The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty nice ESPN (gasp!) article about Newcastle today/yesterday. Worth a read. The author's point is basically "it would be a tremendous shame for a side at the top of its game [Newcastle] to be denied [CL] by a bigger club that simply went through the motions."
Reply 3841
Original post by Dioufy
@Darth Vader, We have Feo who wants to be a striker, Yoa Kouassi Gervinho who goes to africa next year & Oxo who is better in CM. I wouldn't say we have "enough wingers", nothing on the level of Hatem, Wenger is a massive fan of the boy so you never know.

@MrPhil, Are we not a big club in England? champions league football on the spin since 98/99 season, always in the top 4, not a top club in england? you sure pal?

@Abbadon27, Many top players try and engineer moves to better clubs or to increase their pay, don't think maturity comes into the equation..

Anyway I don't want to make the Newcastle thread about Arsenal, you guys have had a great season, I have enjoyed watching Tiote, Cabeye, Colo, Ben Arfa, Ba & Cisse and would like to see the geordie circus grace europe again. I fondly remember Ginola against Fenesvaros, Tino against Barcelona, Bellamy & Shearer in the champions league and your waifer cup exit under Souness lool
You said 'top club', not 'big club'. Clearly you are miles behind the best in the business and are heavily reliant on Van Persie to score most goals.

Of course, you're still one of the best in the country. I'm just giving you banter in response to your attempted wind-ups about Ben Arfa, who I agree is class. And he plays for Newcastle as well, what a ledge. I like many of your players also on that note though!
EUROPE!
Europe, here we come! :awesome:
Europe baby!!!!
:ahee: :woo:
Get your passports oot!
Reply 3847
LOL @ Arsenal 'We've been in the champions league for __ years, yeah, but what's the point in being in it if you're never going to try to win it or improve your league position?

Why on earth would a club want to come 3rd/4th forever? How about trying to errm, improve? Just a suggestion, you're a big enough club to be up there in the top 4/5 teams in Europe.

Anyway, looks like you guys are in Europe now, you're welcome! And cheers for Carroll. :wink:
Original post by MrPhil
You said 'top club', not 'big club'. Clearly you are miles behind the best in the business and are heavily reliant on Van Persie to score most goals.

Of course, you're still one of the best in the country. I'm just giving you banter in response to your attempted wind-ups about Ben Arfa, who I agree is class. And he plays for Newcastle as well, what a ledge. I like many of your players also on that note though!

Claiming Arsenal aren't a top/big club is bordering on delusiona. Arsenal will be challenging for the league next season, and when you consider we lost two world-class players last summer, that's nothing short of a miracle and a testament to the ability of our manager. Regarding your point about van Persie, you could say the same about Barcelona with Leo Messi, if they lost him they would be considerably weaker. I know it's not going to happen, but it's annoying when people make it seem as if it's a bad thing a club is reliant on a single individual.
Reply 3849
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Claiming Arsenal aren't a top/big club is bordering on delusiona. Arsenal will be challenging for the league next season, and when you consider we lost two world-class players last summer, that's nothing short of a miracle and a testament to the ability of our manager. Regarding your point about van Persie, you could say the same about Barcelona with Leo Messi, if they lost him they would be considerably weaker. I know it's not going to happen, but it's annoying when people make it seem as if it's a bad thing a club is reliant on a single individual.

Just like last season where you were in place to win it but lost to United and ended up 4th? Brilliant.
Original post by KingGoonIan
Get your passports oot!

but i thought we need to rely on chelsea's progress in the champions league
Original post by James A
but i thought we need to rely on chelsea's progress in the champions league

Nope, not at all. Liverpool winning means that the FA Cup final will contain two teams that will qualify for the Europa League already. That means that the other Europa League spot goes down to 6th in the league, meaning that providing we finish top 6 (which is pretty much certain), we're in Europe.

The only thing Chelsea in the Champions League can do is stop us getting in the Champions League through the league, and to do that they have to win the thing (which is the most unlikely scenario for them).
Great doc for any football fan.

[video="youtube;JlCAYl"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=JlCAYl pyJbw[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=JlCAYlpyJbw
(edited 12 years ago)
Yohan Cabaye interview.

[video="youtube;awktXiNkPL8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awktXiNkPL8[/video]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stu Laverty
Nope, not at all. Liverpool winning means that the FA Cup final will contain two teams that will qualify for the Europa League already. That means that the other Europa League spot goes down to 6th in the league, meaning that providing we finish top 6 (which is pretty much certain), we're in Europe.

The only thing Chelsea in the Champions League can do is stop us getting in the Champions League through the league, and to do that they have to win the thing (which is the most unlikely scenario for them).

Ah, so basically if we get fourth place, we still have to rely on chelsea not winning the champions league. haha what's the odds of chelsea winning it :rofl: i hope not anyways
Reply 3855
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Actually I never denied Arsenal were a big club. Top club? Maybe not. It's all relative, but your failure to win a trophy in recent years doesn't really support that statement (yes I know Newcastle aren't a 'top club' either).

Pretty sure you won't be challenging for the title next year, though I'd rather you were because I'm bored of Man Utd winning and can't stand the thought of City winning.

Of course Barcelona are heavily reliant on Messi, but your squad is hardly amazing without Van Persie.
Reply 3856
Original post by MrPhil

Of course Barcelona are heavily reliant on Messi, but your squad is hardly amazing without Van Persie.

Barcelona without Messi: Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Sanchez, Mascherano, Fabregas.

Arsenal without RVP: Song, Ramsey, Bendtner, Rosicky & Walcott.

:lol:
Not one of our players listed on the PFA player of the year/young player of the year nominees. :confused:
I think they could have included Colocinni in the main award. But those awards are a joke anyway.
Reply 3859
Cabaye should have been included in main award as better than Parker!

Krul in young award, only 1 clean sheet short of Hart and in a worse team, to be fair!

Latest