The Student Room Group

How hard is ALevel Chemistry??

well im kinda not enjoying gcse chem. if i try my absolute hardest, i think i can get my A. but overall, i dont really enjoy chemistry, maybe its becasue of my teaching? (my teachers really bad) but i was thinking about going into medicine (maybe), but that requires a chemistry ALEVEL, so should i do it? even through i dont really enjoy it right now, at GCSE? :confused:
Reply 1
I'm thinking of doing medicine aswell. I'm in year 11. I think that you should do A levels you enjoy ALTHOUGH I would do Chemistry, at least for AS to keep your options open. However, Chemistry is of the, if not the, hardest options so bear this in mind.
Reply 2
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
I'm thinking of doing medicine aswell. I'm in year 11. I think that you should do A levels you enjoy ALTHOUGH I would do Chemistry, at least for AS to keep your options open. However, Chemistry is of the, if not the, hardest options so bear this in mind.

hmm it is hard. ive decided on maths, physics and r.s for my other AS's. if i do chemistry aswell, maybe itll be too hard?

and any thoughts on Economics?
Reply 3
Original post by Sephora226
hmm it is hard. ive decided on maths, physics and r.s for my other AS's. if i do chemistry aswell, maybe itll be too hard?

If you're thinking of going into medicine, I would advise you to take chemistry and also biology; it will make your life so much easier upon application and undertaking the course. However, as you may know, Biology isn't a necessity.

But you say you'd maybe like to go into medicine - is this your definite career choice or just something you're considering? Because, really, to get into medicine, you'd need to be focused and sure of what you're doing so you have the best chance of succeeding. It's a very difficult career path.
Reply 4
Original post by erniiee

Original post by erniiee
If you're thinking of going into medicine, I would advise you to take chemistry and also biology; it will make your life so much easier upon application and undertaking the course. However, as you may know, Biology isn't a necessity.

But you say you'd maybe like to go into medicine - is this your definite career choice or just something you're considering? Because, really, to get into medicine, you'd need to be focused and sure of what you're doing so you have the best chance of succeeding. It's a very difficult career path.

no, its not my definite choice. id love to be a surgeon or something like that, but i know getting there is incredibally difficult, so maybe not. i really do want to once and for all decide on my career/degree choice, but i just keep going back and forth, and just cant decide! :|
Reply 5

Don't do economics. For medicine (if you want the best chance) you need three out of chemistry/biology/maths/physics [with chemistry being compulsory]. I'm doing chemistry, biology, maths, physics. It will be difficult but I think its possible to do well in this combination, providing you work hard. =]
Reply 6

id love to be a surgeon or something like that, but i know getting there is incredibally difficult, so maybe not. i really do want to once and for all decide on my career/degree choice, but i just keep going back and forth, and just cant decide! :|
If you want to be a surgeon or anything within this area you HAVE to do the same medicine agree. Also, if you choose the science and maths subjects you're pretty much covered if you have a change of mind anyway.
Reply 7
In my opinion, A-level chemistry is very difficult. My school makes the top 10 students do at least one science a-level so I got forced into it and didn't really enjoy it. My other three subjects are history, english and politics; therefore, if you're more into science subjects you might find it easier. However, I got a double A* in GCSE double award science so I really think you need to get an A or B in single award to be able to cope. I did AQA chemistry. Module one and two are fine but module 4 is terrible! I got As in the first three modules and a C in Module 4! It's really over-loaded with content so you really need to be committed and study study study :/ Module 5 is fine compared to Module 4 as well but still more difficult than the first two. I would say that chemistry is one of the hardest A-levels and you really need to dedicate a lot of time to it in order to do well. Good luck in your choices :smile:
it's harder than a nonce in disneyland. ugh, silly exam tommorowwwwww!
Reply 9
no, its not my definite choice. id love to be a surgeon or something like that, but i know getting there is incredibally difficult, so maybe not. i really do want to once and for all decide on my career/degree choice, but i just keep going back and forth, and just cant decide! :|

Well, decide quickly :tongue: if you'd like to go into medicine you'll need to start doing work experience etc, so it would be a good idea to make a decision soon. However, if you're not sure, I wouldn't advise medicine as it requires commitment.

I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Fine Art. Apparently an alternative subject can be beneficial in applications and as I'm good and I enjoy Art, I'm taking it.

Choose the subjects you'd like to do if you can't make you're mind up about medicine :smile: it's much better to go into your A Levels positively than negatively, because if you do decide to do bio chem phys maths for example, you may decide you don't want to do medicine, then you'll be stuck with subjects you don't like!

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by oli_G

Original post by oli_G
If you want to be a surgeon or anything within this area you HAVE to do the same medicine agree. Also, if you choose the science and maths subjects you're pretty much covered if you have a change of mind anyway.

yeah i suppose so. thnaks for the advice :biggrin:. can u suggest any other career/degree possibilities for the ALevels ive chosen? (maths, physics, r.s & economics). it doesnt necessarily have to be med related. thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by erniiee

it does!! thanks! :biggrin: i am kind of drifting from the idea of medicine. i really doubt il be able to cope with alevel chem. so i guess il just have to DECIDE on another choice of career. any ideas with the alevels ive chosen? (maths, physics, r.s and economics)
Reply 12
yeah i suppose so. thnaks for the advice :biggrin:. can u suggest any other career/degree possibilities for the ALevels ive chosen? (maths, physics, r.s & economics). it doesnt necessarily have to be med related. thank you! :biggrin:

PPE - Philosophy, Politics and Economics. You've got Philosophy and Ethics (r.s) and Economics already, and these aren't usually course requirements :smile: if you like the sound of a combined degree, I'd do this.
From a physics-loving student point of view I have enjoyed AS Chemistry a lot. It is a wide topic full of interesting and some boring stuff. It is in between biology and physics and therefore has both memory and application/thinking questions. I reccommend everyone to do the first course only, possibly in the second year, and whoever wants to do medicine (like in your case) and chemistry-loving students to do both years.

edit; I didn't enjoy Chem IGCSE and I like Chem AS.. it depends on your teacher. If you are going to have the same teacher again, think twice as the problems you have now will double at Alevel. If you are going to have another teacher, go for it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm currently in year 12 and I take chemistry. I don't know what board you are on for GCSE, but I found GCSE chemistry such a drag and really didnt enjoy it. I chose chemistry on the idea that I needed it to study biology at degree, and because I wasn't sure what else to take. I was sure I would drop it after AS.
After a few weeks of AS, I loved it, and it is challenging, but it is interesting. You NEED it for medicine, and many other biology related sciences, and it makes Biology as so much easier (I presume you will be taking this if you want to go into Medicine.)
So in answering your question, A Level chemistry is hard, but rewarding and interesting!

Quote or pm me if you want more info :3
Reply 15

those a levels are very respectable and I'm sure it could open a lot of doors. however, i would encourage you to do maths a level. they say maths and science can get you anywhere, you know :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending