The Student Room Group

Economics at City University London - ask a question!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Cityunilondon
Hi smoky188,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We've heard back from Cass, and they say the following:

"We understand that applicants may be applying for slightly different courses elsewhere, so it's not too much of a disadvantage [to have an Economics-focused personal statement].

If we were interested in the applicant then we may ask for a new personal statement focussing on Banking & International Finance, or they could email one directly to us ([email protected]) when they make their application through UCAS."

I hope this is helpful.
Best of luck with your application.

Thank your for your reply.
Reply 81
hi,

i'm interested in studying economics at city, but have a question about the entry requirements and offers.

at AS i got three C's in English lit, Economics, and History, however this was achieved with only 40% attendance during my AS year due to illness.

i plan to re-sit a few modules to up my grades, and hopefully still be able to reach somewhere near the entry requirement overall. i have also taken up politics at AS as i was unable to complete 4 AS's during year 12 due to illness.

would city take into consideration my mitigating circumstance when viewing my application? is it worth applying?

thanks
Original post by GOLFWANG
hi,

i'm interested in studying economics at city, but have a question about the entry requirements and offers.

at AS i got three C's in English lit, Economics, and History, however this was achieved with only 40% attendance during my AS year due to illness.

i plan to re-sit a few modules to up my grades, and hopefully still be able to reach somewhere near the entry requirement overall. i have also taken up politics at AS as i was unable to complete 4 AS's during year 12 due to illness.

would city take into consideration my mitigating circumstance when viewing my application? is it worth applying?

thanks

Hi Golfwang, and thanks for your question.

We will happily consider your application, as long as you think that, by the time your tutors predict your A-level grades, you grades will be higher. If your predicted grades end up being substantially lower than our AAA entry requirements, you should think about sending us some more supporting information, particularly if it suggests you will do better in your final A-levels than predicted.

If you do need to contact us, either before or after you have submitted your UCAS application, please email [email protected] and we'll do our best to advise you according to your circumstances.

Very best of luck this year.
Kind regards.
My main 4 unis are for economics but im thinking of city for Finance and investment risk management. My personal statement is geared to Economics. Would this be a problem for Finance and investment risk management course?
Original post by theseeker
My main 4 unis are for economics but im thinking of city for Finance and investment risk management. My personal statement is geared to Economics. Would this be a problem for Finance and investment risk management course?

Hi there,

Someone asked a similar question a few days ago, so we checked with Cass Business School.

They don't see it as a big problem, and say they may ask you for a new personal statement focusing on their course if they like your application, or you can email a separate statement directly to them ([email protected]) when you make your application through UCAS. It would be more 'proactive' to submit a separate statement directly to Cass in our view...!

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your UCAS applications.
Kind regards.
Reply 85
Hi there,

Someone asked a similar question a few days ago, so we checked with Cass Business School.

They don't see it as a big problem, and say they may ask you for a new personal statement focusing on their course if they like your application, or you can email a separate statement directly to them ([email protected]) when you make your application through UCAS. It would be more 'proactive' to submit a separate statement directly to Cass in our view...!

Kind regards.

Hi,

I've applied for Management at Cass but was really interested in your IFRM course too. I found it difficult to combine my statement so it would address both of the courses so sent off application to universities for Management. Would it therefore be possible for me to rewrite my statement and send another ''private'' one to your university?
Hi there,

Kind regards.

Where have Finance and Investment Risk management graduates ended up in the last 3 years or so?
Original post by Bud Fox
Hi,

I've applied for Management at Cass but was really interested in your IFRM course too. I found it difficult to combine my statement so it would address both of the courses so sent off application to universities for Management. Would it therefore be possible for me to rewrite my statement and send another ''private'' one to your university?

Hi Bud,

Yes, absolutely. As above, please do send a separate statement to [email protected], quoting your UCAS number and the course you have applied for.

Best wishes.
Reply 88
Hi Bud,

Yes, absolutely. As above, please do send a separate statement to [email protected], quoting your UCAS number and the course you have applied for.

Best wishes.

Even though I've already applied to 5 other choices?
Original post by Bud Fox
Even though I've already applied to 5 other choices?

Hi Bud,

Apologies, I misread your initial question. If you have already applied to 5 universities, you wouldn't be able to apply for a sixth unless you're eligible for UCAS Extra.

Alternatively, as you have already applied for Management at Cass, if you decide you would prefer to take Investment & Financial Risk Management, you should contact Cass to see if you can switch courses.

Best of luck.
Kind regards.
Reply 90
Hi Bud,

Apologies, I misread your initial question. If you have already applied to 5 universities, you wouldn't be able to apply for a sixth unless you're eligible for UCAS Extra.

Alternatively, as you have already applied for Management at Cass, if you decide you would prefer to take Investment & Financial Risk Management, you should contact Cass to see if you can switch courses.

Best of luck.
Kind regards.

What if I cancelled one of my insurance choices, would it be possible for me to replace it with your university's course?
Original post by Bud Fox
What if I cancelled one of my insurance choices, would it be possible for me to replace it with your university's course?

Hi Bud,

To be honest, I don't think so. I think UCAS Extra only applies if you have either been unsuccessful or declined all the offers you received. If in doubt, contact UCAS for advice (scroll down past the FAQs for phone numbers). Of course we'll do whatever we can to help.

All the best.
Reply 92
Hi,

I'm going to apply for the Financial Economics course, which starts in September 2012. It's written on the website that i need to achieve at least 80% from three extended level subjects (Polish Matura) Which subjects do they need me to pass? My plan is to take a mathematics, english and geography extended level exams. Is it a good idea?
Hi aga80,

Many thanks for your message and for your interest in the BSc Financial Economics course.

We would ask that all Polish students completing the Matura, who wish to be considered for BSc Financial Economics, have completed Mathematics as one of their 'Extended Level' subjects. We would definitely consider your application if you choose to take English and Geography alongside this.

Despite taking English at Extended Level we would also ask that you complete an IELTS/TOEFL exam. If you complete the IELTS we would ask for an overall grade of 6.5, with no individual score below 6.0. If you were completing the TOEFL, we would ask for you to achieve an overall score of 100, with no individual score below 25.

If you have any further questions then please contact [email protected]

Kind regards.
Reply 94
Hi there,

Kind regards.

Hello sorry to bother you again regarding sending another statement would this be possible for a course such as actuarial science even though some other unis
offer it, assuming the ucas ps is econ based again. Sorry Im asking for my friend here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Thank you very much for the answer!
Reply 96
Hi smoky188,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We've heard back from Cass, and they say the following:

"We understand that applicants may be applying for slightly different courses elsewhere, so it's not too much of a disadvantage [to have an Economics-focused personal statement].

If we were interested in the applicant then we may ask for a new personal statement focussing on Banking & International Finance, or they could email one directly to us ([email protected]) when they make their application through UCAS."

I hope this is helpful.
Best of luck with your application.

Hello sorry to bother you again regarding sending another statement would this be possible for a course such as actuarial science even though some other unis
offer it, assuming the ucas ps is econ based again. Sorry Im asking for my friend here.
Reply 97
hello
i was wondering for the masters courses as CASS do they look at your A levels grades aswell as degree mark? i achieved BBC (in maths economics and chemistry respectively) and am certain i can achieve at least AAC if not A*AC if i resit one module for maths and economics but was wondering whether this would disadvantage me as i would be seen as a resit student and is my BBC sufficient if i have a first class honours degree in economics bsc. and would the ranking of the university be taken into account?
thank you in advance
Reply 98
Original post by dreamer123
hello
i was wondering for the masters courses as CASS do they look at your A levels grades aswell as degree mark? i achieved BBC (in maths economics and chemistry respectively) and am certain i can achieve at least AAC if not A*AC if i resit one module for maths and economics but was wondering whether this would disadvantage me as i would be seen as a resit student and is my BBC sufficient if i have a first class honours degree in economics bsc. and would the ranking of the university be taken into account?
thank you in advance

I don't think universities look at your pre-university academics, isn't it mainly focused on work experience and undergraduate grades? i.e.: requirements might be to get a minimum of a 2:1 degree in a quantitative discipline, blablabla with GMAT score of blablabla
Reply 99
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending