The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by britchick

Whaaat?! What did you get in your 4th AS level? I've been given the entry requirements of A*AA, even though I got a B in my 4th AS level, which is higher than the C they ask for on their website in order to qualify for the AAB entry requirements... Does City hate me? :frown:

i got an A in my fourth As level nd 3Bs in the rest that i carried on to A2 :smile:
Hy does anyone know how to add an extra choice to UCAS after it has been sent?:confused:.
I have 1 choice left and want too add bradford as my fifth choice x

Please help !!!!:biggrin:
Oh I see! I was going to apply for OD at City or Anglia Ruskin but decided against it in the end. I wasn't sure about doing 2-3 years in OD to then do 3 years in Optometry, instead I might just take a year out, re-sit some modules then re-apply if my grades fail me :P
I didn't look into OD at Glasgow though, how many years is it there?

And thanks! Good luck with your application :biggrin: x

OD 3 years and optom 4 years in glasgow x
Original post by small'un
Not had an acknowledgement from Aston and my application was sent off about a week and a half ago :/

same here, and i wanted Aston as my firm :frown:
Original post by tina_1517
haha that's exactly what i'm like now! ahhh cool i'm pretty much the same as you i'm predicted psychology A*, biology A and chemistry B....my chem predicted is sooo annoying because i was only a couple of marks off an A but my college is stupid :frown:

ahh cool, is Anglia Ruskin any good? i couldn't go to their open day :frown: ohh right yeah i would've thought you get one from Plymouth?! they've just started the optom course aswell, but i guess it's no loss to you :smile:
omg that's so exciting for you, i really hope i get some offers!

:fyi: anglia ruskin open day this saturday
Reply 245
Original post by hannahmac4
My school finally sent off my UCAS form at 10.30 by 5.00 today I already had 2 acknowledgements. Both from Glasgow.:biggrin:
Now need to apply to bradford as fifth choice, anyone no how?:confused:
Gonna wait a few days cos if lucky enough to get interview I could b asked to go on 23/11 and that's my mums bday and don't want to miss that x

Well done to every1 with all your amazing offers:biggrin: x

sorry, don't know how to add the 5th choice after you've sent it, but just saying that some of us have the interview thing at Bradford on the 24th not the 23rd, so if they do invite you on the 23rd I'm sure you could phone up and ask to come on the 24th so you don't miss your mums bday! :biggrin: good luck with your application btw :smile:
Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool
same here, and i wanted Aston as my firm :frown:

hey! :smile: When I was waiting for my decision and called up they said they didn't do acknowledgments :smile: I have since got my offer so ye me thinks you shouldn't pin your hopes on getting one but pray that you do he he
Hope that puts your mind to rest a little.. It took me and my friend just under 3 weeks to hear from them..
Original post by hannahmac4
Hy does anyone know how to add an extra choice to UCAS after it has been sent?:confused:.
I have 1 choice left and want too add bradford as my fifth choice x

Please help !!!!:biggrin:

I said it in a previous post -

And to add another choice:

Log into Track (using the 10-digit Personal ID number that comes up in bold when you log into Apply, just remove the dashes in between - however if it doesn't let you log in, your ID may have changed and you'll have to wait for your new ID to come in the UCAS letter in the post).

If you can log in, click "choices" at the top middle.
Then click "add choice" at the bottom left.

Then follow instructions from there.
Reply 248
Hi everyone, new to TSR, here is how I currently stand :smile:
For AS levels got;
Business - A
Chemistry - B
Maths - B
Physics - C (Retaking one module to boost to a B)

Carrying Maths, Chem and Physics to A2

I am applying to the 5 uni's that didn't require Biology, and my first choice is ARU :smile: My brother is an Optom and went there and qualified from his pre-reg this year and works locally, he was offered 7 jobs after his pre-reg!

Yet to get any offers, my UCAS is meant to be sent off in the next few days (Tutor needs to add the statements!)

Now just got to put the work in the get that ABB!
Reply 249
Kinda annoyed with city for offering A*AA even though I have a B for my 4th AS :mad: emailed them too but no reply :frown:
Reply 250
Original post by Ark1
Kinda annoyed with city for offering A*AA even though I have a B for my 4th AS :mad: emailed them too but no reply :frown:

wow! i got offered an AAB by them even though i got a C in AS biology.. hopefully they'll be a bit lenient towards you, ouchy though
Original post by I<3Gul
hey! :smile: When I was waiting for my decision and called up they said they didn't do acknowledgments :smile: I have since got my offer so ye me thinks you shouldn't pin your hopes on getting one but pray that you do he he
Hope that puts your mind to rest a little.. It took me and my friend just under 3 weeks to hear from them..

Oh I thought they did acknowledgements and was getting worried..
I sent my ucas off on the 4th so it's been 2 weeks now... I REALLY hope I get a reply soon (fingers crossed!)
Reply 252
Original post by Salmaa!
wow! i got offered an AAB by them even though i got a C in AS biology.. hopefully they'll be a bit lenient towards you, ouchy though

That's the thing though at AS I got ABBBD and I was predicted A* in maths A in Physics and B in biology and still ended up giving me an A*AA offer :frown: I phoned them first but they were really rude and told me to email them with proof of my B in my other AS so I did... But that was two weeks ago and no reply :confused:
Reply 253
Original post by Ark1
That's the thing though at AS I got ABBBD and I was predicted A* in maths A in Physics and B in biology and still ended up giving me an A*AA offer :frown: I phoned them first but they were really rude and told me to email them with proof of my B in my other AS so I did... But that was two weeks ago and no reply :confused:

jeez you took 5 subjects and got those grades, well done! I got ABBC so you beat me even with 5 subjects :tongue: and A*AA is ridiculous to ask for Optometry, Manchester's only asking for an AAB too; then again I'm asian-british so I guess Uni's have to fill their quotas for students within the ethnic minorities n w/e. I'm definitely rejecting my City offer though so hopefully more chance for you!
Reply 254
Original post by Salmaa!
jeez you took 5 subjects and got those grades, well done! I got ABBC so you beat me even with 5 subjects :tongue: and A*AA is ridiculous to ask for Optometry, Manchester's only asking for an AAB too; then again I'm asian-british so I guess Uni's have to fill their quotas for students within the ethnic minorities n w/e. I'm definitely rejecting my City offer though so hopefully more chance for you!

Haha thank you :smile: I agree it's ridiculous to ask for A*AA for optometry (my brain can't handle this workload! lol :P) I'm Asian-British too so maybe it's an Asian thing :wink:
I'll be happy to take your offer lol wanna trade for any of mine? :P
Reply 255
Original post by Ark1
Haha thank you :smile: I agree it's ridiculous to ask for A*AA for optometry (my brain can't handle this workload! lol :P) I'm Asian-British too so maybe it's an Asian thing :wink:
I'll be happy to take your offer lol wanna trade for any of mine? :P

haha, for more A*AA offers **** that i'll keep mine :P ive got an interview at manchester on the 14th so if that goes well then hopefuly thats the one for me, and if thats the case just make em some dahl and your in :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 256
Has anyone heard from Cardiff yet?
Reply 257
Original post by moehuch
Hello eh,

I am from Canada hoping to apply to AR, Cardiff, Aston, Manchester, and Bradford for optometry. I have been working at an optical for the last couple of years and shadowing an Optometrist for the last couple of months. I graduated highschool in 2009 and got my OSSD with an Ontario Scholar standing and got an 81% avg for my top 6 courses. I am now completing my BSc degree in april from Ryerson University averaging 65% (C+). I failed Organic chemistry last year (not affecting me from graduating), but I am doing well this year. I am getting a good letter of rec. from my university physics professor (aced the course). I have good volunteer hours and good work experience. I am going to send in my application through UCAS by next week.

What are my chances of being accepted, and any tips for an international? :smile: and the best school for Canadians?

Do I have to show my Bachelor of Science degree or can I just show my OSSD? Will they require my transcripts and how can I attach them to UCAS

thanks

Heyyy there are three Canadians boys in my year,I think they all like it at Manchester!
Reply 258
Hey sorry to be a pain but this is amazing to talk to someone who actually studies Optometry! It seems like a mysterious subject that no one seems to take, yet there are so many applicants it's like, where do you all come from? o.O
Would you mind possibly answering a few questions I have? Thank youuu!

- What were you predicted at A-level, and in which subjects?
- Was Manchester your firm choice? If so, what was your insurance?
- What did you actually achieve at A-level i.e. did you meet your predicted grades?
- Do you know of anyone on your course who actually got lower than the AAB required for Manchester? Or anyone who got a place for Optometry through clearing?

Thank you!!

Haha I know what you mean, I used to think last year where on earth are all the Optom students?!
I was predicted AAA in biology chemistry psychology. I was confident I'd get an A* in psychology because I had good marks there, missed it by 1 ums and sent it for remark too but came back the same!! :frown:
Manchester was my firm choice and Bradford are very lenient with you so I made them my insurance.
I got AAB. Chemistry A, Psycho A, Biology B.
I've explained the whole biology chem grade thing on this in earlier posts.
Ermm no I don't think so. AAB, only a few of us have. Rest are all A* people and Manchester optometry Is never in clearing. It actually goes to voicemail on results day!!
Hope that answers your questions.
The main thing is get your grades. You'll get offers but that doesn't mean your In. A2 is hard and it's a big climb, make sure you all get your grades because that's the most important thing.
Reply 259
Original post by Fardip
Wow, you make it look like Optom is gonna be more pressurised! I get what you mean though.. :biggrin: lol I can imagine that, have you got more spare time at Optom or at A-levels? And would you carry on completing the Moptom?

Oh that's not long, the 3rd year Optom guy in the open day said his one was half an hour. He said they ask a lot to see how well you communicate and that. Guess that question they asked you was directly asking it. lol

lol Chemistry A2 is no way near fun, it's bloody torture lol, I doubt I'd get an A for that. You must have smashed the A2 exams. :P

Lol thanks, it's nothing special really.. :wink:

It's alot of work! And unlike other courses where the first year doesn't count towards degree, first year counts in Optom!

Chemistry is beyond torture! I still cringe thinking of it. Good luck :P
I'm sure you'll get an A in that :smile:
Yeah A2 exams went well thankfully :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest