The Student Room Group

Should I 'persuade' my son to take AS Maths?

My son is currently sitting his GCSEs and has chosen his A Levels, being, French, Economics, Business studies and PE.

He is unsure what he wants to do in the future but knows he wants to go to University (unsure of which course but will be business related).

As he has chosen 2 'soft' subjects I would prefer he reconsiders to give himself a wider choice of course at Uni and also to give him the best chance against other applicants.

I will never force him into doing something he doesn't want to do, I can only give him the benefit of my thoughts.

His predictions for GCSE Maths is an A and his maths teacher thinks he would do well at A level as he has a good work ethic.

Should I be trying to persuade him, or leave him to his decisions, which may (or may not) hold him back in the future?

Thoughts please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

if he doesnt really have an interest in it then i would say no, due to the fact at A level maths is stupidly hard. the interest usually the only determination everyone has when it gets they tend to fall when thy arent
Only if he enjoys maths - if he doesn't like it, then he will have a rubbish two years because A level is a lot harder than GCSE so needs a lot more time, and this will be harder if he hates it...
If he does like it, maybe say that you think he should do it, but don't push him into it, its his decision ultimately :smile:
personally i'd leave him to decide by himself. i think it's important to do subjects you enjoy.
although that said you'll probably get a load of people saying yes, he should do maths.
maybe mention it to him as in 'have you thought about maths?' but not in a controlling way.
For any business course it is likely that he will need maths. It's also an extremely useful subject to have studied when applying for jobs and internships.

I suggest you look at university prospectuses with him and find out exactly which subjects he'll need.
I got high Bs for Biology and the other sciences at GCSE and took it at A Level - I received consistent Es and Us. A Level is a big jump. He might not necessarily do as well as you think, besides, it's his life. The best thing you can do is make sure he does at least three. Doesn't matter what they are, tbh, unless he's/you're aiming for Oxbridge.

*Pay close attention to the underlines, italicised and bold word... have a think...
Just because someone gets an A for GCSE Maths, that does not necessarily mean they have a natural aptitude for the subject. Also, does he enjoy Maths? If he doesn't, then A level will be hell..:smile:
Reply 7
It really depends on the type of course he's likely to want to take at university. I know it may seem early to start thinking about that now, but it's certainly worth having some idea. There's no need to study a so-called 'harder' subject, like maths, if he's not likely to need it to go to University. It's a tough question, but would you value say, an A grade in Buisness over a C grade in maths? and perhaps more to the point, will Universities?

Ultimately, you've got to be doing subjects you enjoy, because that way you'll get the most out of them. That said, maths is highly respected by Universities, a degree in it shows intelligence and understanding. I can't give you a conclusive answer, but do make sure you're not forcing him into anything he doesn't want to do.

Lastly, if he's predicted an A at GCSE in Maths, then perhaps it is worth persuading him to change.. after all, it'd be a waste of potential to give it up now.
Reply 8
Original post by SummerAnthems
For any business course it is likely that he will need maths. It's also an extremely useful subject to have studied when applying for jobs and internships.

I suggest you look at university prospectuses with him and find out exactly which subjects he'll need.

This is good advice. What does he want to do in the future and which course might he be looking at? A Level admissions criteria are a good place to start looking for which A Levels to pick.
Reply 9
If he's predicted an A at GCSE, he shouldn't have many problems in A level maths. But if he dislikes maths, he might not do well in it. Ask him if he likes maths, if he says 'it's ok' or 'yes' then he should be able to do well in it. Furthermore, taking economics AND business studies isn't the greatest of ideas, as they may overlap, so if he were to take maths he should replace business studies with it (economics is more respected). Overall, if he's going to get a good grade at GCSE, his teacher thinks he will put the work in next year, and he himself somewhat likes maths, he should do it
Reply 10
Original post by Greensleeves
Should I be trying to persuade him, or leave him to his decisions, which may (or may not) hold him back in the future?

If he isn't keen on it, he won't do as well as he would do taking something else. A-levels are a big step you, you have to enjoy what you're doing. Also, you should remember that it's his life, and you should allow him to make his own choices. He's the one who'll be sitting in the classes, and taking the exams.
Reply 11
Original post by SummerAnthems

I understand that he will need maths to do most business related courses. He is 15 and hasn't really thought past his GCSEs. How can I explain the importance of the decisions he is making now without it sounding like I am trying to change his mind?
Yes!
From experiences with both myself and my friends, you have to really WANT to do a subject at A Level in order to do well in it. If you don't want to, your heart won't be in it, as I found out with A Level music. I was good at it, but didn't get as good a grade as I might have been able to simply because there was no passion there as I felt as though I'd been forced into it by my Mum (who thought that I should have a career in music because I can play a fair few instruments).
Reply 14
Original post by hatemylife
I got high Bs for Biology and the other sciences at GCSE and took it at A Level - I received consistent Es and Us. A Level is a big jump. He might not necessarily do as well as you think, besides, it's his life. The best thing you can do is make sure he does at least three. Doesn't matter what they are, tbh, unless he's/you're aiming for Oxbridge.

*Pay close attention to the underlines, italicised and bold word... have a think...

Neither he nor I have any aspirations for Oxbridge.
Reply 15
I personally take A-level maths and trust me it's a really big jump from GCSE. If he enjoy's maths as a overall then go for it, but if not, it wouldn't be the wisest move. I got an A* in GCSE but find it really hard at A-level. Let him make his own choice.
I understand that he will need maths to do most business related courses. He is 15 and hasn't really thought past his GCSEs. How can I explain the importance of the decisions he is making now without it sounding like I am trying to change his mind?

To be honest, you might have to come across as trying to change his mind. If business is what he wants to do, you're going to have to show him that in order to do that, he'll need maths. Yes it'll be hard and he may not enjoy it but it'll be worth it in the end when he gets a rewarding, high paying career, no?

Ultimately it is up to him, its his life but I'm sure he'll listen to you.
My son is currently sitting his GCSEs and has chosen his A Levels, being, French, Economics, Business studies and PE.

He is unsure what he wants to do in the future but knows he wants to go to University (unsure of which course but will be business related).

As he has chosen 2 'soft' subjects I would prefer he reconsiders to give himself a wider choice of course at Uni and also to give him the best chance against other applicants.

I will never force him into doing something he doesn't want to do, I can only give him the benefit of my thoughts.

His predictions for GCSE Maths is an A and his maths teacher thinks he would do well at A level as he has a good work ethic.

Hm. I notice he has taken economics; would that be a subject he may wish to pursue at university? Because he will find it very difficult to get a place on an economics course at any 'respectable' (inverted commas to avoid offence to anyone - you know what I mean) university without maths at A level; the higher placed unis, in fact, usually expect applicants to have taken further maths.

Maths is a very good subject to take for someone who doesn't know what he wants to take at university; and you're right that business studies and PE aren't the most respected subjects. So, yes, since his teachers have said he has potential to do well, I would in your position advise him to take up AS maths.

If AS maths is intended to replace one of his current subjects I would advise you advise him to replace business studies. In fact, I would advise regardless that he drops business studies; it is generally seen as economics "lite", and him having it alongside economics, noting that there is some overlap, is not ideal. Neither have I seen a business degree that requires applicants to have taken business studies at A level; though of course, since I'm not taking a business degree, I may be wrong on that, and anyone here may feel free to correct me.

Hope some of this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18

You may want to remind him that it is verging on pointless doing economics at a level without doing maths. Maths is a tough a level, but it is therefore highly respected (possibly the subject that's required for the greatest amount of university courses?). However, as I said before, taking economics A level suggests he is interested in continuing with it, but all top universities require maths (they don't even ask for economics) in order to read economics.
Don't push him to do it, as at the end of the day it is his choice, but you may want to remind him of that.
Additionally, top universities will not be happy with him doing both economics and business studies due to the high overlap in the syllabus. Some universities go as far as saying they will not accept it.
French is a good A level to study as all universities like languages, as do employers in later life.
But yeah.. PE isn't exactly the most respected A level ever....
Reply 19
in my opinion business, economics and PE are all 'soft subjects' which universities will not appreciate at all as much as they would appreciate maths! however if you were to pursuade him to take it you will need to prepare to help him through it and even get a tutor because it is a massive step up from gcse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending