The Student Room Group

Should I 'persuade' my son to take AS Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If he's not getting an A* at GCSE, then I would not recommend it. There is a fair leap between GCSE and AS and then a missive one from AS to A2 in maths.
Reply 41
Original post by L.Knowles
in my opinion business, economics and PE are all 'soft subjects' which universities will not appreciate at all as much as they would appreciate maths! however if you were to pursuade him to take it you will need to prepare to help him through it and even get a tutor because it is a massive step up from gcse

Reply 42
Original post by georgeflynn
1. don't do economics and business, just do one of them (economics)
2. also, if you are serious about doing economics as a career, you need maths with it, otherwise it's pointless
3. what is up with PE? seriously? what is the point in doing 6th form?
4. french is fine.

if i were you, i'd do: French, Maths, Economics and then one more probably history.

seriously though, PE? Oh dear.

Thanks for your input but remember it's not me it's my son. If it was me I would be taking Maths but it's my son :wink:

I agree with history and he wanted to take this also but unfortunately it clashed with economics in the option pool. He can change either PE or Business Studies to Maths, as Maths is in both pools.

Totally agree with PE, we were told it was classed as a science at University and only researching it further have I realised that this is not the case. I have tried to explain this to my son, but stress of exams, hormones etc means he currently doesn't want to discuss.

The bottom line is should I be interfering or leaving him to choose (bearing in mind that he may turn round in 2 years and tell me I should have guided him better)
Original post by Greensleeves
Thanks for your input but remember it's not me it's my son. If it was me I would be taking Maths but it's my son :wink:

I agree with history and he wanted to take this also but unfortunately it clashed with economics in the option pool. He can change either PE or Business Studies to Maths, as Maths is in both pools.

Totally agree with PE, we were told it was classed as a science at University and only researching it further have I realised that this is not the case. I have tried to explain this to my son, but stress of exams, hormones etc means he currently doesn't want to discuss.

The bottom line is should I be interfering or leaving him to choose (bearing in mind that he may turn round in 2 years and tell me I should have guided him better)

Definately do NOT force him to take maths if he doesnt want to. I took maths as I needed to choose 4 AS levels, and thought it would be a good idea/ go well with my two science AS's I'd chosen (Biology and Chemistry).

Got an A at GCSE. I've absolutely despised maths and wanted to drop it since October. I've taken C1 twice, and apparently this is supposed to be the 'easiest' module...
Reply 44
One thing you should warn him of, is that universities tend not to like applicants doing both business studies and economics; as the syllabuses generally overlap, quite a lot.

On the maths thing, if he doesn't really want to do maths, don't try an persuade him. My mum kinda forced me to do it, because I did really well at GCSE, but I really found the subject incredibly dull, and didn't do well in my A level, as a result.
If he's going to want to do economics, maths will be a huge help to him. Even though from what i hear the maths on the economics course is incredibly hard. Tougher than further maths apparently..

French will be pretty hard for him if he's not naturally good at it. Realistically he should be getting an A* at GCSE to be fine for A-level otherwise he'll struggle. I did economics at AS and found it to be pretty interesting, he'll have to write lots for economics exams and there is a lot to learn on the downside.

OP, you're too old for this site.
I believe that Business and Economics may be too close in content, that there is no real point in studying them both. As an AS maths student I understand that it is a difficult subject to do, but most universities regard it extremely highly. I'd talk to your son about it and maybe email some of the universities he is looking at on their views of his subject choices, there is no harm in it.
Reply 48
I suppose what the OP sees as soft subjects really depends on what he wants to do in the future. I mean even Oxbridge say on their website that if someone is applying for Cambridge that Business is a recomended subject. But at the same time economics is reguarded as a fairly weak alevel unless you want to do economics.

So overall, it does depend on what he wants to do at uni.

If he is moving towards the businessy/ economics route, maths on alot of courses is a must
Which is worth baring in mind
Reply 49

Just from stuff in my life:-

My wife wanted to do English but was persuaded to do Maths, and she bombed at A level. 35 years later, she is still bitter.

That said, she did go to Cambridge to read Geography and got a 2:1

At my daughter's school, they often take AS maths at the same time as GCSE, as the teacher thinks the amount of work to get to AS is not that much more.

Although they normally take 4 ASs and then give one up to take 3A2s, it is possible to take 5 ASs and then 3 A2s. I guess timetabling may be an issue and your son might find it hard, but it would provide a bit more flexibility and experience with the different subjects. If he agreed, you would just have to fight with the school over timetabling. Better fight against them on your son's behalf rather than against your son.

The debate about the value of different A levels is a good one. It is not often found in print, but I thought this was useful - http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604. Ignore the uni/college - they just wrote down what most other universities/employers think.

The key is to get an idea what university course is being considered. It would be terrible to try to choose the course, only to find that the wrong choice about A levels means it is impossible. That piece of advice was very good indeed (if only you know the target uni course!)

I think the decision has to be his. I had a similar thing with my daughter being interested in Psychology. The A level is not very highly thought of and her school got poor results in it. The evidence from uni courses suggested that Biology, Chemistry and Maths would stand her in good stead for doing Psychology at Uni - and would also give lots of flexibility if she changed her mind during A levels. She asked - I provided the evidence I found - she decided. If he hasn't asked or doesn't want to listen, then there isn't much you can do. I'll tell you in 35 years if she hates me for it!

I think there is quite a bit to be said for looking at the GCSE results and using those as a guide as to which A levels to consider. A* at GCSE is a good start to doing well at A level - if GCSE isn't reasonably easy, it is probably going to be very difficult at A level.

Sorry - it is all quite contradictory. But if it was easy, you wouldn't have asked.
Thoughts please :smile:

After you die he will be in this world making decisions himself. On that basis I think preparation for him to take accountability for his own decisions should start now. i.e. let him do what he wants to do - don't try persuading him one way or another - just give your opinion IF HE ASKS, else be supportive of his choices.

That's what i'm going to do with my children if i ever find a woman and have kids that is :rolleyes:
Reply 51
Original post by Kieren Doodle
i have no idea i have had quite a few beers here

Thanks! :frown: I now CRAVE ALCOHOL! :biggrin:
i seemed to have gotten through about 9 bottles of san miguel woooh
Reply 53
Ask him if he wants to take/would consider taking Maths. If he's not sure, feel free to tell him the benefits etc.
If he hates the idea, forget it.
Original post by Levi_0100
Thanks! :frown: I now CRAVE ALCOHOL! :biggrin:

that below was suppose to be here ha
Reply 55
If you force him into doing it then he won't have chosen it himself and won't be as motivated to study it. Perhaps just have a look through some prospectuses with him (for university courses) to see which ones he likes and then, if he needs maths, he can choose to study it himself.
Original post by L.Knowles
in my opinion business, economics and PE are all 'soft subjects' which universities will not appreciate at all as much as they would appreciate maths! however if you were to pursuade him to take it you will need to prepare to help him through it and even get a tutor because it is a massive step up from gcse

Sorry, but I disagree with you there. I think that economics isn't a soft subject at all. A lot of universities appreciate economics as much as French.Here is a good website to decide on what subjects to take. Hope it helps. :smile:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 57
Maths would give him the choice to study economics at uni, if he so wishes. (I know it's not a requirement everywhere, but it is at a lot of places.) Try and explain to him the benefits of doing maths in the future, but if he's dead set against it there's no point - a friend of mine took maths a level at the behest of her parents, having got an A at gcse, and dropped it after 6 months due to both the difference in difficulty and lack of real will to do it at a level.
Reply 58
My son is currently sitting his GCSEs and has chosen his A Levels, being, French, Economics, Business studies and PE.

He is unsure what he wants to do in the future but knows he wants to go to University (unsure of which course but will be business related).

As he has chosen 2 'soft' subjects I would prefer he reconsiders to give himself a wider choice of course at Uni and also to give him the best chance against other applicants.

I will never force him into doing something he doesn't want to do, I can only give him the benefit of my thoughts.

His predictions for GCSE Maths is an A and his maths teacher thinks he would do well at A level as he has a good work ethic.

Should I be trying to persuade him, or leave him to his decisions, which may (or may not) hold him back in the future?

Thoughts please :smile:

Economics and Business Studies are very similar in a not so good way (according to my economics teacher who teaches both and thoroughly recommended against any of us studying both!!). Therefore, it may be advisable for your son to take something else instead of Business Studies. This could be maths, if he enjoys it and wouldn't mind taking it on, or it could be something else if he would prefer that. Or he could just stick with Economics and Business Studies, but thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware of how similar they are!
Original post by Kieren Doodle
if he doesnt really have an interest in it then i would say no, due to the fact at A level maths is stupidly hard. the interest usually the only determination everyone has when it gets they tend to fall when thy arent

Are you retarded, if you think A level maths is "stupidly hard", you are stupidly retarded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending