The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by britchick
I got AABD (in Biology, Psychology, English Lit and Physics respectively) at AS-levels too, and I'm predicted A*AB (in Psychology, Biology, Physics respectively). What did you get the D in?

I'm re-submitting my English AS coursework because I was overall 2 marks off an A, so hopefully I will be able to bump my AS levels to AAAD, and then I'm also re-sitting at least one Physics paper too. My first choice uni will be AR so I'll need ABB with AB in my two core sciences. Now that I've received the offer I'm more motivated now :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Hey! :smile:

lol I got a D in ICT, was only 3 UMS from a C.. Was well pissed off 'cause a D just looks bad on your Ucas.. lol I dropped it though.. Doing Bio/Chem/Maths now and got A for Bio/Maths and predicted A* for Maths and AA for Chem/Bio.

What uni's are you applying? Have you been to AR? Why is AR your first choice?
My first is between Cardiff/Aston and Manchester.. Did anyone apply for the Moptom at Manchester??

Good luck to everyone too!! Got an offer for AR! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 41
i'm applying for optometry at manchester, aston, city, cardiff and anglia ruskin but my college are really slow with references and sending UCAS applications off! i'm worried this will lessen my chances of getting offers :frown:

my AS grades are ABBB (psychology, biology, chemistry and maths)
my predicted grades are A*AB (psychology, biology, chemistry)
Original post by Fardip
Hey! :smile:

lol I got a D in ICT, was only 3 UMS from a C.. Was well pissed off 'cause a D just looks bad on your Ucas.. lol I dropped it though.. Doing Bio/Chem/Maths now and got A for Bio/Maths and predicted A* for Maths and AA for Chem/Bio.

What uni's are you applying? Have you been to AR? Why is AR your first choice?
My first is between Cardiff/Aston and Manchester.. Did anyone apply for the Moptom at Manchester??

Good luck to everyone too!! Got an offer for AR! :biggrin::biggrin:

I was the same, I was 1 raw mark off a C overall in Physics, and got a re-mark because I knew how bad a D looks, but it went down 4 raw marks! Was so incredibly annoyed. But I gotta keep it as a subject.

I'm applying for
Anglia Ruskin
Aston
City
Manchester
Plymouth

And I'm so happy about having an offer for AR because it's my first choice - when I went to the open day back in February I simply fell in LOVE with it, it's so lovely. And its entry requirements are most realistic for me, because all the others require an two As in your sciences, but I'm predicted AB in mine so it works out well.

I was thinking of applying to the MOptom at Manchester but I was reading through the Manchester prospectus for either 2011 or 2012 entry and it said you should apply for the BSc, and you apply for the MOptom while in your second year.

I heard somewhere that the MOptom course only allows 4 or so students to do the course? And its the only uni in the UK to offer a masters so I really hope that's not true... Don't know where I heard that, on the internet, at an open day?
Reply 43
Original post by britchick
I was the same, I was 1 raw mark off a C overall in Physics, and got a re-mark because I knew how bad a D looks, but it went down 4 raw marks! Was so incredibly annoyed. But I gotta keep it as a subject.

I'm applying for
Anglia Ruskin
Aston
City
Manchester
Plymouth

And I'm so happy about having an offer for AR because it's my first choice - when I went to the open day back in February I simply fell in LOVE with it, it's so lovely. And its entry requirements are most realistic for me, because all the others require an two As in your sciences, but I'm predicted AB in mine so it works out well.

I was thinking of applying to the MOptom at Manchester but I was reading through the Manchester prospectus for either 2011 or 2012 entry and it said you should apply for the BSc, and you apply for the MOptom while in your second year.

I heard somewhere that the MOptom course only allows 4 or so students to do the course? And its the only uni in the UK to offer a masters so I really hope that's not true... Don't know where I heard that, on the internet, at an open day?

Awh that's deep.. Oh well.. At least you still got in AR! :smile:

Oh that's good.. I'm gonna go AR next month on the 19th. lol Yeah it's true. I think at the end, i'll get ABB in my A-levels.

Yeah I went to Manchester's open day and asked about it. They said they do the only Master's for Optom in the UK unfortunately. And applying to the Moptom doesn't really matter now, what they do is that they collect all applicants for Moptom and the Bsc and just make offers for the Bsc. If you wanna do the Moptom, in your second year, only up to 6 top students in the Bsc will go into year 3 of Moptom. But then I asked current students that they prefer the Bsc because you still have to pay tuition fees. And the Moptom is mainly designed for students who wish to work in a Hospital based location rather then private practice.

So overall, it doesn't really matter if you apply for the Moptom or Bsc in Ucas, you'd still end up doing the Bsc in the first year. But then I don't get the point that you can apply for the Moptom. lol
Reply 44
Hi everyone :smile:
thought i'd join in the optometry talk lol sent my ucas off last week and now I keep checking my e-mail and track every 30 seconds! aargh lool
and Fardip, thanks for that because I applied for the MOptom course at Manchester and got really scared when I found out there's only a couple of places! haha :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by ravsingh
Hi everyone :smile:
thought i'd join in the optometry talk lol sent my ucas off last week and now I keep checking my e-mail and track every 30 seconds! aargh lool
and Fardip, thanks for that because I applied for the MOptom course at Manchester and got really scared when I found out there's only a couple of places! haha :tongue:

lol Hey.. Good luck with your Ucas.. :wink:

Where did you apply?

Lol don't worry about the MOptom.. It's nothing for now really.. Only once you get into Manchester for Optometry.. :smile:
Reply 46
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa do you think i stand a chance for optom if i haven't sent my application off yet but should be in the next couple of weeks and am predicted BB B/C?

any help would be appreciated!
Reply 47
Original post by Fardip
lol Hey.. Good luck with your Ucas.. :wink:

Where did you apply?

Lol don't worry about the MOptom.. It's nothing for now really.. Only once you get into Manchester for Optometry.. :smile:

thank you! good luck to you too :smile:

erm I've applied to:
manchester
aston
cardiff
city uni london
bradford :biggrin:
yourself?

and yeahh, doubt I'll get in to manchester tbh :/
Sister does this at cardiff, meant to be the best in the country and she has loved her course, 3rd year now. Good luck all
Reply 49
Original post by ravsingh
thank you! good luck to you too :smile:

erm I've applied to:
manchester
aston
cardiff
city uni london
bradford :biggrin:
yourself?

and yeahh, doubt I'll get in to manchester tbh :/

I applied for:

Manchester
Cardiff
Anglia Ruskin
Bradford

:smile: What about your predictions/subjects and AS results?

Yeah I asked them how many people apply, they said about 600 and there are about 80 places and they give 200-300 offers. Same as Bradford. I duno bout the rest lol :s-smilie:
Original post by user3456
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa do you think i stand a chance for optom if i haven't sent my application off yet but should be in the next couple of weeks and am predicted BB B/C?

any help would be appreciated!

The unis have to give fair and equal consideration to you as long as they revive your application by Jan 15th, so don't worry!

Anglia Ruskin might be the only place to give you an offer, I'm afraid. They're ABB entry, the rest are AAB or even higher. Then again this is just my opinion. I think you might struggle with those predictions though, since you're at least one grade in a subject off. If your PS is really good you might have a shot though!
Reply 51
thanks for replying! yeaaaaah had a bad year last year :frown: just soooooo hoping i get in iA to city!!
thanks for replying! yeaaaaah had a bad year last year :frown: just soooooo hoping i get in iA to city!!

(if you quote me as you reply I'll probBly reply faster, just so you know).

I just had a look at City's entry requirements and it said 380 points. That's A*AA. I don't know if city will even consider you if you're predicted BBB, since there's such a huge difference. :/

Although I hear City ends up in clearing fairly often, so if you pull it together and get the grades you might get in that way.

But, and I'm only trying to be honest (I don't mean to be rude at ALL), I don't think you'll get an offer from them with those grades unless your PS is amazing and your teacher references are good too.
Reply 53
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
(if you quote me as you reply I'll probBly reply faster, just so you know).

I just had a look at City's entry requirements and it said 380 points. That's A*AA. I don't know if city will even consider you if you're predicted BBB, since there's such a huge difference. :/

Although I hear City ends up in clearing fairly often, so if you pull it together and get the grades you might get in that way.

But, and I'm only trying to be honest (I don't mean to be rude at ALL), I don't think you'll get an offer from them with those grades unless your PS is amazing and your teacher references are good too.

hey no not at all! genuinely appreciate your feedback so much yeah its entry requirements are A*AA or AAB with at least a C in a 4th AS level, i recieved BBCC in AS, (2 c's in bio and chem and b's in geog and spanish) and teachers are predicting haaaaaaaarsh to cover their own backs but yeah TRIED to make my ps "amazing" haaaa and hoping they take GCSE's into account... lol are you applying this year as well?
Reply 54
p.s just stalked you congrats on your offer from anglia ruskin!
p.s just stalked you congrats on your offer from anglia ruskin!

Haha, thanks. :smile:

Yeahhh, I'm applying this year to:
Manchester
AR
Glasgow Cal
Ulster
And Liverpool (for Orthoptics as my back-up).

Your PS is probably fine though, don't worry. :smile:

You got the same at AS as I did, haha. BBCC, (Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry) and I'm predicted either AAB or ABB. (Maths, Econ, Bio).
Reply 56
Haha, thanks. :smile:

Yeahhh, I'm applying this year to:
Manchester
AR
Glasgow Cal
Ulster
And Liverpool (for Orthoptics as my back-up).

Your PS is probably fine though, don't worry. :smile:

You got the same at AS as I did, haha. BBCC, (Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry) and I'm predicted either AAB or ABB. (Maths, Econ, Bio).

hahaha owwwwh same AS better predicted! lol well done and ulster?? isn't that like in ireland! btw you know you said uni's have to give you equal consideration as long as you apply by jan 15th, does that like REALLY apply cos my friend from last year applied to optom in city end of october and got an offer by end of november?
hahaha owwwwh same AS better predicted! lol well done and ulster?? isn't that like in ireland! btw you know you said uni's have to give you equal consideration as long as you apply by jan 15th, does that like REALLY apply cos my friend from last year applied to optom in city end of october and got an offer by end of november?

Yeah, it's in Northern Ireland. I live there, see. :smile: There's only two unis in our part of the UK and one does Optom, so I thought may as well.

And yeah, they do. If you're good enough and don't apply until the deadline, but someone else at the same skill applied before you, they're supposed to give you BOTH offers if they're offering one of you (if that makes sense). Thing is though, they offer way more people than they actually have places so they're able to offer as peoples applications come through. Just the way it is. But be assured that you WILL still get offers even if you apply later than I have or than some of the others on this thread have. :smile:
ucas just sent:

city, cardiff, AR(as some people refer to it in this thread :P), Aston

A-levels achieved: A*AB

waiting on these offers :colone:
Reply 59
Yeah, it's in Northern Ireland. I live there, see. :smile: There's only two unis in our part of the UK and one does Optom, so I thought may as well.

And yeah, they do. If you're good enough and don't apply until the deadline, but someone else at the same skill applied before you, they're supposed to give you BOTH offers if they're offering one of you (if that makes sense). Thing is though, they offer way more people than they actually have places so they're able to offer as peoples applications come through. Just the way it is. But be assured that you WILL still get offers even if you apply later than I have or than some of the others on this thread have. :smile:

oooooh! thanks you i didnt know that! and Ulster is probably your number one choice then! Thanks for all your help!! :biggrin: p.s another question:colondollar: you know when you've like completed your UCAS and are sending it to your referee like how do you do that do you pay first and stuff or :s-smilie::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Quick Reply

Latest