The Student Room Group

Anyone had their hair permanently straightened?

Naturally I have thick curly hair. I straighten it now and again but it just takes too long so I'm thinking about getting it chemically straightened.

I had the Brazilian blow-dry about a year and a half ago but was really disappointed with the results, even though I know it's better for your hair than getting it straightened.

So has anyone had their hair permanently straightened and would you recommend it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awnyeah
Naturally I have thick curly hair. I straighten it now and again but it just takes too long so I'm thinking about getting it chemically straightened.

I had the Brazilian blow-dry about a year and a half ago but was really disappointed with the results, even though I know it's better for your hair than getting it straightened.

So has anyone had their hair permanently straightened and would you recommend it?

Sorry I haven't had it done but I was wondering what the Brazilian blow dry was like as you said you were disappointed and I was thinking of getting it done? I want it done to improve the condition though and make it less frizzy, rather than for straightening it. Would you reccomend it for that?

Also I've heard the permanent straightening is really bad for your hair and will damage it a lot, and also the regrowth will be curly if you have curly hair so it'll look odd :/
Original post by Awnyeah

The brazillian blow dry isn't better for you though! It's active ingredient isn't the keratin but a type of formaldehyde, which is a very nasty substance it can damage your lungs, eyes, throat and has an associated cancer risk! x
Reply 3
It damages the hair quite a bit, so be prepared to spend a bit on conditioners etc. The best thing to do is to go to a saloon as without seeing your hair it's diffcult say what would be best.
Yeeeees, although it was relaxed so it might be slightly different to what you mean.
It's not really good for the hair at all, and it's expensive to keep up.

It's odd, I've spent so much time trying to hide my natural hair, but I'm going to be really happy next month when I have it curly again. It's so different, embrace your curliness. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Awnyeah

Skip the Brazillian blow-dry and go for the Keratin Complex treatment by Coppola. It's a bit pricey but cheaper if you buy it off ebay (which I did, after finding somebody who was selling it legitimately) and doing it at home, or taking it to a hairdresser.

It doesn't have formaldehyde and if you use it with the brand shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner you shouldn't feel a difference in your hair. After using it my hair was a lot smoother and was starting to unkink.

Although I must say that don't expect pin-straight hair without curls, it smooths and softens your hair and makes it more manageable but it won't be dead straight. It also improves in straight-ness the more you use it. :smile:
Reply 6
I had it done a long time ago. At the time it was awesome.
My hair was totally straight but it didnt last after i washed it a few times.
I didnt really experience any bad damage but just ensure you condition really well.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by loveyouforaday
Sorry I haven't had it done but I was wondering what the Brazilian blow dry was like as you said you were disappointed and I was thinking of getting it done? I want it done to improve the condition though and make it less frizzy, rather than for straightening it. Would you reccomend it for that?

Also I've heard the permanent straightening is really bad for your hair and will damage it a lot, and also the regrowth will be curly if you have curly hair so it'll look odd :/

The Brazilian blow dry is good if you just want your hair to be less frizzy, so I would recommend it for that. I was just disappointed that my hair was still so curly. But if that's what you're looking for then go for it! :smile:
Reply 8
I know people that got it done and said that it ruined their hair. Embrace your natural hair. I'd kill for curly hair. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xfirekittyx
The brazillian blow dry isn't better for you though! It's active ingredient isn't the keratin but a type of formaldehyde, which is a very nasty substance it can damage your lungs, eyes, throat and has an associated cancer risk! x

Oh god... Well healthy at the moment. Never heard that before! :s-smilie:

Original post by Colour Me Pretty
It's odd, I've spent so much time trying to hide my natural hair, but I'm going to be really happy next month when I have it curly again. It's so different, embrace your curliness. :biggrin:

Yeah some days I'm like "Ah, it's not so bad!" and I do always have random people complimenting it (Although they are usually 70-year-old women!). But then I just love how soft and sleek straight hair feels - the grass is always greener!

Original post by La Môme
Skip the Brazillian blow-dry and go for the Keratin Complex treatment by Coppola. It's a bit pricey but cheaper if you buy it off ebay (which I did, after finding somebody who was selling it legitimately) and doing it at home, or taking it to a hairdresser.

It doesn't have formaldehyde and if you use it with the brand shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner you shouldn't feel a difference in your hair. After using it my hair was a lot smoother and was starting to unkink.

Although I must say that don't expect pin-straight hair without curls, it smooths and softens your hair and makes it more manageable but it won't be dead straight. It also improves in straight-ness the more you use it. :smile:

That sounds good actually, thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Perhaps you could try relaxer?
I relax my hair about every 4 or 5 months, you can buy it from the 'ethnic hair' section of Boots
I also have very thick curly hair (sometimes being Italian is a struggle :P) and relaxer makes it straight. Its usually used by black people to turn an afro into straight hair - so for you it should work a treat
Original post by Awnyeah

I had it done and the ends of my hair is still straight( its grown alot since) after like over 2 years.I have split ends now though but I dont know if thats related to the perm or wether I just started noticing it now. I'd definately recommend it if you're the sort of person that straigtens hair regularly. My hair looks straightened everytime I brush it,It'll grow out before it goes away :smile:I don't really bother with my hair but my mum is obsessed with it, hence the perm.
Reply 12
Original post by Rossical
Perhaps you could try relaxer?
I relax my hair about every 4 or 5 months, you can buy it from the 'ethnic hair' section of Boots
I also have very thick curly hair (sometimes being Italian is a struggle :P) and relaxer makes it straight. Its usually used by black people to turn an afro into straight hair - so for you it should work a treat

Yeah I've heard of that alright, I was just afraid of it because I heard that if it touches your scalp it can burn it or something?! :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by Awnyeah
Yeah I've heard of that alright, I was just afraid of it because I heard that if it touches your scalp it can burn it or something?! :s-smilie:

No burning for me. It just like hair dye...they always say it can burn but rarely burns anyone, just best to avoid getting a blob of it on your skin. With relaxer is actually really important to go right down to your scalp :smile:

Plus with relaxer you only leave it on for 10-15 minutes, it's a really quick process :smile:
Original post by Awnyeah
Oh god... Well healthy at the moment. Never heard that before! :s-smilie:

Yeah some days I'm like "Ah, it's not so bad!" and I do always have random people complimenting it (Although they are usually 70-year-old women!). But then I just love how soft and sleek straight hair feels - the grass is always greener!

That sounds good actually, thanks! :smile:

IWell this is a quote from wikepedia: 'Class action lawsuits against Brazilian Blowout

Multiple class action lawsuits have been filed against Brazilian Blowout seeking punitive damages for negligent advertising and distributing products with unsafe ingredients.[12]'
There's loads on the internet if you google it. With what La Mome sugged I'd be worried about any straightening treatment that says 'keratin' as the keratin does nought to straighten; it's what the brazillian blowdry markets it's product as too.
Straight hair does feel silkier and looks more polished and I prefer it; however I agree the grass is always greener - I always get complimented when I wear my hair naturally curly! I'd be intrested to know if anyone's had the Japenese Yuko
straightening and how it was?
I have had the Japanese Yuko strightening. I had very curly, frizzy hair and had always wanted straight hair. I had this process done and it cost me a few hundred pounds. It took about 3 and a half hours to do my hair. It was AMAZING! My hair wasn't poker straight afterwards due to how strong it was and it resisted a little bit...but overall it was VERY straight compared to wha it iwas, it just had a couple of flicks here and thre. It grows out at the rate your hair grows, so I have about 5 inches of regrowth now. I'd definitelyrecommend it, unless you have bleached hair: this ca be too damaged to use the product on.
Original post by Awnyeah

I don't think it's such a good idea :s-smilie: Apparently it damages your hair badly, so it's probably better just to pick up some tips on straightening from the internet/your hairdresser, and use smoothing serums etc. Or you could try taming your curls a bit to make them softer :smile:
Original post by Awnyeah

Hey, just wondering if you ever went ahead and had this done?! And if so, what were the results?

Mine is also thick and curly and very prone to frizz! It's not that I dislike curly hair at all, in fact on other people I love it and usually prefer it to straight, it's just that mine is difficult to manage. I prefer the way it feels when it's straightened. It's so silky, soft and swishy!

I too had a Brazilian blowdry and wasn't that impressed - it wasn't really any different and was so bloody overpriced even with a discount!
Thick curly hair is beautiful! I have thick curly hair and I love mine.
I used to relax my hair but then I transitioned to my natural hair and it's amazing...PLEASE leave heat/chemicals alone it will damage your hair.
Original post by loveleest
Thick curly hair is beautiful! I have thick curly hair and I love mine.
I used to relax my hair but then I transitioned to my natural hair and it's amazing...PLEASE leave heat/chemicals alone it will damage your hair.

Some people don't have a choice. My hair is extremely short ( 1 inch tall natural), not a lot I can do with it without relaxing it. I however am worried about the safety

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending