The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by med123
Hiya thanks for the advice, what did u get in ur jan and june as exams if you dont mind. do the unis mind if you resit

Last Jan I got a C in Bio mod 1, but a high C so i left it (although i'm now doing the resit this june simply for extra marks)
In the summer my overall grades were AACC - but this january i did a resit in Bio mod 2 which took my overal AS grade to a B (So AABC - dropped chemistry which was the C)
This jan I also did Maths which I got an A in so its really just my Biology to watch.
Forgive me if I've already told you some of these things. i'm very forgetful. but I hope i've helped anyway :smile:
Original post by hpsauce07
Oh i so hope i get the straight A's cardiff want!! so want to go there, i cant decide where to put as insurence though, city or anglia??

Well done!! going from D to nearly an A in bio is amazing! bet your happy :smile: and its nice to think you pretty much have the maths garenteed! I took my a level maths in a year, last year and just missed out on the A* bit annoyed but not going to bother to retake, an A is still good :smile: well done once again!

Anglia would be a comfy back up. Thats why I put Plymouth, I wouldnt like to live in my hometown, but they offered me a B in biology so I would be silly to withdraw.
Yeah I was chuffed :biggrin: especially coz I saw the overall grade go up to a B it was like ahhhh yeahh AAB at AS. Although now my parents think I can't get any lower than that so theyre like yeahhhh you'll definitely get in whether its your firm or insurance. its like NO i could fail A2 and stay as a year 14. something I dont want to do!
I'd like to have took maths last year, then i would have had 2 A levels left, but my exam in one of those is dead early so i would have finished the A level by the time we go on study leave so i'd only have Bio left. and in my position, that sounds great. oh well :P i'm secretly gonna go for the A* in maths only because i'll balance out tariff point wise if i do end up with my B in Biology. I dislike how OCR decides my future :P
Reply 642
Original post by Jodieeee....
Anglia would be a comfy back up. Thats why I put Plymouth, I wouldnt like to live in my hometown, but they offered me a B in biology so I would be silly to withdraw.
Yeah I was chuffed :biggrin: especially coz I saw the overall grade go up to a B it was like ahhhh yeahh AAB at AS. Although now my parents think I can't get any lower than that so theyre like yeahhhh you'll definitely get in whether its your firm or insurance. its like NO i could fail A2 and stay as a year 14. something I dont want to do!
I'd like to have took maths last year, then i would have had 2 A levels left, but my exam in one of those is dead early so i would have finished the A level by the time we go on study leave so i'd only have Bio left. and in my position, that sounds great. oh well :P i'm secretly gonna go for the A* in maths only because i'll balance out tariff point wise if i do end up with my B in Biology. I dislike how OCR decides my future :P

Plymoth offered me AB with the A in bio and B in further maths so i'm not considering them anymore as i want to put somewhere where i can get a B in bio just in case but looking at ums marks i should get an A fingers crossed!! agh! dont think i should say that!
Looks like you shall be fine, we all just have to keep on working and we will get where we want and meant to be!

OCR don't decide your future you do, and whats meant to be will be.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For i know the plans i have for you declares the lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future!" sorry if you're not christian but i love this verse! :smile:x
Reply 643
Can't believe i have just done that! Firmed cardiff and insured city! scarey stuff! looks like i am off to uni in september as long as i dont muck up june exams!! :smile:

Anyone else firmed cardiff yet?
Reply 644
Original post by hpsauce07

Anyone else firmed cardiff yet?

i dont know where to firm!!! :frown:
Reply 645
Does Manchester accept resits??
Reply 646
Original post by hello13
Does Manchester accept resits??

Hey there,
I'm, guessing they do.. because i know someone who is doing A2 year again.... and he's been given an offer from Manchester University, for Optom :smile:
Reply 647
Last Jan I got a C in Bio mod 1, but a high C so i left it (although i'm now doing the resit this june simply for extra marks)
In the summer my overall grades were AACC - but this january i did a resit in Bio mod 2 which took my overal AS grade to a B (So AABC - dropped chemistry which was the C)
This jan I also did Maths which I got an A in so its really just my Biology to watch.
Forgive me if I've already told you some of these things. i'm very forgetful. but I hope i've helped anyway :smile:

Hi
so unis dont care about re sits, so what were predicted grades for year 13. In maths did u go from a c to an A? Thanks for ur help am so grateful
You guys are doomed, DOOMED I TELLS YA.

Just kidding goodluck :smile:

-first year Optic.
Original post by Sammy94
Hey there,
I'm, guessing they do.. because i know someone who is doing A2 year again.... and he's been given an offer from Manchester University, for Optom :smile:

hmm interesting. I emailed them and asked and they said they dont accept people doing their A Levels over 3 years
Original post by med123
Hi
so unis dont care about re sits, so what were predicted grades for year 13. In maths did u go from a c to an A? Thanks for ur help am so grateful

Nope. They see it as if you get an A in a third attempt. you're still as smart as someone that got an A in a first attempt. because you both got the same grade. Which I think is good, coz you can just have an off day, or a really really bad paper that tested you on all of your weaker bits.
Plus optometry isn't really oversubscribed so I suppose they dont have to take it into consideration.
My predicted grades are AAB (B in Biology) and an a in extended project.
No I got 2 C's in Biology and Chemistry, but took the C in Biology to a high B this january. I got an A in maths last year, and got an A in my module of maths this January. Sorry it's all confusing. In future i'll specify what's an overall grade and what's a module :P
Original post by Killmepls
You guys are doomed, DOOMED I TELLS YA.

Just kidding goodluck :smile:

-first year Optic.

Where do you study?
Reply 652
hmm interesting. I emailed them and asked and they said they dont accept people doing their A Levels over 3 years

well.. i will tell you his situation. His first year he was in a college.. then he moved to another college the next year, and did AS again... and now he is in A2... that is three years right?...:confused:

i dont know.. I am sure he got offered for Optom though...
Anyways... Best of luck :smile:
Where do you study?

Aston :smile:
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Oh cool!
Might see you there then come september.

That would be awesome! I've applied for the Peter Taylor House accommodation, keep me updated with any AR news in your application :smile:
Original post by hello13
Hi I'm thinking of applying for optimetry next year but got b in maths and chem and c in bio I'm hoping tht my maths will go up-to an a after resit and bio upto at least a b if not then a. Wanted to know Wht kind of grades do I need/what grades have you guys been offered??

At AS I got AABD in Biology, Psychology, English Lit and Physics respectively.
I'm predicted A*AB in Psychology, Biology and Physics respectively. (note how for 8/9 optometry unis you need AA in your 2 core sciences, yet I'm only predicted AB in my 2 core sciences...)

I ended up with an offer from Aston (AAA), offer from City (AAB), offer from Anglia Ruskin (ABB) and an interview from Manchester (typically AAB). Was really surprised because even though I'd gotten a D at AS physics and was only going to be predicted a B at best, I still got offers from unis requiring an A in it... not quite sure how that worked, but it's obviously better than receiving no offers!

I think my non-academic parts of the application were really strong which must have really helped i.e. my personal statement, work experience etc. so just make sure yours is flawless and it may sway their decision.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by britchick
That would be awesome! I've applied for the Peter Taylor House accommodation, keep me updated with any AR news in your application :smile:

Will do.
Peter Taylor would be my first choice for housing, but it says full on the PDF. :/ Which is really stupid, how could that many people reply already?
Probably put it down anyway. Or Anatasia.
I'm finding it so flipping hand to motivate myself.
Any ideas? :/
I don't mind doing maths, like, at all, so at least one thing's good, I suppose. But a string of bad essays in economics and not really knowing how to fix it really knocks your confidence and now I have no motivation to do any work. And I just flipping hate biology more than any other subject that's ever existed because it's so boring!

Any ideas on how to fix, or am I just completely screwed, guys? :/
It's just, I've decided that I'm probably going to firm AR and I really want to get in.
Hey guys, after getting my 4 rejections for Medicine, I have decided to do Optometry instead. I did some work experience in an Opticians and I actually really enjoyed and I wouldn't mind doing for a career at all. The problem is that I've applied for City and got a conditional of A*AA. I'm a resit student and having just done my January Exams I've gone from a CCC to a BBB. I am planning to resit again but I don't know how possibly it will be for me to meet this offer. Being realistic I think I will manage an AAB or ABB in the summer exams if I work excruciatingly hard, which I intend to. I really want to go to City and I've seen on the Optometry Stalking page that quite a few people have been given the same offer as me so do you think I should firm it or decline it and apply for another Optometry course such as Anglia Ruskin or where they are much more lenient? Also, if I was to firm my City offer and get the AAB/ABB how lenient do you think City would be? Because it's currently in UCAS extra now and the past few years it's been in Clearing. What do you think? I'm really stuck on what to do now :/ I can't sort out my student finance either or go any further until I figure this out so I would really appreciate any help :smile:
Original post by the_alybot
Hey guys, after getting my 4 rejections for Medicine, I have decided to do Optometry instead. I did some work experience in an Opticians and I actually really enjoyed and I wouldn't mind doing for a career at all. The problem is that I've applied for City and got a conditional of A*AA. I'm a resit student and having just done my January Exams I've gone from a CCC to a BBB. I am planning to resit again but I don't know how possibly it will be for me to meet this offer. Being realistic I think I will manage an AAB or ABB in the summer exams if I work excruciatingly hard, which I intend to. I really want to go to City and I've seen on the Optometry Stalking page that quite a few people have been given the same offer as me so do you think I should firm it or decline it and apply for another Optometry course such as Anglia Ruskin or where they are much more lenient? Also, if I was to firm my City offer and get the AAB/ABB how lenient do you think City would be? Because it's currently in UCAS extra now and the past few years it's been in Clearing. What do you think? I'm really stuck on what to do now :/ I can't sort out my student finance either or go any further until I figure this out so I would really appreciate any help :smile:

Do you have a fourth AS science at C+ grade? If so they should have offered you AAB anyway.

If other optom schools pop up in extra then by all means apply to one of those, but if you've been offered A*AA and you won't make it then I wouldn't bother putting it down. The fact that it was your backup choice doesn't change the fact that your offer is too high to make with BBB (unless you're particularly surprised at those grades an expected better).

Basically; A*AA looks unlikely for you (IMO) and you'd be better looking at whoever pops up in extra/clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest