The Student Room Group

Should I become a foreign exchange student in the Caribbean, hate it here?

I am 14 actually from Jamaica, I was born there and moved when I was 2, so I still have a Jamaican passport. I'm thinking of going back to Jamaica or maybe the Bahamas or Dominica Republic etc. I already have friends I've known for ages in these countries. I really want to move because basically I've hated where I've lived since I was young and suffered from racism etc. I really hate it here. There are so many more reasons that I just cannot explain.

I'm currently in year 10 (14 years old) doing my first year of GCSE's. The countries I want to go to in the Caribbean have british international schools so I could continue my GCSE'S there. The thing is I just started a new private school last September. My father, a doctor, struggled a bit to pay for my fees. He recently got his pay cut by £16,000 aswell which makes things worse. I feel that if I leave now, it would have been a waste of his money, and I would feel really bad about it.

He's actually considering me going to the Caribbean because he knows how unhappy I am here but I just don't know what to do. Some say I should wait until I've graduated from uni to move but I can't cope with so much more pain for any longer. What do you think I should do? Thank you for your help.
bump
Reply 2
Its difficult mate, my only advice to you is to do what will make you happy and will be best for you :/
Reply 3
It's a tough decision mate, but if your family are prepared to let you go and you really want to then go for it. Where abouts in the uk do you live, and how bad is the racism because perhaps you would benefit from moving to another private school within the uk. It would be easier to start fresh in the uk than move to another country.

Good luck anyway mate.
Reply 4
Aww sorry to hear about your situation. I was actually contemplating the same thing a few years ago because I really disliked my secondary school and the people I was surrounded by. I wanted to go back to Jamaica for college/sixth form,and for University. I'm sure you are aware of this,but unless you have big money,you cannot get far with education in Jamaica. Then when it comes to Univeristy,there are only 6 univesities in Jamaica (I think) so can you imagine how difficult the competition is?
I would advise you to finish your High school and college education over here,and then perhaps apply to Jamaican/Caribbean Universities as well after your first year in college if you still feel the same way.
I'm sorry you have experienced racism which seems to have affected you deeply at such a young age. I don't know where you live,but there is a black community everywhere. Perhaps do some research into local youth clubs,make an effort to make new friends and that sort of thing (I know it is easier said than done) Good Luck in whatever you choose to do.

Quick Reply

Latest