The Student Room Group

Don't want to take an exam: what can I do?

I'm in the middle of my GCSEs at the moment and my school is forcing me to take a half-gcse which I really don't want! :angry:

Our teacher has been truly terrible this year and we have hardly covered the syllabus, however, despite asking the school several times if I could be pulled from the exam, they have refused. I am hoping to study medicine and as such I want the highest grades possible, and I'm worried that the time I would have to spend studying for this exam in order to get a B or higher could impact my other GCSEs (Like history- eep!)

I'm already taking 12 as it is, so obviously I don't need another half: what would you all suggest? :confused:
Reply 1
What subject is this in?
If like you say it is useless then as long as you do well in your other exams you will be fine for Medicine. For example Cardiff only look at your 9 best GCSEs, so if you had 9 A*- B grades for example, a U in anything else wouldn't matter.
Reply 2
Sorry should have said: it's in economics. :wink:
Reply 3
Just dont turn up to the exam?
Have an argument with the headteacher? I love arguing with teachers.
A half GCSE in Economics wont affect you to much, as long as your A* in core subjects, and strong A Levels.
AFAIK, if you get a U - Ungraded - in your exam then you don't have to list it on your UCAS application form because you wouldn't actually have a grade for it (that's how it works for AS levels anyway). So if you really don't think you can do it then you could just not revise for it and do b-gger all in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest