The Student Room Group
All assessed together in February-March.
Reply 2
Brilliant - thanks a lot!
Reply 3
John Gardner
All assessed together in February-March.

This must mean that applications are made well before the Finals results are available. This suggests that Law Mods, Collections and tutors impressions are likely to be very important in the BCL entry process.

So even though the Law Mods do not count to the final degree, I guess that it is vitally important to get Distinctions at the Mods and then to do consistently well in Collections.

Hmm....
Time to start reading ....
We are looking for a first class law degree or its overseas equivalent. Only rarely do we depart from this requirement. Among those who have not yet finished their law degree we look for a transcript (academic record) that points very clearly in the direction of a first class degree being obtained, and then we offer a place conditionally upon a first class degree being obtained.

Of course, even among those who have, or are expected to obtain, first class law degrees there is stiff competitition, and this is where other aspects of the application become decisive.
Reply 5
John Gardner
We are looking for a first class law degree or its overseas equivalent. Only rarely do we depart from this requirement. Among those who have not yet finished their law degree we look for a transcript (academic record) that points very clearly in the direction of a first class degree being obtained, and then we offer a place conditionally upon a first class degree being obtained.

Of course, even among those who have, or are expected to obtain, first class law degrees there is stiff competitition, and this is where other aspects of the application become decisive.

Although it is worth noting that Oxford Undergrads are regularlygiven a 2:1 offer. A number of my contemporaries last year had 2:1s and were doing the BCL.

Outside of that, I cant think of anyone without a 1st class degree or as John said, the foreign equivalent. I think even Tabs have to get a first ... (although I can be sure).
Lawz-
Although it is worth noting that Oxford Undergrads are regularly given a 2:1 offer. A number of my contemporaries last year had 2:1s and were doing the BCL.

That was once the case but not any longer.
Reply 7
John Gardner
That was once the case but not any longer.

Really? Wonderful to hear - when did it change? It must have been this year? I matriculated in 2004 and one of my classmates on the BCL at ChCh had a 2:1 at undergrad.
Lawz-
Really? Wonderful to hear - when did it change? It must have been this year? I matriculated in 2004 and one of my classmates on the BCL at ChCh had a 2:1 at undergrad.

A uniform condition was applied to the 2005 intake and will be applied again in 2006. We still exercise some judgment at the borderline. So some people with 2.1s (Oxford and otherwise) will still get in occasionally.
Reply 9
John Gardner
A uniform condition was applied to the 2005 intake and will be applied again in 2006. We still exercise some judgment at the borderline. So some people with 2.1s (Oxford and otherwise) will still get in occasionally.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

Can I ask John - didnt you think a very large (suprisingly so) number of epople ended up with a distinction last year? Or was it in keeping with previous years?
I haven't got the data to hand. But we were looking at it a couple of weeks ago and I don't think it was wildly out of line.

Latest