Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

DSA Help?

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia, anxiety problems and suffer from extreme panic attacks, I also have a past with eating disorders, depression and other mental health problems.

My doctor has advised me to get a non-medical helper/life coach to help me get through university due to the severity of my problems. My doctor has written me a letter for all medical problems.

I was just wondering how I apply for a non medical carer as when I spoke to the help desk at uni, I was told all i could get was a fellow student to help me, my doctor said that that was uesless to me as i was in need of help from somebody qualified and according to the direct gov website, it says nothing about my helper needing to be a student.

I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you applied for DSA?
    It has to be applied for like student loans. The uni do not provide paid for help, it has to paid for through DSA. It is possible to get what you ask for through DSA.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah DSA is the way to go. Some unis will provide you with study support whether or not you are in receipt of DSA, but it'd only mean you get very limited support. My uni for example, they would give you a tutor whom you can make an appointment to meet once a week or sth to discuss your work, do editing etc etc. I think you first step is to have a chat with the study support / disabillity team at your uni, ot the uni you are going to go, they would be in a position to give you further advice and answer any question you have.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2011
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.