Higher Computing thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Networking :
21a) A-body
B-title
c- paragraph
b) project manager
ci) Allows EFT, thats all i wrote on the question paper, wrote something different on the answer sheet
ii) word of mouth
iii)provide username and password
d) I wrote low bandwidth and formatting features
22a) 3200s = 53.3 minutes
b) allows computers to send/receive data over different networks
ci)Adds destination header and then routes it around the network until it reaches its destination
ii) file transfer protocol
d) Splits the file into packets, adds a sequence header, routes round the network and reassembles at the destination
ei) Even number of mistakes not spotted - dunno if thats correct :frown:
ii) Retransmitting will take up more time
23a)i) Bandwidth Consumption
ii) loss of sales and expense to repair
iii) blocks attacks from outside and checks Ip destination and source to see where it has came from
b) Swtch - full bandwidth sent to the addressed node
Hub- Broadcasts it round the network
c)i)Class C as it is within the range of 192-223
ii) Same as the first octet
iii) >256
d) Collisions will be prevented so time will be faster than if there was no collision detection was in place
24a) Queries several search engines
Collates findings into one report
Displays them to the user
ii) Crawler-based
b) Standard protocol of sending emails
c) Dont know who their child is talking to
Disputes between the childs friends and the child
di) Permitted list - only these can be viewed
ii) Not aloud onto educational sites as they are not on the permitted list and he cannot do his homework
iii) blocks bad websites but at the same time allows the child to browse more of the internet
ei) People who have knowledge of the internet
ii) Job prospects
Business

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by Danny1994
Networking :
21a) A-body
B-title
c- paragraph
b) project manager
ci) Allows EFT, thats all i wrote on the question paper, wrote something different on the answer sheet
ii) word of mouth
iii)provide username and password
d) I wrote low bandwidth and formatting features
22a) 3200s = 53.3 minutes
b) allows computers to send/receive data over different networks
ci)Adds destination header and then routes it around the network until it reaches its destination
ii) file transfer protocol
d) Splits the file into packets, adds a sequence header, routes round the network and reassembles at the destination
ii) Retransmitting will take up more time
23a)i) Bandwidth Consumption
ii) loss of sales and expense to repair
iii) blocks attacks from outside and checks Ip destination and source to see where it has came from
b) Swtch - full bandwidth sent to the addressed node
Hub- Broadcasts it round the network
c)i)Class C as it is within the range of 192-223
ii) Same as the first octet
iii) >256
d) Collisions will be prevented so time will be faster than if there was no collision detection was in place
24a) Queries several search engines
Collates findings into one report
Displays them to the user
ii) Crawler-based
b) Standard protocol of sending emails
c) Dont know who their child is talking to
Disputes between the childs friends and the child
di) Permitted list - only these can be viewed
ii) Not aloud onto educational sites as they are not on the permitted list and he cannot do his homework
iii) blocks bad websites but at the same time allows the child to browse more of the internet
ei) People who have knowledge of the internet
ii) Job prospects
Business

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Beyond helpfull :smile::smile::smile: , Thank you for sharing that with us, I feel so much better about my exam now. Mind at ease
Reply 82
Original post by MisterMan
Beyond helpfull :smile::smile::smile: , Thank you for sharing that with us, I feel so much better about my exam now. Mind at ease

I swear i as freaking out after it because someone said something different and i started panicking, no problem :smile:
Reply 83
I swear i as freaking out after it because someone said something different and i started panicking, no problem :smile:

You are exactly on the same lines as me its unbelievable, except for the first question which I messed up :frown:. The rest seems all good though for us both.
Reply 84
You are exactly on the same lines as me its unbelievable, except for the first question which I messed up :frown:. The rest seems all good though for us both.

Yay! I counted up my marks and i may have got 115/140 which im chuffed at and i've got over 50 marks for the practical (she never told me!! :angry:) so hopefully all goes well :\
Reply 85
Yay! I counted up my marks and i may have got 115/140 which im chuffed at and i've got over 50 marks for the practical (she never told me!! :angry:) so hopefully all goes well :\

Same here :smile:, I got a decent enough mark for my coursework and the exam went really well for me so I'm just hoping that I have managed an A :colondollar:. Is that what you are aiming for ?:smile:
Reply 86
Same here :smile:, I got a decent enough mark for my coursework and the exam went really well for me so I'm just hoping that I have managed an A :colondollar:. Is that what you are aiming for ?:smile:

Yeah, hopefully, cause i want to do Advanced Higher :\ EXAMS ARE FINISHED :biggrin:! (for this year)
Reply 87
Yeah, hopefully, cause i want to do Advanced Higher :\ EXAMS ARE FINISHED :biggrin:! (for this year)

Advanced higher :biggrin: , sounds more fun than the higher from what I have heard :smile:. Time to relax though lol because the stress of exams are gone :smile:
Reply 88
Advanced higher :biggrin: , sounds more fun than the higher from what I have heard :smile:. Time to relax though lol because the stress of exams are gone :smile:

I know :biggrin: can't wait cause it will be fun :') I know, summer time :biggrin:
Reply 89
Can't beleive i put 512 for the first one...idiot :frown:
Reply 90
Don't know if anyone has already posted this or even noticed it but this question references Celtic footballer Joe Ledley:

http://yfrog.com/5puz4tj

Found it pretty cool :smile:

If that was a question about a limitation of parity bits, then yes. :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by TheUnbeliever
If that was a question about a limitation of parity bits, then yes. :smile:

Describe one situation where a parity check would fail to detect an error 2marks
Reply 93
My answers are:
1)1023
2) Mips-How many millions of instructions can be processed per second
3a) Buffer stores it in main memory and spooler is stored in backing storage
b) Voltage Conversion and Status signals
4a)Boot-sector
b) Delivery and watching
5) WNIC
6a) bitmap is compressed and vector may have complex attributes
bi)16.7 million
ii)Increases file size
7a)Software specification
b) Revisits earlier stages in light of new information
8a) The order the program must be designed in
b) Written in english so mistakes can easily be spotted
Easily turned into coding
9) A variable with only two outcomes
10a)Given to people to test
b)Meaningful variable names
c) never got
11a) & (but i found out you had to put concatanation) :frown:
b) Integer
12a) Scripting
b) Increases productivity and less chance of human error

from that - see a few different answers than me, ... but one that im sure is wrong is 11b) it has to be string... as concatenation is putting two stringvalues together,

Dean
Reply 94
If I got a B in the exam but I got an A in the prelim am I eligible for an appeal ? I have never appealed an exam before so I'm clueless :confused:. Its just in case I do get a B or worse, how does the appeal system work ?.
Reply 95
Original post by Dean_Reid
from that - see a few different answers than me, ... but one that im sure is wrong is 11b) it has to be string... as concatenation is putting two stringvalues together,

Dean

Are you sure?
Reply 96
your school should/will automatically do the appeal for you.. each department handles their own appeals.. and you dont really need to be anything to do with it, except from asking if they put forward the appeal..

All appeals do NOT get accepted by the SQA.. as it is not only prelim results but also needs more supporting proof - eg. Class Assesments, coursework etc.

Dean
Reply 97
Original post by Dean_Reid
your school should/will automatically do the appeal for you.. each department handles their own appeals.. and you dont really need to be anything to do with it, except from asking if they put forward the appeal..

All appeals do NOT get accepted by the SQA.. as it is not only prelim results but also needs more supporting proof - eg. Class Assesments, coursework etc.

Dean

Thank you :smile:, just hope I do get an A by a very generous marker :biggrin:
Reply 98
Are you sure?

Varible3 = varible1 (?) varible2

I thought it was "&" and the operation was concatenation as the 8 and the 4 where joined together to make 84. Am I correct in saying this ? No strings where extracted only joined together by concatenation ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Reply 99
Varible3 = varible1 (?) varible2

I thought it was "&" and the operation was concatenation as the 8 and the 4 where joined together to make 84. Am I correct in saying this ? No strings where extracted only joined together by concatenation ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah thats correct, they were joined by concat by the & :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending