The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2 Psychology - Please read in thread let help each other

Hey

So I must be one of many on this site who on the 7th has Edexcel Unit 2 Psychology. AS off course.

I am starting revision from 8 on the morning tommorrow.

I am going mental at this prospect of all the learning.

I created this thread because lets simply help each other out.

This thread can be used to show progress, if parts peeps dont understand and generally anything on this unit.

I had so far only learnt two thing from the spec so far. I am aiming for a B.

So come on peeps join and lets get together and feel alright lol. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I like this idea haha. Wow, 8 in the morning :O That's pretty intense. I'm slowly going through the whole of the textbook and making notes... so far I've done about 2 pages :l
Reply 2
Original post by riotjane
I like this idea haha. Wow, 8 in the morning :O That's pretty intense. I'm slowly going through the whole of the textbook and making notes... so far I've done about 2 pages :l

Thanks. :smile:

I started at 09:30.................I so far done ID, Ego, Superego and Conscious, Preconcious and Unconscious.

Gonna do revision till 19:30 tonight then going out to watch the match.

From tommorrow to 6th June gonna try to smash this unit.

I make two mistake in unit 1 and its got my confidence low.
Reply 3
Original post by kingshan16
Thanks. :smile:

I started at 09:30.................I so far done ID, Ego, Superego and Conscious, Preconcious and Unconscious.

Gonna do revision till 19:30 tonight then going out to watch the match.

From tommorrow to 6th June gonna try to smash this unit.

I make two mistake in unit 1 and its got my confidence low.

I'm doing biological first and have almost finished methodology - only the statistics left (the pain of my life). I'm staying in to revise instead... knowing me, I'll probably fall asleep in the middle of it lol. At least now you know what your mistakes are - I think one of the problems with this syllabus is the lack of past papers. It's really hard to understand the mark scheme without the backlog of past papers like they have in maths.
Reply 4
Original post by riotjane
I'm doing biological first and have almost finished methodology - only the statistics left (the pain of my life). I'm staying in to revise instead... knowing me, I'll probably fall asleep in the middle of it lol. At least now you know what your mistakes are - I think one of the problems with this syllabus is the lack of past papers. It's really hard to understand the mark scheme without the backlog of past papers like they have in maths.

Haha yestarday managed to do five bits.

Learnt dibs study.

Which trust me is so long.
Reply 5
Hey, im so glad I found a thread for the psychology exam.
Can we all contribute and make like a list of the studies which support each theory, etc? My notes arent the best, so I need some help in making a list of supporting/contradicting studies.

Thanks
Reply 6
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31788314#post31788314
I attached notes on the other thread, please check them out :smile:
Reply 7
Briefly sate critisisms on Freuds theory lacking credability put forward by massom (1989) ?? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Bi0logical
Briefly sate critisisms on Freuds theory lacking credability put forward by massom (1989) ?? :s-smilie:

For this question, Masson proposed three criteria to which Freud failed to meet in his theory of gender development.

1) Freud was sexist - He focused mainly on boys overcoming the oedipus complex and gave little attention to girls overcoming the electra complex, saying it wasnt as important.

2) The analyst may have caused the participant to experience false memories, due to the analyst power (think back to unit 1 milgram study, how his participants continued due to experimentor power)

3) The final criticism Masson had was that Freud was subjective, in his views that all sexual feelings related to the childs parent were to do with the oedipus complex, and never suggested that it could have been as a result of child abuse from a young age.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Hello, for each of the three approaches that we study we obviously have to do an investigation or study or whatever you want to call it.

I was wondering if anyone can help me as to what they did for the psychodynamic, and also the learning.

I knw for biological we did some brain lateralisation study to do with puzzles and gender, but can anyone help me as to the others?

Oh I've just remembered my learning one, it was an observation oiutside of blockbusters lololol, to see what genre of film different categories of people are likely to rent.

So now its just the psychodynamic? Can anyone help?

Thanks
Original post by razzyfizzle
Hello, for each of the three approaches that we study we obviously have to do an investigation or study or whatever you want to call it.

I was wondering if anyone can help me as to what they did for the psychodynamic, and also the learning.

I knw for biological we did some brain lateralisation study to do with puzzles and gender, but can anyone help me as to the others?

Oh I've just remembered my learning one, it was an observation oiutside of blockbusters lololol, to see what genre of film different categories of people are likely to rent.

So now its just the psychodynamic? Can anyone help?

Thanks

I cant remember but wasn't it something based around 'Cramer's study' ?
is this a good evaluation of the Psychodynamic explanation of gender

Psychodynamic theory involves Dream analysis, free association and case studies (Little Hans). The nature involves the instincts (id), unconscious, and development in stages; phallic stage.
The nurture involves superego, which works with the 'moral principles' and gender behaviour from parents and society. It is not scientific however cannot be falsified. Child identify with the same sex parent.
Little Hans (1909) supports the psychodynamic explanation of gender. Little hans was a boy which Freud did a case study on including dream analysis, free association and clinical interview. Little Hans was going through the Oedipus complex. He had a dream about a plumber coming to their home and replacing his widdler with a bigger one. Also in another dream, hans mother said to him 'stop touching your widdler or I will call the doctor to come and chop it off' This dream can be associated to castration anxiety which occurs in the Oedipus complex. There are also other dreams that can be associated with the Oedipus complex, so this supports the theory. However there are criticisms for the study, t was a case study so only tested on one person, therefore it cannot be generalisable. There is also no scientific evidence, it cannot be measured because the theory is based on the unconscious mind which cant be tested.
Goldberg and lewis (1969) also support the psychodynamic theory. They observed mother-child interactions to see if it accounted for differences in the behaviour of the boys and girls. They observed them in a lab with a range of toys. Mother-daughter pairs showed greater physical closeness and played together with dolls. Mother-son pairs showed less proximity and tended to play with noisy toys alone. However, the criticisms of this study are that it lacks ecological validity, it was not in a realistic setting. Also internal validity was lacking because it did not take factors such as society into account.
Mead (1935) found that children behave in the same way as their same sex parent. This supports the psychodynamic theory as it shows that children internalise with the same sex parent who also become their superego. Criticisms of this study are that it ignores society which is a great influence.
There are also contradicting studies of the explanation; Fagot and Leinbach (1993) agreed that children in the age of the phallic stage are interested in their genitals, but are generally aware of their gender at a much earlier age. He argued the parents dress them gender appropriate.
Children growing up in a one-parent family have normal gender development. Also what about growing up in a gay or lesbian family, Green (1978) found all, but one children growing up in these families had heterosexual preferences.

Summary;
Supporting: Little Hans (1909), Goldberg & Lewis (1969), Mead (1935).
Contradicting: Fagot and Leinbach (1993), Green (1978)

How can I improve on this, is there any other studies supporting/contradicting.
Also, how have you guys learned to plan an 'Evaluation' question.
I just noticed, there are two studies in details; Little Hans and Dibs?

Which ones are you guys doing
This includes some Evaluation points which I have highlighted;

Freud's methods are said to be unscientific because concepts such as the unconscious mind and castration anxiety are not testable. The conclusions drawn are not scientifically shown and are not easily repeated, so are unlikely to be reliable. You could, however, argue they are unfalsifiable, not capable of being proved false.

A major problem with Freud's arguments is that other explanations can be found for Little Han's phobias. For example, Bowlby, who was also a psychoanalyst, argued that Han's phobia could be explained in terms of attachment theory. Bowlby believed that most of Han's anxiety arose from threats by the mother to desert the family. In fact Han's parents did eventually split up.

A further, and simpler, explanation for Han's phobia is that he was classically conditioned to fear horses. Or in other words, Hans witnessed a horse fall and collapse in the street. Hans then generalised this fear to all horses. (Learning Approach)

The focus on sexual matters and unconscious processes has led to psychoanalysis and other psychotherapies being developed. The ideas of the 'talking cure' and the 'listening cure' have been built upon, as is evident in modern counselling techniques.

A major problem with Freud's explanations are that they are androcentric (bias in favour of males). This study describes the Oedipus complex which is of course unique to boys. Girls, Freud argued, develops penis envy, which later becomes converted into a desire to bear children as the young child begins to recognise that it is impossible for her to develop a penis of her own. (Sexist)

The idea of the Oedipus complex is ethnocentric (culturally bias) because Freud assumed that all boys must experience this stage. However Freud was writing about a particular group of people at a particular period of time. Many cultures including our own do not have families consisting of a Mother and Father living together in one home.

Case studies are likely to involve subjective interpretations (qualitative data) and this can lead to the data being unreliable. Little Han's father was a follower of Freud, therefore may have interpreted the data in a biased way.

Han's father provided Freud with the information needed for analysis, rather than gathering it directly from Little Hans. However, Freud did try to work on information gained directly from Hans when he talked freely about his problems, so the data can be seen as valid. Qualitative data, as collected here is comprehensive and detailed.
Reply 14
Just finished Biological Approach methodology.. apart from inferential statistics :s-smilie: Just starting the content part now with the CNS, neurotransmitters, genes, hormones and brain laterilsation.. fun!
Reply 15
I have done so learnt 3 studes and 7 meth bits.

But I got the spec today and just saw what I need to learnt and wrote all the important bits which need doing so I am just going to learn those.
Reply 16

We have to do both don't we?
Btw thanks for the notes on the other thread, they're really good. I read some of your evaluation points and they're really good too.

I was just wondering how many evaluation points do you all write on the 12 mark question? I wrote only 2 in my mock and my teacher said it was fine, and after Jan exams when I did the same thing, then did she tell me to write at least 4 -_- Some teachers...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17

We do Little Hans and Bachrach et Al
Reply 18
Has anyone got any evaluation points (strengths & weaknesses) of John Money's 1975 study for the biological approach?
Reply 19
Original post by oli_042
Has anyone got any evaluation points (strengths & weaknesses) of John Money's 1975 study for the biological approach?

+ Lots of Brendas likes and dislikes were taken through out the study which would have been important for the progress of the study
- The case study is difficult to generalise as it is a very unique case study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending