The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jodieeee....
Hey guys!!
So ... results day.
Good or bad?
mine was much better than I thought so I think i'm fine as long as the summer goes just as well!

Mediocre at best. :/
Brought C1 up to an A, so I'm sitting on 235 UMS marks from AS modules. This is with a c in the M1 module. :rolleyes: My stats'll make up for that though; mechanics is ridiculously hard to me but stats is very very easy.

Brought biology modules 1 and 2 up a grade to b and c respectively, bringing my overall grade for AS up to a B.

Failed M1 repeat, failed Econ3.

Trying to decide whether or not to even bother accepting any offers.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Mediocre at best. :/
Brought C1 up to an A, so I'm sitting on 235 UMS marks from AS modules. This is with a c in the M1 module. :rolleyes: My stats'll make up for that though; mechanics is ridiculously hard to me but stats is very very easy.

Brought biology modules 1 and 2 up a grade to b and c respectively, bringing my overall grade for AS up to a B.

Failed M1 repeat, failed Econ3.

Trying to decide whether or not to even bother accepting any offers.

I dont do mechanics but i do find stats much easier, i just got my S2 back and it was the exact same as S1 :L
I'm in the same boat with you for bio, except i got a high b in module 2 retake and i'm redoing module one as i got a c in the summer. Biology is my weak one, there's no way i'll get an A but i thought i may aswell accept Cardiff, even though they want an A I may get lucky. fingers crossed :s-smilie:
No one got above a C for people doing economics (i dont take it, i just heard), even someone that gets straight A*'s going to oxford for Economics got a D so i have no idea what happened with that! Theyre all appealing apparently

how many exams do you have in the summer?
I dont do mechanics but i do find stats much easier, i just got my S2 back and it was the exact same as S1 :L
I'm in the same boat with you for bio, except i got a high b in module 2 retake and i'm redoing module one as i got a c in the summer. Biology is my weak one, there's no way i'll get an A but i thought i may aswell accept Cardiff, even though they want an A I may get lucky. fingers crossed :s-smilie:
No one got above a C for people doing economics (i dont take it, i just heard), even someone that gets straight A*'s going to oxford for Economics got a D so i have no idea what happened with that! Theyre all appealing apparently

how many exams do you have in the summer?

See, if I was doing S1 and S2 I'd be doing much, much better in maths. But no. My school is stupid and only lets you do M1 and S1 (what I'm doing), or M1 and M2. It's idiotic.

My economics is probably a different board to to yours though, we're on CCEA. And it's strange, half my class did really well (high A's), and the rest of us got d's or worse. It's just.... very strange.
Reply 623
Hey guys!!
So ... results day.
Good or bad?
mine was much better than I thought so I think i'm fine as long as the summer goes just as well!

Really happy!! :smile: managed to get all A's in the 6 exams i had in january!! I retook bio unit 2 and managed to go up 29 ums when i needed 13 more to make my AS up to an A! so pleased with that, and unit 4 went well too! :smile: all looking good for A's for cardiff just as long as nothing drastic happens in june!

Hope you are pleased with yours! :smile:x
Reply 624
See, if I was doing S1 and S2 I'd be doing much, much better in maths. But no. My school is stupid and only lets you do M1 and S1 (what I'm doing), or M1 and M2. It's idiotic.

Our college does this, i got an E in mechanics :/ might just leave it and hope to get an A when resitting C2 and C3 and an A in C4 and hopefully it wont matter...
Reply 625
Hey, hoping for anyone to give me any advice?

I am in year 12 and hoping to apply for optometry in 2013, in my jan exams i got C in maths, c in chemistry and a B in Biology. I know these grades are not good enought therefore i was wondering do any of you know if you do life science with a foundation year at manchester then can you go to their optometry course.
Also were these grades what you got in your first exams, any tips on to improve. Also does resists affect your application.
Wet to ulster today. Was okay.
Am probably going to put AR first though; it's a slightly larger class size and in a better location IMO.

I've put AR as my firm :biggrin:
Has anyone heard from Glasgow yet?

Sarah
Original post by med123
Hey, hoping for anyone to give me any advice?

I am in year 12 and hoping to apply for optometry in 2013, in my jan exams i got C in maths, c in chemistry and a B in Biology. I know these grades are not good enought therefore i was wondering do any of you know if you do life science with a foundation year at manchester then can you go to their optometry course.
Also were these grades what you got in your first exams, any tips on to improve. Also does resists affect your application.

I can't help you on the Manchester side of things. But regarding grades, I was pretty much in your position last March.
Wanted to go into Optometry since I was 14. Then I get a C in Biology (although 2 marks off a B) and I thought my life was actually over!!
January exams are the worst, because its either your first go at AS or your first go at A2.
Everytime I told my head of sixth I need 3A's, i just knew he thought I was joking.... but 5 offers later here i am :smile:

My only advice would be is if you want this just ignore what anyone says and just work your ass off. it'll pay off. I was predicted an E in maths last year.... and currently I have 3 A*s and 1 B in my modules...
Past papers should be your life. they have helped me so much!! Resits dont matter to any Uni. Manchester dont like it if you take A Levels over 3 years but thats it.
hope my essay helped!
Original post by hpsauce07
Really happy!! :smile: managed to get all A's in the 6 exams i had in january!! I retook bio unit 2 and managed to go up 29 ums when i needed 13 more to make my AS up to an A! so pleased with that, and unit 4 went well too! :smile: all looking good for A's for cardiff just as long as nothing drastic happens in june!

Hope you are pleased with yours! :smile:x

Whooaaa !! Cardiff will be putting out a red carpet when you show up then :P
I really hope I get in =[ =[
I think i got the highest in my year for maths (omgomgomgomg) but I got 4 marks off an A in my Bio Module 2 resit. Meh. Big difference from a D!!!!!!!! So i'm happy with that. I think I have to scrape D's in C3 and C4 maths to get an A so i'll just concentrate on everything else a tad more. Although an A* in maths would be lovely :P
let the revision commence!
Reply 630
Whooaaa !! Cardiff will be putting out a red carpet when you show up then :P
I really hope I get in =[ =[
I think i got the highest in my year for maths (omgomgomgomg) but I got 4 marks off an A in my Bio Module 2 resit. Meh. Big difference from a D!!!!!!!! So i'm happy with that. I think I have to scrape D's in C3 and C4 maths to get an A so i'll just concentrate on everything else a tad more. Although an A* in maths would be lovely :P
let the revision commence!

Oh i so hope i get the straight A's cardiff want!! so want to go there, i cant decide where to put as insurence though, city or anglia??

Well done!! going from D to nearly an A in bio is amazing! bet your happy :smile: and its nice to think you pretty much have the maths garenteed! I took my a level maths in a year, last year and just missed out on the A* bit annoyed but not going to bother to retake, an A is still good :smile: well done once again!
Original post by britchick
I've put AR as my firm :biggrin:

Oh cool!
Might see you there then come september.
Original post by sgoblin001
Has anyone heard from Glasgow yet?

Sarah

No not yet :frown:
Reply 633
Hi I'm thinking of applying for optimetry next year but got b in maths and chem and c in bio I'm hoping tht my maths will go up-to an a after resit and bio upto at least a b if not then a. Wanted to know Wht kind of grades do I need/what grades have you guys been offered??
Original post by hello13
Hi I'm thinking of applying for optimetry next year but got b in maths and chem and c in bio I'm hoping tht my maths will go up-to an a after resit and bio upto at least a b if not then a. Wanted to know Wht kind of grades do I need/what grades have you guys been offered??

Anglia Ruskin's typical offer is ABB
Glasgow Caley, Manchester, Bradford, Plymouth, Ulster and City's typical offers are AAB. (City only offers this if there is a c-grade AS science)
I THINK Cardiff and Aston want AAA.

I have BBCC at AS, but with resits I've come up to B(very close to an A)BBC. My predicted grades are ABB. I was offered ABB almost immediately by Anglia, I was offered AAB by Ulster a few weeks ago, Manchester rejected me without interview and I'm waiting on Glasgow.
Reply 635
Anglia Ruskin's typical offer is ABB
Glasgow Caley, Manchester, Bradford, Plymouth, Ulster and City's typical offers are AAB. (City only offers this if there is a c-grade AS science)
I THINK Cardiff and Aston want AAA.

I have BBCC at AS, but with resits I've come up to B(very close to an A)BBC. My predicted grades are ABB. I was offered ABB almost immediately by Anglia, I was offered AAB by Ulster a few weeks ago, Manchester rejected me without interview and I'm waiting on Glasgow.

I'm thinking of going to city or cardiff(coz I live here) but it's really hard to get into Cardiff. I'm hoping tht at the end of AS I get A in maths and economics and b in chem and bio with resits even though I'm gunna try get an A in bio but hopefully these grades will be good enough to get into any uni
Original post by hello13
I'm thinking of going to city or cardiff(coz I live here) but it's really hard to get into Cardiff. I'm hoping tht at the end of AS I get A in maths and economics and b in chem and bio with resits even though I'm gunna try get an A in bio but hopefully these grades will be good enough to get into any uni

Some places are pickier than others.
Some places want AA in two sciences and B in anything else. Some places just want AAB with two sciences thrown in somewhere, be they As or a B. It does depend from place to place and your best bet is to look at the prospectuses for each uni.
Reply 637
Some places are pickier than others.
Some places want AA in two sciences and B in anything else. Some places just want AAB with two sciences thrown in somewhere, be they As or a B. It does depend from place to place and your best bet is to look at the prospectuses for each uni.

Yeah I guess it's different for each uni, also I have looked at most unis and they accept welsh bacc so thts good coz it gives me 120 points which is equivalent to an A
Reply 638
I can't help you on the Manchester side of things. But regarding grades, I was pretty much in your position last March.
Wanted to go into Optometry since I was 14. Then I get a C in Biology (although 2 marks off a B) and I thought my life was actually over!!
January exams are the worst, because its either your first go at AS or your first go at A2.
Everytime I told my head of sixth I need 3A's, i just knew he thought I was joking.... but 5 offers later here i am :smile:

My only advice would be is if you want this just ignore what anyone says and just work your ass off. it'll pay off. I was predicted an E in maths last year.... and currently I have 3 A*s and 1 B in my modules...
Past papers should be your life. they have helped me so much!! Resits dont matter to any Uni. Manchester dont like it if you take A Levels over 3 years but thats it.
hope my essay helped!

Hiya thanks for the advice, what did u get in ur jan and june as exams if you dont mind. do the unis mind if you resit
Reply 639
firmed Manchester and used City as my insurance :smile: seriously hoping i get the grades for Manch!

Quick Reply

Latest