O'Neill the transfer funds that he requested to jump to the next step as a football club as our owner didn't believe that we could reach the next step with that money and felt it would be a waste.

I'm glad he wasn't given anymore, he wasted so much money, and the wages he gave his crap signings was ridiculous, especially when he didn't even use half of them! Our stupidly high wage bill and our average team was all his fault and the last couple of years have been tough because of it.

I'm guessing you aren't a Lerner fan from your comment? haha. Personally I like the guy. He's always made cash available for players, over £100million to O'Neill in just a few seasons! which he spent on rubbish like Davis, Harewood, Beye etc. only to leave them rotting on the bench with their stupidly high wages!
They did totally screw up with the Mcleish appointment, but they were quick to sort it at the end of the season which they deserve credit for, so for now i'm happy with Lerner and the board.

There's no way i'd take O'Neill back given the chance!
Reply 1951
Original post by Cll_ws
Clark would be good! One of my favourite current players, I hope to see him starting alongside Vlaar!

He's my man crush 100%. Hair like Scott Parkers and a great playing style, what isn't there to like?!
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm glad he wasn't given anymore, he wasted so much money, and the wages he gave his crap signings was ridiculous, especially when he didn't even use half of them! Our stupidly high wage bill and our average team was all his fault and the last couple of years have been tough because of it.

I'm guessing you aren't a Lerner fan from your comment? haha. Personally I like the guy. He's always made cash available for players, over £100million to O'Neill in just a few seasons! which he spent on rubbish like Davis, Harewood, Beye etc. only to leave them rotting on the bench with their stupidly high wages!
They did totally screw up with the Mcleish appointment, but they were quick to sort it at the end of the season which they deserve credit for, so for now i'm happy with Lerner and the board.

he got you three 6th places and a cup final
Original post by hot hot
he got you three 6th places and a cup final

But if everything you do as a manager is against sustainment for the future, then what's the point?
The fact that trolls are seeping through the cracks back into this thread suggests Lambert is expected to achieve great things. Perhaps even tommyboyjw will make an appearance if we hit such heights :sogood:

An article I've just read about Vlaar being a beast at heading mentioned we didn't score a single goal from a set piece last season. How is that even possible :facepalm2:
Reply 1955
Original post by hot hot
I highly doubt he'll take you much higher than McLeish

Based on what, exactly? He took Norwich higher than McLeish did Villa. :holmes:
Original post by Cll_ws

He did waste money, yes. But he still did very well with the players he had.
I just think that Lerner doesn't know anything about football personally. He got the idea of Lambert from us on the last day when our fans were all singing his name in the stands! :tongue:
I'm still quite confident in Lerner. Obviously an oil baron could come in and it would all be lovely but as it is we have done very well to get him and keep him.

Interesting that he is about to sell off most of his stake in the Cleveland Browns. Does that means he spends more time with us or does he find a new plaything? :beard:
Original post by Abiraleft
Based on what, exactly? He took Norwich higher than McLeish did Villa. :holmes:

O'Neil got Villa nearer to Champions League and trophies than any other manager this last decade
Collins having a medical at West Ham. Quite liked him and Dunne but he looked a bit rusty last season imo, is Vlaar a done deal now?

Latest