The Student Room Group

Why do so many Irish girls have jet-black curly hair with piercing blue eyes?

Ireland has to be the only place in the world where this 'look' (think of old pictures of Elizabeth Taylor or Joan Collins) predominates all others. Why is this?

The only other place where this seems to be so common is in Liverpool, and they're mostly all of Irish decent up there anyway.

The 'look' I'm describing is:

-Jet-black or very dark brown hair
-The hair is usually naturally full, big and curly
-The facial features are chisled and fine boned
-The eyes are piercing blue, large, clear and stunningly beautiful
-The eyebrows are full or thick
-Skin tones vary from porcelain white to olive. It doesn't seem to be universal, but the other features are.

What's with this unique look? Where does this look originally come from and why isn't it so prevelant in other Northern European countries?

Scroll to see replies

:coma: Suddenly I want to go to Ireland.
Reply 2
Where are the gingers?
Reply 3
Genetics......... and not everyone looks like this from Ireland.
I haven't noticed this common look in Ireland. Especially the jet black hair part. Most of the Irish girls I've seen have light brown hair. What part of Ireland are you looking in?
Reply 5
They are all banshees and sirens come for your mortal seed. Flee!
Original post by Aozora
Where are the gingers?

Scotland.
Original post by HonestBob
Ireland has to be the only place in the world where this 'look' (think of old pictures of Elizabeth Taylor or Joan Collins) predominates all others. Why is this?

The only other place where this seems to be so common is in Liverpool, and they're mostly all of Irish decent up there anyway.

The 'look' I'm describing is:

-Jet-black or very dark brown hair
-The hair is usually naturally full, big and curly
-The facial features are chisled and fine boned
-The eyes are piercing blue, large, clear and stunningly beautiful
-The eyebrows are full or thick
-Skin tones vary from porcelain white to olive. It doesn't seem to be universal, but the other features are.

What's with this unique look? Where does this look originally come from and why isn't it so prevelant in other Northern European countries?

You just described my mum perfectly :P
My guess is from Spain, because spanish ladies have really hairy legs too :P
(Joke! please, don't kill me!)
Reply 8
Irish...Accent...:coma:
Reply 9
Original post by stroppyninja
Scotland.

Think of the leprechauns!!!
Reply 10

Because they are retarded Irish! Duh!
something in the water
Reply 12
This look was everywhere, but I must admit, it was especially noticable around Wicklow and Wexford. It also was quite common in the North West in places like Mayo, Sligo and Donegal

Original post by Nightstar-27
I haven't noticed this common look in Ireland. Especially the jet black hair part. Most of the Irish girls I've seen have light brown hair. What part of Ireland are you looking in?
Original post by Athena21
Irish...Accent...:coma:

:sexface:

Original post by pirzada
Because they are retarded Irish! Duh!

Yeah, they have black hair cause they're retarded :rolleyes:
Reply 14
I'm just going to come here and say how much I love Irish men and their accents. :coma:

Ok, I'll leave now. :colonhash:
Reply 15
Technically speaking, I believe Iread a study somewhere that said the English and the Norwegians have the highest percentage of gingers. The gene marker for red hair, for instance, is quite common amongst the oldline aristocratic bluestocking families of England. They believe this is due to the high precentage of Norman (French speaking Vikings) blood in their ancestry. Prince Harry is a good example. The redhair comes from his mother's family, the Spencers, an old line upper-class family of noble blood.

Original post by Aozora
Where are the gingers?
Not all do, but I don't know where it comes from.. must be in the family genes.
Reply 17
Technically speaking, I believe Iread a study somewhere that said the English and the Norwegians have the highest percentage of gingers. The gene marker for red hair, for instance, is quite common amongst the oldline aristocratic bluestocking families of England. They believe this is due to the high precentage of Norman (French speaking Vikings) blood in their ancestry. Prince Harry is a good example. The redhair comes from his mother's family, the Spencers, an old line upper-class family of noble blood.

Actually, Scotland have the highest percentage with 13% and with 40% of scottish people carrying the "ginger" gene recessively.
I have an Irish friend like that, only her hair is straight as a poker instead of curly, but you know. Same with her little sisters, cutest little things I have ever seen.
This look was everywhere, but I must admit, it was especially noticable around Wicklow and Wexford. It also was quite common in the North West in places like Mayo, Sligo and Donegal

Ah, I'm usually in the East so maybe that's why I haven't noticed this.

Edit: What is wrong with me mostly being around the eastern areas of Ireland, please tell.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest