The Student Room Group

Tattoo Pain Tolerance Tips

Hi,

I just recently had the first session of my first ever tattoo, after 3 and a half hours the outline is done, it is a symmetrical pattern that covers the entirety of both feet, so you can imagine the pain :P

Basically the design is all in dotwork, like the traditional Samoan tattoos so it is a very long task.

In getting it i was extremely anxious and to be honest terrified and the pain was pretty bad and i just wanted to know if pain is increased through that anxiety so next time, in being calmer it wont hurt as much and also if anyone has any tips on tolerating or easing the pain of tattooing?
Beauty is pain.. oh wait.
I honestly think that it will hurt a lot more if you're expecting it to hurt. Can imagine feet to be quite a tender area though. Personally for my tattoos I like to put in headphones or read a book, just so I'm not concentrating on it at all.
Reply 3
Original post by theultimateplu
I honestly think that it will hurt a lot more if you're expecting it to hurt. Can imagine feet to be quite a tender area though. Personally for my tattoos I like to put in headphones or read a book, just so I'm not concentrating on it at all.

Thanks, I think i will try listening to music next time, i dont think i could read a book since i was in so much pain i couldnt speak or text :P and yeah feet are agonizing, i dont know what its like in comparison since i dont have any others but mine covers the whole foot so over bone and close to the sole are killers let alone the sound it makes over bone so music might help block that out too :P
Reply 4
focus ona yellow triangle while closing your eyes

and breathe deep in and out
Sounds nuts, but I had my first tattoo done today, and I found chewing gum helped. Whenever it came to a sensitive part and hurt more, I chewed the gum extra hard. I also had a scarf to clench (thought it didn't stop me holding my boyfriend's hand, woops.) However mine was on my back, so I imagine it would hurt less than yours.
But honestly, I'd find some way to distract yourself. Take someone with you to chat to, even if it means you just listening to them, or even hum to yourself! Not like anyone will hear you over the machine buzzing.
Reply 6
Original post by theultimateplu

I got my first 1 yesterday and after my sister compared the pain similar to childbirth I was expecting to pass out, about 10mins in I actually wanted to ask the guy when does the pain kick in? It's really not sore at all just boring. The guy wasn't that chatty which is dissapointing but completly understandable :smile:

anyway to sum up - tattoo pain is 80% in the mind imo
Reply 7
Original post by Emily2402
Thanks, I think i will try listening to music next time, i dont think i could read a book since i was in so much pain i couldnt speak or text :P and yeah feet are agonizing, i dont know what its like in comparison since i dont have any others but mine covers the whole foot so over bone and close to the sole are killers let alone the sound it makes over bone so music might help block that out too :P

Yeah it always hurts a lot more when it's on a bony area instead of a fleshy one. Like my first tattoo was on the fleshy part of my shoulder, and it really didn't hurt that much. Then my second one was on my back, on my shoulder blade specifically, which is much more bony, and although I still coped with it fairly easily, it was a LOT more painful.

I've never been in so much pain during tattooing that I have to use any techniques, but when I've previously been in a lot of pain, I've imagined being in a room with my pain, and the pain is represented by a big black blob. Then I imagine walking out the room and locking the door behind me. It doesn't always work, but when it does it helps. You can still feel the pain, but it's sort of like it's not a problem.

In terms of more traditional techniques, I have a friend who had a large tattoo all over the really bony part of the bottom of his neck. He said it was agony, but he listened to music through it, and also had a sly toke beforehand, if you know what I mean :wink:
Feet are well-known sensitive area to get tattooed, but if you've already sat through 3+ hours, it won't get any worse..

General tolerance tips are, stay relaxed and breath slowly.. tensing up, sitting / lying uncomfortably, irregular or fast breathing will make your body more agitated, if you make yourself relax then the pain will feel more 'distant'.

Drink or eat. I always take a bottle of Lucozade Sport, keep you hydrated and keeps your sugar levels up.

Chat or listen to music.. takes your mind of the pain. I love the studio I go to, great atmosphere, always good music to listen to and great conversations / banter between us customers and the artists / staff... We almost always get a good debate going and I end up forgetting about the pain altogether.

If you're not up for that then just listen to your own music, close your eyes and your mind won't focus on the pain as much.

That's pretty much all I can recommend. I don't mind the pain that much but like I said I do a lot to take my mind off it.

To be fair if you can sit through 3 hours on your feet then you're doing well, loads of girls I've seen on Facebook say they barely last an hour lol.

Stick at it, good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by cdsmith1990
Feet are well-known sensitive area to get tattooed, but if you've already sat through 3+ hours, it won't get any worse..

General tolerance tips are, stay relaxed and breath slowly.. tensing up, sitting / lying uncomfortably, irregular or fast breathing will make your body more agitated, if you make yourself relax then the pain will feel more 'distant'.

Drink or eat. I always take a bottle of Lucozade Sport, keep you hydrated and keeps your sugar levels up.

Chat or listen to music.. takes your mind of the pain. I love the studio I go to, great atmosphere, always good music to listen to and great conversations / banter between us customers and the artists / staff... We almost always get a good debate going and I end up forgetting about the pain altogether.

If you're not up for that then just listen to your own music, close your eyes and your mind won't focus on the pain as much.

That's pretty much all I can recommend. I don't mind the pain that much but like I said I do a lot to take my mind off it.

To be fair if you can sit through 3 hours on your feet then you're doing well, loads of girls I've seen on Facebook say they barely last an hour lol.

Stick at it, good luck :smile:

Lol thank you, im amazed i sat through it myself, the problem is it covers both feet, its an intricate design and its all in dots and only the outline is done so far :P i probably have at least another 2/3 sittings of 3 hours each before both feet are done fun fun fun

I think im gonna listen to music and try and stay calm since last time i was extremely tense and it was probably the tensing of my whole body that tired me out and made the pain worse

apart from lucozade what else would you say is good to drink/eat whilst in there, does it made a huge difference?
Original post by Emily2402
Lol thank you, im amazed i sat through it myself, the problem is it covers both feet, its an intricate design and its all in dots and only the outline is done so far :P i probably have at least another 2/3 sittings of 3 hours each before both feet are done fun fun fun

I think im gonna listen to music and try and stay calm since last time i was extremely tense and it was probably the tensing of my whole body that tired me out and made the pain worse

apart from lucozade what else would you say is good to drink/eat whilst in there, does it made a huge difference?

General things really..

Try to get a good nights sleep before.. My appointments are usually at 10am which means getting up at 7am as I have a bus and train to catch..

So yeah a good nights sleep, something filling to eat for breakfast like a few rounds of toast or a bowl of porridge or something..

I try to avoid caffeine as like many things (alcohol, ibuprofen, energy drinks) it can thin your blood and make the tattoo bleed more..

I tend to have a big breakfast then take a Lucozade and something like a Boost bar.. Glucose is the key really so anything like that would help.. Even a bag of Harribo is it's sugary and nibbling them will help pass time.

Quick Reply

Latest