The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
No, that's not the case. It would then be down to ELQ status, and if you already have a degree (even one you didn't get a student loan for) you can't get funding for a second one.

However, I believe the reverse is true.

Sorry! I thought it was that way round - I must have misread something somewhere.
Reply 181
Original post by Rosi M
Optom at manchester is reaaaaaaallly good, im enjoying it alot :biggrin: Clinics are my favorite, you really feel like an optom! until you get something wrong, which is quite frequently at this stage :P But you know how they say, "uni is easier than A levels", in my year most of us dont agree. It feels less pressure because no ucas but the work load is double. What you do at A level in over a week, thats how much we do in one lecture but because youve gone through horrible A levels and the awful revision routine, your prepared and you can do it.
We've started retinoscopy, my eye strains too much looking through it! Ah i bet your all cursing me whilst reading this, sorry people :P

My interview was aboutttttt 20 minutes i think. They asked me alot on personal statement and work experience, and the optometrist and patient. There was one question i still remember he asked me "why do you think your good with people", i dunno it was one of those random questions.
Haha thanks :smile: Yeah like i said, it wasnt fun! A2 practically raped me :/

Wow your definitely guaranteed an interview and offer with those grades! A* in maths, you strange person :P

Wow, you make it look like Optom is gonna be more pressurised! I get what you mean though.. :biggrin: lol I can imagine that, have you got more spare time at Optom or at A-levels? And would you carry on completing the Moptom?

Oh that's not long, the 3rd year Optom guy in the open day said his one was half an hour. He said they ask a lot to see how well you communicate and that. Guess that question they asked you was directly asking it. lol

lol Chemistry A2 is no way near fun, it's bloody torture lol, I doubt I'd get an A for that. You must have smashed the A2 exams. :P

Lol thanks, it's nothing special really.. :wink:
Reply 182
Hello eh,

I am from Canada hoping to apply to AR, Cardiff, Aston, Manchester, and Bradford for optometry. I have been working at an optical for the last couple of years and shadowing an Optometrist for the last couple of months. I graduated highschool in 2009 and got my OSSD with an Ontario Scholar standing and got an 81% avg for my top 6 courses. I am now completing my BSc degree in april from Ryerson University averaging 65% (C+). I failed Organic chemistry last year (not affecting me from graduating), but I am doing well this year. I am getting a good letter of rec. from my university physics professor (aced the course). I have good volunteer hours and good work experience. I am going to send in my application through UCAS by next week.

What are my chances of being accepted, and any tips for an international? :smile: and the best school for Canadians?

Do I have to show my Bachelor of Science degree or can I just show my OSSD? Will they require my transcripts and how can I attach them to UCAS

thanks
Original post by moehuch
Hello eh,

I am from Canada hoping to apply to AR, Cardiff, Aston, Manchester, and Bradford for optometry. I have been working at an optical for the last couple of years and shadowing an Optometrist for the last couple of months. I graduated highschool in 2009 and got my OSSD with an Ontario Scholar standing and got an 81% avg for my top 6 courses. I am now completing my BSc degree in april from Ryerson University averaging 65% (C+). I failed Organic chemistry last year (not affecting me from graduating), but I am doing well this year. I am getting a good letter of rec. from my university physics professor (aced the course). I have good volunteer hours and good work experience. I am going to send in my application through UCAS by next week.

What are my chances of being accepted, and any tips for an international? :smile: and the best school for Canadians?

Do I have to show my Bachelor of Science degree or can I just show my OSSD? Will they require my transcripts and how can I attach them to UCAS

thanks

You'd probably be better off asking in the International students section, I don't think any of us know much about internationals.

Though I will say that Manchester is a very multicultural city and you'll probably fit right in there.
Reply 184
Hey guys,

I got an Interview at Manchester on December 14th..!! :smile: Anyone else heard from Manchester??? :biggrin:
Original post by Fardip
Hey guys,

I got an Interview at Manchester on December 14th..!! :smile: Anyone else heard from Manchester??? :biggrin:

Wooh!!!
I got one as well today :biggrin: :biggrin:

Glad someone else is going

Well done!!!
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Well, considering the Orthoptics degree is paid for by the NHS it doesn't seem a bad option. If you decide you want to do a second Optom degree you'll still be able to have the funding and only one set of fees.

I obviously didn't look into it much
Are you being serious?!
Original post by Jodieeee....
I obviously didn't look into it much
Are you being serious?!

I was corrected a few posts ago; if you do Optom first you'll be able to do Orthop, but not vice versa.
Original post by Fardip
Hey guys,

Wooh!!!

Well done!!!

I got the e-mail for it today too!! Ahh so scared! Does anyone know if it's just an individual interview, or group interviews or presentations or anything like that?

And have Manchester ever been known to lower the entry requirements at all for Optometry?
Original post by moehuch
Hello eh...

Hey! Just wanted to say I spent grade 9 in BC and I loved it but we thought it was best to return to England after the year. Whereabouts are you from?

And I think I'm right in saying you can spend one of the years, if not your pre-reg year, with Optometry in Canada/New Zealand and elsewhere so there are lots of Canadian links at any of the 9 universities.

Can I ask why you chose those 5 unis specifically? I'm just curious because having lived in the UK it can be easy to be influenced by a certain area over another... which universities seemed to be the best from a fresh pair of eyes and why? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by britchick
I got the e-mail for it today too!! Ahh so scared! Does anyone know if it's just an individual interview, or group interviews or presentations or anything like that?

And have Manchester ever been known to lower the entry requirements at all for Optometry?

Wooh!!!

Well done!!!

Hey!! Lol that's jokes.. We'll all see each other there at Manchester on the same day.. Well done to you guys though! :biggrin:

Well, I'm afraid only Rosi M can answer that question, so hopefully she'll get back to us and give us some advice.. :wink:

What are you guys gonna wear? December is not far away lol

I only got an email, it didn't show up on Ucas track.. :s-smilie:
Hi :smile:
its nice to finally get to grips with my TSR login and actually post instead of stalking ha!
Iv applied for optom this year, last year I applied for dentistry and didnt get any offers but Extra offered me a place for Aston optom and altho I didnt do particularly well in my A-levels I decided to resit the modules and hopefully get in for optom this time! my work exp was fab and its a really good career so I thought why not :smile:
applicant pofile:
GCSE: 4A* 7As and a B
A level: A in English (will resit the coursework after Jan exams as I was a few UMS off an A*) and atm Im resiting some bio and chem modules to lift them up to As too :smile: ooo and that EPQ thing :colondollar:
Applied: Bradford
Aston
Anglia
Cardiff
Plymouth

I WOULD LOVE A PLACE AT ASTON <3 its such a cool uni everything is on campus and its pretty friendly not to mention my OH goes there :colondollar:

I recieved an offer from Anglia and have got an interview/open day for Bradford on the 23rd :smile:

How long did it take Aston to respond to those with offers?

x
Original post by Rosi M
Optom at manchester is reaaaaaaallly good, im enjoying it alot :biggrin: Clinics are my favorite, you really feel like an optom! until you get something wrong, which is quite frequently at this stage :P But you know how they say, "uni is easier than A levels", in my year most of us dont agree. It feels less pressure because no ucas but the work load is double. What you do at A level in over a week, thats how much we do in one lecture but because youve gone through horrible A levels and the awful revision routine, your prepared and you can do it.
We've started retinoscopy, my eye strains too much looking through it! Ah i bet your all cursing me whilst reading this, sorry people :P

My interview was aboutttttt 20 minutes i think. They asked me alot on personal statement and work experience, and the optometrist and patient. There was one question i still remember he asked me "why do you think your good with people", i dunno it was one of those random questions.

Wow your definitely guaranteed an interview and offer with those grades! A* in maths, you strange person :P

Hey sorry to be a pain but this is amazing to talk to someone who actually studies Optometry! It seems like a mysterious subject that no one seems to take, yet there are so many applicants it's like, where do you all come from? o.O
Would you mind possibly answering a few questions I have? Thank youuu!

- What were you predicted at A-level, and in which subjects?
- Was Manchester your firm choice? If so, what was your insurance?
- What did you actually achieve at A-level i.e. did you meet your predicted grades?
- Do you know of anyone on your course who actually got lower than the AAB required for Manchester? Or anyone who got a place for Optometry through clearing?

Thank you!!
Original post by I<3Gul

UCAS sent mine off on 20th October. I got my Aston offer on 8th November. So just under 3 weeks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
[QUOTE="britchick;34916484"]
Original post by I<3Gul

QUOTE]

UCAS sent mine off on 20th October. I got my Aston offer on 8th November. So just under 3 weeks :smile:

Thankyou! I was getting a little edgy so called them up and they said they had until march to do it which altho true made me die a little inside he he Im so impatient :colondollar: I sent mine off 27th so hopefully will get something from them soon..
Original post by Fardip
Hey!! Lol that's jokes.. We'll all see each other there at Manchester on the same day.. Well done to you guys though! :biggrin:

Well, I'm afraid only Rosi M can answer that question, so hopefully she'll get back to us and give us some advice.. :wink:

What are you guys gonna wear? December is not far away lol

I only got an email, it didn't show up on Ucas track.. :s-smilie:

I believe its an individual interview. And I've heard they sometimes give you a maths test. If you don't do maths a level but do, let's say, chemistry they give a calculations question.

Well for bradford I'm going smart and it isn't even that formal, so I'm pulling out my immense blazer from Zara and then maybe a shirt and pencil skirt? As a girl, I take interview outfits very seriously :tongue:

If you go to the optometry 2011 applicants thread then go to the page where there interviews would have been you can see what they said :tongue:
Original post by Rosi M

Hey ! I've been doing retinoscopy in work! (im a 2012 applicant but am a Saturday girl at an opticians) i did a perfect refraction the other day! Although to be fair the patient didn't have an astigmatism so it was pretty straight forward. How are you finding it? Have you been using the opthalmoscope yet? I suck at that. I hope uni actually shows you how coz I can only see a red blob :L

Anyway! I got an interview at Manchester today!! It's not far away so just asking for any tips :tongue: and also what you wore haha without that sounding incredibly stalkerish

Taa
Congrats to anyone with interviews.

Fingers crossed I get one. :/
Reply 198
i got an interview at manchester :smile: , are only short listed candidates interviewed btw?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GThiarra1
i got an interview at manchester :smile: , are only short listed candidates interviewed btw?

Presumably.
And if there's a shortfall they'll probably make it up with other people

Anyway. Got an acknowledgement from Glasgow this afternoon, about time!

Quick Reply

Latest