The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Greetings,

It's impressive to see so many applicants successfully enter university. I am very adamant about following suit but I have many concerns:

1. How do most students view International students on campus?

2. My choices are: Bradford, Aston, GC, Ulster and Manchester (random selection).

3. As you can see from above, I'm not certain about anything related to the UK. I just know this is something that I want to do so any feedback/interview questions would be much appreciated.

I'm adamant about meeting some or all of you when I enter the UK next year. :smile:
Reply 261
Original post by Jodieeee....
Hey ! I've been doing retinoscopy in work! (im a 2012 applicant but am a Saturday girl at an opticians) i did a perfect refraction the other day! Although to be fair the patient didn't have an astigmatism so it was pretty straight forward. How are you finding it? Have you been using the opthalmoscope yet? I suck at that. I hope uni actually shows you how coz I can only see a red blob :L

Anyway! I got an interview at Manchester today!! It's not far away so just asking for any tips :tongue: and also what you wore haha without that sounding incredibly stalkerish

Taa

They allowed you to do ret? How?! I mean i didnt even know how to do ret till my first session last week!
Yeah, its wierd when they have astigmatism, and hyperopes are wierd too. Haha i sound like an awful optom, im good really :P
Ret is really good, we did it first on model eye then slowly on human real eye which is hard i think cos pupil is tiny and you have to really pay attention.
Nope, they introduce us to opthalmoscopy at the end of year 1, we properly do it in year 2. Cant wait for that. of course uni show you! I tried shining the opthalmoscope on my partners eye but none of us knew what we were doing and we got told to put it away :P

Well done on your interview :smile:
Ermmm i dressed formally, and so did everyone i saw over there. Just wear blouse, smart pants then a cardi or blazer or something on top. Make sure you know your personal statement WELL, be prepared to talk about it, look through your statement and think of possible questions they could ask. My interviewer had parts highlighted which freaked me out at the start but it wasnt too bad. Some guys who applied for 2011, got asked some wierd maths questions that they were all complaining about but i dont think i did, my interviewer was obsessed with work experience and communication. Its not too bad, just get the grades! :P
Reply 262
just got my first offer from Anglia Ruskin YAY :smile: motivation
Reply 263
Hey guys.. Started a stalking page so please edit and fill in your details.. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Optometry_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry
Reply 264
Original post by tina_1517
just got my first offer from Anglia Ruskin YAY :smile: motivation

when did you send your UCAS application off?
Reply 265
Original post by user3456
when did you send your UCAS application off?

15th november :smile:
Any help for my interview in 2 days? Please? :smile:
Original post by Conjunctivitis
Any help for my interview in 2 days? Please? :smile:

Just be calm is the main thing IMO; if you are, the rest will follow.
Where is your interview? Manchester? If so, make sure you know your statement inside-out, they're fond of really digging into it from what I gather.
And I'd make sure you know about glaucoma etc, just in case.
Original post by Fardip
Hey guys.. Started a stalking page so please edit and fill in your details.. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Optometry_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry

i've updated it with tables and such. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
People can now update the wiki with offers/rejections and applications!

Either update the wiki itself, be careful plz (follow the layout of the poster above you on the wiki) :tongue: or post in this format below and I'll update the wiki for you:

TSR username:
Date application sent:
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades):

Interviews:
Offers:
Rejections:
Still Waiting for reply:

Your decisions:

Original post by I<3Gul
x

Original post by hpsauce07
x

Original post by Fardip
x

Original post by small'un
x

Original post by Salmaa!
x

Original post by britchick
x

Original post by ravsingh
x

Original post by GThiarra1
x

Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
x

Original post by hannahmac4
x

Original post by tina_1517
x

x

Original post by user3456
x

Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool
x

Original post by schaitel
x

Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool
x

Original post by blackjenny2006
x

Original post by infinite_nigma
x

Original post by Jodieeee....
x

sorry if i missed you out :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
!

Too scared to update anything myself, so;

TSR username: TheWorldEndsWithMe
Date application sent: 20th October
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades): Predicted ABB (or AAB, I'm not sure what my Economics teacher predicted)

Interviews: N/A (yet, hopefully)
Offers: Anglia Ruskin - ABB
Rejections: N/A
Still Waiting for reply: Manchester (although acknowledged), Ulster, Glasgow (acknowledged)

Your decisions: N/A
eek bradford applicant interview open day thing tomorrow and I can't help but feel a little nervous.. I want it to be my insurance choice so an offer is very much appreciated yespleasethankyou he he
Reply 272
People can now update the wiki with offers/rejections and applications!

Either update the wiki itself, be careful plz (follow the layout of the poster above you on the wiki) :tongue: or post in this format below and I'll update the wiki for you:

TSR username:
Date application sent:
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades):

Interviews:
Offers:
Rejections:
Still Waiting for reply:

Your decisions:

sorry if i missed you out :redface:

Thanks man!! I was hoping someone to make it better.. :smile:
Reply 273
!!

TSR username: ravsingh
Date application sent: 20/10/11
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades): predicted A* A* A*

Interviews:
Bradford - 23/11/11
Manchester - 14/12/11
Offers:
Cardiff - AAA
Aston - AAA
City - A*AA

Your decisions: n/a

good idea! and good luck to anyone who's also going to the bradford open day interview thing tomorrow :smile:
Original post by ravsingh
TSR username: ravsingh
Date application sent: 20/10/11
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades): predicted A* A* A*

Interviews:
Bradford - 23/11/11
Manchester - 14/12/11
Offers:
Cardiff - AAA
Aston - AAA
City - A*AA

Your decisions: n/a

good idea! and good luck to anyone who's also going to the bradford open day interview thing tomorrow :smile:

updated! good luck for tomorrow :biggrin:
Too scared to update anything myself, so;

TSR username: TheWorldEndsWithMe
Date application sent: 20th October
Predicted/acheived grades (state if predicted or achieved alongside grades): Predicted ABB (or AAB, I'm not sure what my Economics teacher predicted)

Interviews: N/A (yet, hopefully)
Offers: Anglia Ruskin - ABB
Rejections: N/A
Still Waiting for reply: Manchester (although acknowledged), Ulster, Glasgow (acknowledged)

Your decisions: N/A

updated!
Just be calm is the main thing IMO; if you are, the rest will follow.
Where is your interview? Manchester? If so, make sure you know your statement inside-out, they're fond of really digging into it from what I gather.
And I'd make sure you know about glaucoma etc, just in case.

Yeah actually they sent me an offer (Bradford) for an interview. Then, a conditional offer from Manchester (which I've met the conditions for as an Int'l student). Do you know anything about this program? Is this the "it" place to attend in the UK? :confused:
Reply 277
Yeah actually they sent me an offer (Bradford) for an interview. Then, a conditional offer from Manchester (which I've met the conditions for as an Int'l student). Do you know anything about this program? Is this the "it" place to attend in the UK? :confused:

Manchester all the way! :biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

Manchester and Cardiff would probably be regarded as the best as they're pretty well respected universities (Manchester especially). Tbh I can't tell you anything about Bradford, because I haven't applied there and haven't looked at the uni at all.
Manchester and Cardiff would probably be regarded as the best as they're pretty well respected universities (Manchester especially). Tbh I can't tell you anything about Bradford, because I haven't applied there and haven't looked at the uni at all.

Manchester trumped christ church oxford the other day in university challenge :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest