The Student Room Group

M3 Edexcel June 16th Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I actually hope there are at least 2 very difficult questions so silly mistakes won't cost you that much!
Reply 41
guys! do we need to know how to prove the centre of mass of cylinders, hemispheres etc, using integration??
Reply 42
Hi there, i plan to take this exam in january along with M2 i understand you need some parts of core 4 for it, what chapters in C4 will i need to learn before learning M3?
Reply 43
Will revise for this module tonight!
Reply 44
Original post by philippat
guys! do we need to know how to prove the centre of mass of cylinders, hemispheres etc, using integration??

Except for A hemisherical shell, a conical shell and solid right pyramid i think we should be able to derive the rest. Don't quote me but that's what my book says- althought it's pre-08 published.
Reply 45
I'm not going to bother learning the proofs, want to just get on with as many questions as possible.
Reply 46
grade boundaries for june 09 are great. I wish they are the same for this paper :/
Reply 47
Original post by A.Kin
grade boundaries for june 09 are great. I wish they are the same for this paper :/

Did you do the paper? It was really hard! I managed a high UMS on that one, but it gave me a headache doing it!

I've got a horrible feeling a question like the following will come up, so have I done it right?

Two red lines are two different elastic springs.
Original post by chaz1992
Did you do the paper? It was really hard! I managed a high UMS on that one, but it gave me a headache doing it!

I've got a horrible feeling a question like the following will come up, so have I done it right?

Looks right to me! I haven't seen a question like that in a past paper yet, so maybe?
Original post by tee-jay
Hi there, i plan to take this exam in january along with M2 i understand you need some parts of core 4 for it, what chapters in C4 will i need to learn before learning M3?

Integration (no trig functions). Just basic integration that we learnt in C2, and integration of x^-1. That's all I can think of?! And just basic differentiation and the chain rule for kinematics. But honestly your M2 book will cover it all it's fine, you won't need to look over any C4.
Reply 50

Is it always 2 tension forces acting on a string in that position?
Reply 51
Original post by mir3a
Is it always 2 tension forces acting on a string in that position?

they are two different springs so I guess so.
Reply 52
they are two different springs so I guess so.

Looks like one to me..

Edit: Just read the description below the actual picture :tongue:
Reply 53
And also on the next page, p60. For part b of example 13 it says the amplitude is 0.4m. Surely though it is 0.5? As the eqm position is 2m from either end, right in the middle, and the ball is pulled out to 2.5m from one end. The initial displacement if 0.5 so surely amp = 0.5. No idea how they've got 0.4m. Surely a typo. Could anyone verify this one please too? Starting to think I'm going nuts!
Reply 54
Original post by kerribbz_x
Integration (no trig functions). Just basic integration that we learnt in C2, and integration of x^-1. That's all I can think of?! And just basic differentiation and the chain rule for kinematics. But honestly your M2 book will cover it all it's fine, you won't need to look over any C4.

Thanks mate
Original post by mfc20
Yep also two tensions if the particle is in the middle of a string.

Also, I've noticed the examples through the NEW M3 textbook seem to have a few mistakes in. One which is annoying me now is on page 59,chapter 3. Its part d of example 12. They get the time to be 2.47s, but that makes no sense...I keep getting exactly half that value. Could people have a look of it/try do the question and reassure me I'm not going insane trying to do this one?

Take note that it's starting point is from P. Also the particle would move through O to the left and back through O to the right again and all the way back to P. Hence why it goes slack 4 times the distance (0.8) and it experiences a whole period of SHM (1/2 period at P and the other half at A),So it goes taut 4 times(1/4 period each), each time covering the distance 0.4.....does this make any sense :s-smilie:?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by snowflakesblues
Take note that it's starting point is from P. Also the particle would move through O to the left and back through O to the right again and all the way back to P. Hence why it goes slack 4 times the distance (0.8) and it experiences a whole period of SHM (1/2 period at P and the other half at A), when it first starts taut and becomes taut, twice again (There and back) after passing through O. So it goes taut 4 times, each time it covers the distance 0.4.....does this make any sense :s-smilie:?

As you replied it clicked...makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply!
Original post by mfc20
And also on the next page, p60. For part b of example 13 it says the amplitude is 0.4m. Surely though it is 0.5? As the eqm position is 2m from either end, right in the middle, and the ball is pulled out to 2.5m from one end. The initial displacement if 0.5 so surely amp = 0.5. No idea how they've got 0.4m. Surely a typo. Could anyone verify this one please too? Starting to think I'm going nuts!

yes I think it's 0.5 to. Maybe this could explain why, there might just be a typo in the book...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1657100
Reply 58
Original post by tee-jay
Thanks mate

They did ask integration by parts in Jan 2011
Reply 59
what key formulas do we need to learn?

(I heard we don't get any formulas for volumes of various shapes, this true?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending