The Student Room Group

Sheffield Vs Edinburgh for masters?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sheffield +1
Reply 21
so all u guys are saying is that I should go for MA in Architectural Design at Sheffield? thanks a lot for your inputs... i just have one last question : how is the job front there.. is it possible to work during studies? in an archi related job i mean... for international students especially?

Also, does anyone know if the MA course in Sheffield offers a student the flexibility to choose art and landscape modules? I want to focus on art related aspects.. want to learn how to extend my architectural understanding to site and the environment.. not exactly landscape architecture.. but yeah theoritically yes.. any ideas?
Reply 22
Original post by bone-machine
no sorry i didnt make myself very clear

i decided that i wanted to move from sheffield not because it isnt a good school (its a great school!!) but because i missed my home town (london) and wanted to save money by living at home. there are lots of other architectural reasons i wanted to leave but i wont bore you with those here

the main point is i researched my schools carefully and decided which one had an approach/ethos/course/unit that interested and suited me best. sheffield was not that school for me despite its fantastic reputation.

if your concerned with reputation then sheffield might help you, especially if you plan to work in the uk. employers look very favourably on it . saying that edinburgh is well respected too and a BEAUTIFUL city. plus if you like scottish accents like me it migth be the place for you *drool*

ps. ignore what i said about masterplans, sheffield has a very balanced appraoch to architecture and meaningful interventions are very much encouraged(!!))

I would like to hear your "architectural reasons" to leave sheffield as well, if it may be useful to me. I know Sheffield has a great reputation, but more than reputation i am more concerned about getting into the course which not only suits me best but also has better job prospects.

I want to study architecture from the point of view of spatial connections to the outside environment, and how well it can integrate itself with natural forms. Also, being an artist myself, I would love to explore the artistic dimension and see if i can learn more about how art and architecture can come together.

So having said this, can you give me a better idea? I have unconditionals from Sheffield, Edinburgh, Oxford Brookes, and Liverpool. Even GSA I got accepted, but it is too research based for my liking. i'd prefer more design based course. :smile:
Original post by Anu_16
I would like to hear your "architectural reasons" to leave sheffield as well, if it may be useful to me. I know Sheffield has a great reputation, but more than reputation i am more concerned about getting into the course which not only suits me best but also has better job prospects.

I want to study architecture from the point of view of spatial connections to the outside environment, and how well it can integrate itself with natural forms. Also, being an artist myself, I would love to explore the artistic dimension and see if i can learn more about how art and architecture can come together.

So having said this, can you give me a better idea? I have unconditionals from Sheffield, Edinburgh, Oxford Brookes, and Liverpool. Even GSA I got accepted, but it is too research based for my liking. i'd prefer more design based course. :smile:

sheffield is very arty and will , in my opinion cover all the things you are interested in. they are very aware of the importance of connection with the environment and even have a duel landscape and architecture course that reflects that focus. im certain you would be happy there as they are well balanced.
Reply 24
Original post by bone-machine
sheffield is very arty and will , in my opinion cover all the things you are interested in. they are very aware of the importance of connection with the environment and even have a duel landscape and architecture course that reflects that focus. im certain you would be happy there as they are well balanced.

can you tell me which course.. coz i have applied to the MA in architectural design..
MA architectural design is basically a 12 month course working alongside part two diploma students. Then in the summer you do another project.
Reply 26
I am just picking the universities for my Part II applications and I was looking into Sheffield. I have seen their prospectus lsiting all the units and modules...

and my impression is that it is very much focused on the 'practice aspect' of architecture - with lot of design reports and a requirement to audit your final project in terms of health & safety and cost management, etc.

When I was looking at other universities, the projects seemed much more abstract and not concerned with these 'practical issues' so much. Surely, these skills are good for practice - but I am wondering how much space does this really leave you for the experimentation and creative freedom the other unis seem to offer? Or is ithis only my (wrong) impression?

Any insight into this much appreciated.
Reply 27
Original post by Anu_16
can you tell me which course.. coz i have applied to the MA in architectural design..

Hi there Anu!
I'm currently in the same boat that you were in back in 2011. I am an architecture student from India and have currently gotten unconditional offers from GSA, Edinburgh, Sheffield and UCA. I plan on studying Urban Design.
Wanted to know which college you eventually selected. And what was your experience there like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending