The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user3456
oooooh! thanks you i didnt know that! and Ulster is probably your number one choice then! Thanks for all your help!! :biggrin: p.s another question:colondollar: you know when you've like completed your UCAS and are sending it to your referee like how do you do that do you pay first and stuff or :s-smilie::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I think I'd rather Manchester though. But I don't think I'll get an interview let alone an offer (I must have self-doubt issues lol).

Yeah, you have to pay first. Once you do that it sends to your referee and they cam attach your reference. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I think I'd rather Manchester though. But I don't think I'll get an interview let alone an offer (I must have self-doubt issues lol).

Yeah, you have to pay first. Once you do that it sends to your referee and they cam attach your reference. :smile:

aaaah i'm sure you will! your predicted grades sound so good!!! aha thank you!! btw do you think its silly to use one of my choices for pharmacy cos my grades aren;t optom standard ?
Reply 62
p.s i'm gonna sound s annoying i know hassling you with all these questions, but i'm just adding anglia ruskin to my choices on UCAS but some criminal convictions declaration came up and said: Please tick this box if you have any spent or unspent convictions or other punishments that would show up on a criminal records check.

I have no criminal convictions so didn't tick it but then on the summary of your choice it says Criminal Conviction Declaration: Undeclared

am i doing something wrong? :confused:
aaaah i'm sure you will! your predicted grades sound so good!!! aha thank you!! btw do you think its silly to use one of my choices for pharmacy cos my grades aren;t optom standard ?

I think it'll be difficult to get in if you haven't put anything in your PS about Pharm. Maybe Orthoptics at Sheffield or Liverpool is a better option? Because that's still related to the eye, you see (it's to do with muscles of the eye and whatnot). That's what my back-up is. :/ But put down Pharm if you want, I'd just be prepared that they might not give you an offer even if you meet the grades.

For the criminals thing, undeclared is what it should say (unless you DO have a conviction). Really scared me too, made me think they thought I was lying!
Reply 64
I think it'll be difficult to get in if you haven't put anything in your PS about Pharm. Maybe Orthoptics at Sheffield or Liverpool is a better option? Because that's still related to the eye, you see (it's to do with muscles of the eye and whatnot). That's what my back-up is. :/ But put down Pharm if you want, I'd just be prepared that they might not give you an offer even if you meet the grades.

For the criminals thing, undeclared is what it should say (unless you DO have a conviction). Really scared me too, made me think they thought I was lying!

mmmmmmmmmmm you've saved my liiiiiiife hahah thank you!! i was like ^o) i'm a criminal?! :eek:

yeaah might do actually will have a think about it :smile: thank you muchosssss :biggrin:

good luck!!
mmmmmmmmmmm you've saved my liiiiiiife hahah thank you!! i was like ^o) i'm a criminal?! :eek:

yeaah might do actually will have a think about it :smile: thank you muchosssss :biggrin:

good luck!!

Haha yeah. Good luck to you too. :smile:

Make sure you actually want to do orthoptics before applying. Yes, it also involves the eye ... but it is very different and applying for both because they involve the eye is comparable to someone applying to marine biology and having surf science as a back up because they both involve the sea.
Original post by TheSownRose
Make sure you actually want to do orthoptics before applying. Yes, it also involves the eye ... but it is very different and applying for both because they involve the eye is comparable to someone applying to marine biology and having surf science as a back up because they both involve the sea.

I'd rather do Optom but I did Orthoptics a suitable back-up. I'ce shadowed people in both professions and they seemed equally as interesting. -shrug-
Original post by britchick
UCAS processed my application for Optometry on 20th October, and I received a conditoinal offer from Anglia Ruskin yesterday at 3:45pm :biggrin::biggrin:
And I know what you mean, when I had a meeting with my careers advisor at school a couple of months ago, he said in all 40 years of being a careers advisor, I was the first person he'd come across who wanted to study Optometry. Weird huh?

WOW well done on the offer :biggrin:
I have an interview at Bradford on the 23rd november
well i say interview... its an applicant open day that you need to go to before an offer can be made

Is anyone else going??

Yeah when my head of sixth knew what i was doing he said 'i cant wait to see your statement, i've never seen an optometry one before' its like EEK
where else have you applied (you may have said in other posts and i apologise if you have :L)
I know i have literally just posted but i wanted this to be short and snappy.

Is anyone going to the Bradford interview/applicant open day on the 23rd??
I'm hoping for it to be my insurance
Reply 70
Original post by Fardip
I applied for:

Manchester
Cardiff
Anglia Ruskin
Bradford

:smile: What about your predictions/subjects and AS results?

Yeah I asked them how many people apply, they said about 600 and there are about 80 places and they give 200-300 offers. Same as Bradford. I duno bout the rest lol :s-smilie:

oh cool, I got an invitation to that applicant evening/interview thing at bradford the other day, wondering if you or anyone else is going?
I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths for a2; predicted 3 A*'s what about you?
Arrr I'm so scared about manchester! That's a lot of offers for the number of places though! they actually expect most applicants not to meet their offers :| lool
Reply 71
Original post by ravsingh
oh cool, I got an invitation to that applicant evening/interview thing at bradford the other day, wondering if you or anyone else is going?
I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths for a2; predicted 3 A*'s what about you?
Arrr I'm so scared about manchester! That's a lot of offers for the number of places though! they actually expect most applicants not to meet their offers :| lool

I haven't heard from Bradford yet.. lol Well done to that, I asked Bradford about their Interview process, it's just a formal meeting where they get to know you with other people and they show you the university.. Not really an interview but you still gotta attend.. :wink:

That's sick.. I'm doing the same thing.. lol I'm predicted A*AA.. Got AABD at AS.. What did you get?

I know.. I think Manchester, Aston and City are the most competitive ones..
Reply 72
Original post by britchick
I was the same, I was 1 raw mark off a C overall in Physics, and got a re-mark because I knew how bad a D looks, but it went down 4 raw marks! Was so incredibly annoyed. But I gotta keep it as a subject.

I'm applying for
Anglia Ruskin
Aston
City
Manchester
Plymouth

And I'm so happy about having an offer for AR because it's my first choice - when I went to the open day back in February I simply fell in LOVE with it, it's so lovely. And its entry requirements are most realistic for me, because all the others require an two As in your sciences, but I'm predicted AB in mine so it works out well.

I was thinking of applying to the MOptom at Manchester but I was reading through the Manchester prospectus for either 2011 or 2012 entry and it said you should apply for the BSc, and you apply for the MOptom while in your second year.

I heard somewhere that the MOptom course only allows 4 or so students to do the course? And its the only uni in the UK to offer a masters so I really hope that's not true... Don't know where I heard that, on the internet, at an open day?

Thats right, only 4 students they take on. You need a first or something in year 1 so thats over 70%.. which is HARD to get at university. Im not even hoping to get into MOptom. But yep, 4 students there'll be from my year from 74. Only 74 students they took on this year :eek:
Reply 73
Original post by Fardip
I applied for:

Manchester
Cardiff
Anglia Ruskin
Bradford

:smile: What about your predictions/subjects and AS results?

Yeah I asked them how many people apply, they said about 600 and there are about 80 places and they give 200-300 offers. Same as Bradford. I duno bout the rest lol :s-smilie:

Not even 80 in my year, only 74! 200 offers were given this year, its strange how they just expect people to not get in. :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by Rosi M
Not even 80 in my year, only 74! 200 offers were given this year, its strange how they just expect people to not get in. :s-smilie:

I guess their expectations are correct as even though they give out so many offers, only 74 got in, in your year! :| Didn't realise that so many people don't achieve their offers.
Reply 75
Original post by Rosi M

Original post by Rosi M

Hey, what were your predicted grades?
Reply 76
Original post by Rosi M

Wow.. You got into Manchester with a B in Biology? Isn't their requirements AAB including A in Biology?
Original post by Rosi M

It's not just that though -they have to take into account that people get an offer and decline it. A lot of people at Cardiff got offers at Manchester which they rejected and I'm sure it's the same the other way around.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by ravsingh
I guess their expectations are correct as even though they give out so many offers, only 74 got in, in your year! :| Didn't realise that so many people don't achieve their offers.

Yep i know from student room alot of people just narrowly missed their offer, and like Scribblet just said, alot of people firm other universities and reject manchester so dont worry too much :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by BinaPatel
Hey, what were your predicted grades?

AAA/A*AA
Narrowly missed it but not complaining :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest