The Student Room Group

Higher Computing thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This would have to be my strongest subject by far so I'm not really worried, got 60/60 for my coursework (I'm probably gonna blame a very lenient teacher here but in all fairness it wasn't too difficult).

Fingers crossed for a decent trace in the AI section, long ones with recursion tend to be tedious to write out
My coursework grade was 53, but our teacher said that it could change as if the sqa moderates the department and are apparentyl very strict, and just wondering if this has happened to anybody yet, as i am relying on this coursework grade to get me an A.
Reply 22
Original post by davidmcd1994
My coursework grade was 53, but our teacher said that it could change as if the sqa moderates the department and are apparentyl very strict, and just wondering if this has happened to anybody yet, as i am relying on this coursework grade to get me an A.

It is possible, if your coursework is moderated then the score can change. However, your teacher should be marking the coursework in line with the marking guide. If (s)he has done this then it is highly, highly unlikely that your coursework grade will change.

The SQA are strict in that they follow their marking scheme to the letter. In all fairness to the SQA, if your teacher isn't following the marking scheme properly (whether that be giving more or less marks then (s)he should) then it is only fair that your grade is raised or lowered.

Stop worrying about it, you can't change it now. The one thing you can change is how well you do in the exam, study everything up, remember the fetch execute cycle and try to remember how to do the calculations - these are easy marks if you can remember them :smile:.

Good luck :smile: !
(edited 12 years ago)
Are compilers and interpreters strictly programs within themselves or are they part of the program they execute ?
Help needed, in a sound file size calculation if it's "CD quality" what does this signify?
Original post by Darrenh800
Are compilers and interpreters strictly programs within themselves or are they part of the program they execute ?

The former.

Original post by Denver Broncos fan
Help needed, in a sound file size calculation if it's "CD quality" what does this signify?

44.1 kilohertz sampling at 16 bits per channel, with 2 channels (i.e. 44.1e3 * 32 bits = ~172 kilobytes per second).
Ah only a couple of days to go now, why on earth did i take adavanced computing next year? lol :smile:
I'm pretty much OK with Computing; got 86% in the Prelim with coursework mark (50/60) added on. Just need to keep working at it. AI is my worst unit though :frown: And a spider just crawled out of my computing folder. *resists urge to make joke about bugs*
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheUnbeliever
The former.

44.1 kilohertz sampling at 16 bits per channel, with 2 channels (i.e. 44.1e3 * 32 bits = ~172 kilobytes per second).

Thank you. Sorry to burden the thread with even more questions but I know that the address bus is unidirectional but I don't know why. Surely if the processor needs to get memory addresses then the address bus would have to send them back:confused:
Original post by Darrenh800
Thank you. Sorry to burden the thread with even more questions but I know that the address bus is unidirectional but I don't know why. Surely if the processor needs to get memory addresses then the address bus would have to send them back:confused:

Under what circumstances? I think you're considering a situation where you have a pointer stored in memory, and want to access the data it points to. In this case, the pointer value would be copied from memory across the data bus, as with any other value.

Does that help?
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Under what circumstances? I think you're considering a situation where you have a pointer stored in memory, and want to access the data it points to. In this case, the pointer value would be copied from memory across the data bus, as with any other value.

Does that help?

Yes, thanks.:smile:
my school got moderated and and my coursework went from 52 to 40 out of 60, so annoyed, i need a B minimum for uni and im really worried i won't get it now because i do find the amount of stuff we've to learn quite a lot in conjunction to all my other subjects haha! :frown:
I want to feel confident about this, studied as much as I could since February because I fecked up the prelim and got 42%, then got 77% in the part 3 second prelim raising my overall prelim mark to 53% and with he coursework that bring me to 61% with 46/60, which is decent.

Anyone elses last exam?

Anyway good luck and just remember that theres plenty of time if you pace yourself, its not a race.
Does anyone know if its 70 or 75% for an A in higher computing, my teacher said its 70 but I heard last year it was around 75?
Original post by ChrisCairns
Does anyone know if its 70 or 75% for an A in higher computing, my teacher said its 70 but I heard last year it was around 75?

Last year was actually only 132/200 for an A.

After so much revision for biology, were the marking schemes are just silly, i have to laugh at some of the stuff they include in the computing schemes; seems so much simpler.
Reply 35
What's the difference between the Memory Management System and the File Management System? I sorta lost all my notes so I'm using the Currie ones and they don't really make it too clear. :s-smilie:

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 36
If I have 56/60 on the course work task, so 56/200 overall, does this mean i only need about 85 marks tomorrow to get an A?
Original post by im_ant
If I have 56/60 on the course work task, so 56/200 overall, does this mean i only need about 85 marks tomorrow to get an A?

Yup :smile:
Original post by Enzo-259
What's the difference between the Memory Management System and the File Management System? I sorta lost all my notes so I'm using the Currie ones and they don't really make it too clear. :s-smilie:

Thanks. :smile:

Memory management allocates RAM to files whilst they are in use, file management tracks files stored in various locations throughout the computer.

I'm bricking it...
Reply 39
Original post by stephenmca
Yup :smile:

Hear that? It was the sound of my computing books snapping shut haha. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending